Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #41
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Hey just to be serious for a minute.. I'm a big fan of "live and let live" if you can. Not to mention, what goes around comes around.
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #42
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Ahhh - Tatyana Marisol Ali, my teen crush...

Pretty sure she's married to Valeri Bure.

edit: NM lol that was the chick from Full House.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #43
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a question.

How is the landlord doing him a favour by letting him pay his rent in cash?
How is that more benficial than paying with a cheque?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #44
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe this guy signed up in 2007 just to wait until November 2010 to start trolling.

Either that or he is the "sketchbag" landlord and is getting some heat from his tenants.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #45
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
Pretty sure she's married to Valeri Bure.
Valeri Bure is married to Candace Cameron
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #46
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Valeri Bure is married to Candace Cameron
Yeah I ninja edited it and you still were faster.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #47
Mr.LOL
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
its simple, if you dont like the guy, or he is a slum lord like you suggest he might be, move. if you want a receipt for some reason then ask for one, he'll say no and you move. but it really just sounds like you are getting a good deal by paying cash under the table and want to report him anyway. if you are happy living there great, if not move. but its not your job to catch tax evaders, I dont see why you care.
At first it was a good deal because I would only pay for the time that I was there (I live in Calgary) then eventually it became a monthly thing. With what he told me about giving the money to somebody (his accountant?) and the renovations, I didn't feel like I was getting the under the table special.
Mr.LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #48
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally don't like it when people are this nosy, but to each their own. I guess my ethical standards aren't quite up to Jesus-like yet.

Its kind of like if you go to your friends house and notice they're stealing satellite or getting illegal cable. Yah, it's breaking the law, but why can't you mind your own business?
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #49
Mr.LOL
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I can't believe this guy signed up in 2007 just to wait until November 2010 to start trolling.

Either that or he is the "sketchbag" landlord and is getting some heat from his tenants.
I never said sketchbag and I'm not trolling.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #50
Ramsayfarian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I suspect that as a child the OP used to write down the names of his classmates who acted up when the teacher left the classroom.
Ramsayfarian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ramsayfarian For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #51
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Just a question.

How is the landlord doing him a favour by letting him pay his rent in cash?
How is that more benficial than paying with a cheque?
Really is no benefit to the renter unless they agreed to a lower rate if paid in cash which doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #52
Mr.LOL
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I suspect that as a child the OP used to write down the names of his classmates who acted up when the teacher left the classroom.
hi ooooooooooo
Old 11-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #53
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

I've dealt with some real slumlords in my time. Real ones. Not this "he's treating you fine but may not be paying taxes" bullcrap. Save the term slumlord for the real slumlords. This guy may be a tax evader, but try living in an apartment where the landlords hides the fact that it floods during every rain, and spiders the size of your hand live beneath the edge of every non-finished wall. That, and the sinks from the two apartments above you drain down a pipe to drop the final foot into a hole behind a cabinet in your apartment.

Slumlord. I scoff, good sir.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #54
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's very simple. If you think the person is committing tax fraud and you want to snitch on them, do it. If you don't want to snitch on them, then don't.

Not sure what all the rest of it has to do with anything.

If you think your landlord isn't fulfilling their obligations as a landlord under the landlord tenant act, be more detailed and we can give input on that. If you don't have a signed rental agreement you have pretty much all the power since that's one of the few reasons you can withhold rent.. well until there's a copy.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #55
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

In reality it is none of your business. It would be similar to saying you have control how a retailer remits their gst and business taxes. If they are doing it improperly, that is between them an revenue Canada. I suppose it is within your right to tattle tale, but really, that is just a smarmy twerpy thing to do. And being that your unsure, and say this guy got audited, and you are wrong, are you willing to pay his costs in relation to the audit? If not, keep your nose out of it.

That being said, if the conditions are as bad as you say, I have a better solution......move.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #56
Mr.LOL
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I've dealt with some real slumlords in my time. Real ones. Not this "he's treating you fine but may not be paying taxes" bullcrap. Save the term slumlord for the real slumlords. This guy may be a tax evader, but try living in an apartment where the landlords hides the fact that it floods during every rain, and spiders the size of your hand live beneath the edge of every non-finished wall. That, and the sinks from the two apartments above you drain down a pipe to drop the final foot into a hole behind a cabinet in your apartment.

Slumlord. I scoff, good sir.
Point taken, this guy and the living conditions I'm in are the worst I've ever had to deal with.

Thanks to all the non-"smokin in the boys room" type responses I got in this thread.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #57
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's pretty surprising what is actually required of a landlord by law as far as living conditions are concerned actually. Could be the best and only option is to move, as trying to compel the landlord to improve conditions may not be possible (if they are meeting the minimum requirements of the law).
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #58
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.LOL View Post
Point taken, this guy and the living conditions I'm in are the worst I've ever had to deal with.

Thanks to all the non-"smokin in the boys room" type responses I got in this thread.
Did you expect high fives?? People generally don't want to hear about tattle tales and their exploits.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #59
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So if I let him know I'm going to do it, it's ok by your standards?
Huh?! Try reading what's on the screen.
If you're horribly opposed to him not paying tax and don't care if you get evicted when he's shut down for running an illegal suite/not paying taxes/whatever - report him. Don't know why you'd bother, but go for it.

If you're feeling vindictive because you don't think you're getting a good deal or he's wronged you in some other way, be an adult and talk to him about that issue. Don't report him for tax evasion just because you're po'ed about something else in the rental situation.

You paid no deposit, have no contract, and paid cash in hand for the last year. I'm not sure what part of this situation is surprising to you.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #60
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't realise CP was so cool with not paying taxes. I think he is a rotten slumlord who is breaking the law, is that a good enough reason?
There's a saying that I like...."If you mind your own business then you won't be minding mine." Sticking your nose in other peoples business never turns out good. Be grateful for the fact he's given you a renovated place to live. I'm sure the other tenants aren't crying the blues over not having to pay a security deposit.

If he's not paying taxes the govt will most likely catch up with him down the road.