Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #5621
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol at ktrains strava guys.......wow, first bike commute of august (I was on vacation for the first two weeks) and what happened to the sun? I clearly need to get my on-bike lighting charged up.

also, according to my weather instruments at home it was 10 this morning at 5.45 - sure did not feel like 10 degrees felt two weeks ago as it was cool - will need to bust out my sleeves and keep a long sleeve shirt on hand
Old 08-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #5622
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
lol at ktrains strava guys.......wow, first bike commute of august (I was on vacation for the first two weeks) and what happened to the sun? I clearly need to get my on-bike lighting charged up.

also, according to my weather instruments at home it was 10 this morning at 5.45 - sure did not feel like 10 degrees felt two weeks ago as it was cool - will need to bust out my sleeves and keep a long sleeve shirt on hand
Yeah, I usually leave around 6:30 and it's been frosty for the last week or so.
Yesterday was 6 degrees in the morning, and today didn't really feel any warmer.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:26 AM   #5623
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found it a lot warmer today than yesterday. I only had arm and knee warmers on today, yesterday I needed a jacket.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #5624
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely the time to make sure you have working front and rear lights on the bike.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #5625
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Definitely the time to make sure you have working front and rear lights on the bike.
Any recommendations? I just got a bike and have been trying to use it for all my running around in the community (to the gym, grocery store, etc.). Gym trips are in the morning and it is already quite dark when I ride. I don't think I need anything too extreme (the pathways and streets I ride are somewhat lit up) but I want to make sure I'm seen too. Oh, yah. Also: I'm kinda cheap.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #5626
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
Any recommendations? I just got a bike and have been trying to use it for all my running around in the community (to the gym, grocery store, etc.). Gym trips are in the morning and it is already quite dark when I ride. I don't think I need anything too extreme (the pathways and streets I ride are somewhat lit up) but I want to make sure I'm seen too. Oh, yah. Also: I'm kinda cheap.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think bike lights are more so that you can be seen, rather than for providing illumination so you can see where you're going.
Because of this, I wouldn't spend much. You can get lot of cheap, small battery-powered LED lights on Amazon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #5627
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
These are great for your handlebar, or even better if you strap it to your helmet:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5028-1...ED-Front-Light

For rear, take your pick:
https://www.mec.ca/en/products/gear/...-lights/c/1301

except the little tiny one, don't get that. I like something that takes AA batteries on the rear, as it lasts a long time. The front needs a USB to charge, but only once every week or so, depending on your ride. It's worth it for the brightness. I too am cheap, but don't go to cheap. I made that mistake, and ended up spending more!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #5628
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have this combo on my bike:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-7...ot-SL-Lightset

There is research being done (mainly by Trek/Bontrager) that running lights during the day significantly reduces the chances of collisions.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/d...unning_lights/

http://bicycletimesmag.com/bontrager...hts-for-bikes/

Quote:
Bontrager says the data it has collected show accidents decreased 25 percent after automobiles adopted daytime running lights, and cycling accidents could be reduced by a third. Because 80 percent of bicycle accidents occur during daylight hours, the brand feels there is a big opportunity for positive change.
If you want to run lights in the day you need something a bit more powerful, and the lightset I posted fills that need. I run a flashing red rear light all day and all night whenever I am on the bike.

If you're just concerned about night time, it is more so that others can see you but it is really nice to be able to increase your own visibility also. Anything that MEC carries will be fine. The front LED that Fuzz posted is fine, but I do quite a bit of night riding when they days are short and I really appreciate my front light's ability to actually light up the path in front of me.

To me it is worth spending a bit more to make sure I am visible in all conditions and I can illuminate the road in front of me.

One final note, if you end up purchasing a bright front light, please point it down! If you point it straight out, you will blind other cyclists coming towards you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 09:04 PM   #5629
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I checked out "Le Ride" tonight at Eau Claire Cineplex. A really fun movie. Two guys trying to recreate the route of the 1928 Tour de France on bikes from 1928. 150 miles per day (240+km) over 28 days.

They would jump back to historical footage throughout the film as they did the same stages.

I think it was a one-day showing but if you get a chance, check it out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #5630
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm definitely the "logs everything guy" on Strava.

Back at it again this morning, love how CP fixed up the Fox Hollow crossing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #5631
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fox hollow crossing was just fixed yesterday!
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #5632
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
If you are cheap, I found the bargain in the random cycling section @ Army & Navy.

Rear red LED tail light on clearance for $1.99. Comparing it to my $7.99 light from MEC, it works just about the same.

I wouldn't make the trip for anything else though, mostly Chinese cycling junk but I did pick up one of those handy zippered bands to store my phone and wallet when out cycling as I don't trust my bike jersey pockets to hold my phone and not have things fly out when I hit a bump.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #5633
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I checked out "Le Ride" tonight at Eau Claire Cineplex. A really fun movie. Two guys trying to recreate the route of the 1928 Tour de France on bikes from 1928. 150 miles per day (240+km) over 28 days.

They would jump back to historical footage throughout the film as they did the same stages.

I think it was a one-day showing but if you get a chance, check it out.

Cool - just listened to Phil (also host of Amazing Race, intriguing guy) talk about this on Tim Ferriss podcast.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #5634
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If anybody blew past a commuter without a seat this morning, that was me.

Backstory - half way into my morning commute my seat explodes. I was fearing the worst, as if my seat post snapped or something. I had literally busted a nut. I never thought I'd see the day, it sawed off right at the threads. So I trudged my way into the office with seat in hard and a very bruised ego and sore calves from riding outside the saddle for 7kms.

I assumed it was a quick and easy fix. Boy was I wrong. Not one of the 3 bike shops I went to downtown (The Bike Shop, MEC, or Bike Bike) had a single nut and bolt that would fit in my seat mount (and they call themselves repair shops). So I reluctantly bought a new seat post for my ride home (will sell to any CPer for half price if interested). Who knew that needing one nut and bolt would be so difficult, literally a pain in my ass . And to cap off the rough commute / attempted fix, I swallowed a fly on the ride home while traveling up wind. Good news though, as I was swishing around some water at a stop light, I spat out the fly.

Hopefully everybody else had a better Thursday
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reneeee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #5635
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I was only about 12 minutes away from cyclepath south and they had the bolt and nut I needed. I was annoyed, because I had done this in the past, and I knew I had the parts I needed at home, but, like you I found it was tough biking while standing.

I now make sure I carry the spare nut and bolt in my seat bag. in a pinch, you might be able to use a regular nut/bolt.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #5636
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cindy Whitehead did 49 miles with no seat after breaking hers 1 mile into a race in 1986. She won it

https://mmbhof.org/cindy-whitehead-buccowich/

Haven't broken one since the 80's when I over rotated a jump and snapped the sissy bar off my old banana seat bike
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #5637
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

This morning my fitbit tells me I covered my 17km commute in 42 minutes (I would have been about 2 minutes quicker, but I had to wait for a c-train) - if my math is right this is an average speed of about 24 kph.

I felt like I was flying this morning; however, it is starting to look like my fitbit may not have connected to my phone and ultimately this ride my not feed to my strava......grrr.

as of now, it looks like I will have a wind from the north to help me home, so, maybe I can get something out of the day.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #5638
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've tried for the life of me to sync my Fitbit to Strava but so far nothing. Do you need premium strava?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #5639
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
I've tried for the life of me to sync my Fitbit to Strava but so far nothing. Do you need premium strava?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
This is my experience too, and I am also not premium on Strava.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #5640
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not premium on strava - if you google connecting the two it is a two or three step process ad most of the time it works.