Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2017, 01:30 AM   #921
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it amazing the US hasn't blown itself apart over race. Forget WWIII, Trump could be the catalyst for a new US civil war.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #922
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, with some citizens proudly flying nazi flags, I don't know what to say. Who even makes nazi flags? Like seriously, what for?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...167144232.html

Quote:
The video shows Braswell driving to Love’s home, spotting the flag and a Trump sticker on his truck, then asking, “Hey! What’s up with the Nazi flag?”

Love asks who she is and says, “What’s that flag got to do with you?” He tells her his name and, in language laced with profanity and hand gestures, tells her it’s none of her business and she should leave. He says he’s not a Nazi but “this is Nazi f---ing America.”
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #923
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Good for the lady in the video. Great way to handle an outward display of hate and discrimination.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #924
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

TIL a guy I used to work with when I worked up north is both a neo-nazi and part of an outlaw motorcycle gang... he has 14 and 88 tattooed on the palms of his hands and has posted several pictures of him on his bike with his vest on that has a 1% patch.

Just another scumbag I'm deleting off Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #925
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Well, with some citizens proudly flying nazi flags, I don't know what to say. Who even makes nazi flags? Like seriously, what for?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...167144232.html
From the article:

Quote:
“That used to be a religious symbol in India until Hitler got ahold of it,” Love told the Gazette. “A lot of people don’t know that. … I agree with the symbol as it started out as a religious symbol. But as far as backing Hitler and being a white supremacist and Hitler, I’m not into that.”

The Gazette reported that Love took the flag down and promised to replace it with another Confederate flag.
This is the thing...yes you are correct that before Hitler it meant something different. BUt things have changed. It means something completely different now and we RESPECT that the meaning has changed to something repulsive so we don't use it anymore in the developed world who has an undestanding of WWII history.

It's the same thing with the confederate flag...I don't care if you think it means something else or it meant something else in the past. The current meaning is offensive and it needs to be treated in the same manner. Of ocurse there is a difference if you truly want to be honest...the confederate flag never started out with a good meaning. It was always about slavery and racism.

And then the goof says "I don't use the nazi flag to stand for nazis but I'll take it down and replace it with a confederate one". Ya sure you don't use the nazi flag to stand for white supremacy and nazis. Uh huh.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #926
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Washington Post does a service to this issue, by looking at it through the lens of how this issue would be covered if it happened in another country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f997c840be70
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #927
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Speaking of people making poor decisions with flags... Hamilton racist flies confederate battle flag *at work*, gets into a shouting match with a member of the public, gets fired... refuses to attach his name to his beliefs and attempts an "it was just a joke, bro" defence.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/h...ring-1.4257178
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #928
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
TIL a guy I used to work with when I worked up north is both a neo-nazi and part of an outlaw motorcycle gang... he has 14 and 88 tattooed on the palms of his hands and has posted several pictures of him on his bike with his vest on that has a 1% patch.

Just another scumbag I'm deleting off Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, I get what the 88 tattoo is as well as the 1% or outlaw tattoo. But the 14?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #929
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

14 is a neo-Nazi leader's "14 words": "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children"
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #930
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
This is the thing...yes you are correct that before Hitler it meant something different. BUt things have changed. It means something completely different now and we RESPECT that the meaning has changed to something repulsive so we don't use it anymore in the developed world who has an undestanding of WWII history.
Not only that but that symbol (or some variation of it) is part of a religion sure, but he is still flying a Nazi flag. A swastika with a white circle on a red background is a Nazi flag. That flag is not part of any religion. He is clearly a liar and his excuse is pathetic. Are we suppose to be believe he is aware of obscure religious symbols in India but unaware of Nazis?

He is also using Trumps way of speaking with "A lot of people don’t know that." Which, at least for Trump, translates to "someone just told me this."
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #931
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
14 is a neo-Nazi leader's "14 words": "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children"
Ok, I thought it meant "I am a racist idiot with a%% backward views of how the world works"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #932
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Ok, I thought it meant "I am a racist idiot with a%% backward views of how the world works"
I thought it was the number of teeth the average white supremacist had left in his mouth.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #933
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
I thought it was the number of teeth the average white supremacist had left in his mouth.
It's that plus average IQ score.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #934
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe it's time to consider a new username?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #935
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Not only that but that symbol (or some variation of it) is part of a religion sure, but he is still flying a Nazi flag. A swastika with a white circle on a red background is a Nazi flag. That flag is not part of any religion. He is clearly a liar and his excuse is pathetic. Are we suppose to be believe he is aware of obscure religious symbols in India but unaware of Nazis?

He is also using Trumps way of speaking with "A lot of people don’t know that." Which, at least for Trump, translates to "someone just told me this."
Boy, he seems like the EXACT kind of guy that would be at home in India. What with all the religious Swaskitas around. /sarcasm

It totally reads like someone told him, use "India" as a defense when someone calls him out on his bigotry.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #936
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeeeeeeeez. Totally not racist. /s

https://twitter.com/Yoojin_Cho/statu...25436556161024
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #937
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's how Jesus pronounced it too, so it's ok.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #938
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Boy, he seems like the EXACT kind of guy that would be at home in India. What with all the religious Swaskitas around. /sarcasm

It totally reads like someone told him, use "India" as a defense when someone calls him out on his bigotry.
Well, then he decides he would put up a confederate flag instead? Seriously, if peace was on his mind, he would have looked for a legitimate piece of work with the symbol on it, not a nazi flag.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #939
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
It's not racist, in my personal view. They are just taking down a statue of my hero, a man who stood for slavery and segregation. What if I went down the street and took down a statue of their monkey person *cough* I mean "hero", who stood for equality and liberty for all people and other un-'murican nonsense like that. It has nothing to do with race.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:42 PM   #940
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can someone please explain the 1% thing. I tried googling it and got math hits.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote