Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2022, 10:00 PM   #1621
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
Did you see that look over her shoulder as she was walking away? She’s not coming back. She had to dress the part to be credible as an attorney. Otherwise she wouldn’t have got in.
She had her moxie back. They were smoking cigarettes, and hatching a plan like old times. I don't know if Saul ever gets out, but Kim is back, they're speaking again, and who knows what is next.... that's a happy ending in this universe.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:01 PM   #1622
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jimmy will never get out but Kim will keep visiting him IMO. That confession was reassurance that he was the man she knew and loved. She was the juror he talked about needing to convince.

I am gonna miss this show. Seeing it go from light-hearted and comedic to this tragedy was incredible.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:33 PM   #1623
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I liked the finale and thought that it was well written. It was nice to see that Jimmy still has a soul and Kim is the person to enable his decency; so much so that he was willing to die in prison as long as she saw him repent. I also think that in confessing to it all, he was absolving Kim of the guilt she's lived with after their divorce.

It was somewhat expected that Jimmy would do a 180. Let's recall that after years of Walt's "I'm doing it for my family" excuses, he finally admitted to Skylar that he was doing it for himself.

Great show. I will miss it deeply.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:41 PM   #1624
ajr4013
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Great ending to a truly amazing run of television. Going to miss it a lot.
ajr4013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:48 PM   #1625
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Life in prison wasn't much different than life as Gene, only different is Kim. Prison > Omaha

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 11:11 PM   #1626
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

So many great moments in this finale. Marie steals a scene as mentioned before. Saul ####s over Bill one last time. Mike has a moment of true reflection. Walter reappears making a complete nuisance of himself over nothing, being his usual ####### self. Just as Jimmy starts his confession they show Kim through a screen, like a booth. Chucks hates Jimmy, but Jimmy, turns out, loved him in spite of the derision. News of Kim’s confession gave Jimmy the ok to come clean and take responsibility for Chucks death and to clear Hamlins reputation. Jimmy confessing set Kim free. By the end, BCS was ultimately a love story where Jimmy’s trade of 7 years for 86 being the price of his soul, Kim’s freedom and Howards name. So well done. Kinda bummed it’s finished.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 11:14 PM   #1627
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

how does Jimmy confessing clear Kim from a civil suit?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:14 PM   #1628
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought the finale was a great wrap on a great series. Definitely nothing groundbreaking, but it stuck the landing. Loved the few 'time machine' excerpts where Saul just didn't get it. At the end though, he figured it out and used his time machine to get his true love off the hook.

Someone's got to help me though. What was the scenerio in the breaking bad timeline where Saul and Walt were shackled up in that basement together? I can't place it at all...
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:20 PM   #1629
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Life in prison wasn't much different than life as Gene, only different is Kim. Prison > Omaha
It felt like the writers were saying just that with the opening scene in the prison kitchen. it sure looked just like the scenes of him working at Cinnabon.
He gets a relationship with Kim again, but he also gets to be Saul again, something I think he missed more than anything.
Great ending.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:22 PM   #1630
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
I thought the finale was a great wrap on a great series. Definitely nothing groundbreaking, but it stuck the landing. Loved the few 'time machine' excerpts where Saul just didn't get it. At the end though, he figured it out and used his time machine to get his true love off the hook.

Someone's got to help me though. What was the scenerio in the breaking bad timeline where Saul and Walt were shackled up in that basement together? I can't place it at all...
I believe it was at the vacuum repair shop after all the #### hit the fan, waiting to disappear.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:09 AM   #1631
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic ending to a brilliant show. Loved it.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:44 AM   #1632
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best tv show in history. Nothing can top this.... except the next movie. Saul Prison Break.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:28 AM   #1633
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, I'm so sad the show is over. It's starting to sink in there's no more Better Call Saul coming. What a fantastic show, despite my frustration with the direction of the last part of the season. The writing is just at a different level. I certainly hope we have more coming in the universe, but, I think that seems unlikely for a while anyways
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:50 AM   #1634
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man. I would totally be down for this!

Quote:
According to co-creator Peter Gould, Better Call Saul began as a throwaway joke in the Breaking Bad writers' room; if someone pitched an idea that was deemed to be “too silly,” they would jokingly claim: “we’ll do that on the Saul Goodman spinoff.” Even when the notion of a Saul Goodman series became a reality, it wasn’t taken 100% seriously. Originally the plan was to make a half-hour sitcom in the vein of the animated comedy Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist – which incidentally once featured Saul himself, Bob Odenkirk.

The idea was that each week, Saul would be visited by a different stand-up comedian in need of legal advice. But that premise was scrapped when Gould and Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan realized that they didn’t “know anything about the half-hour idiom,”
https://www.cracked.com/article_3499...dumb-joke.html
Old 08-16-2022, 06:10 AM   #1635
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Jimmy will never get out but Kim will keep visiting him IMO. That confession was reassurance that he was the man she knew and loved. She was the juror he talked about needing to convince.

I am gonna miss this show. Seeing it go from light-hearted and comedic to this tragedy was incredible.
They executed that ending pretty flawlessly. Loved that part about convincing only one juror.

Wonderful writing. Amazing acting. Brilliant show. Gonna miss it.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:11 AM   #1636
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I hate how right I was
Hey... s'all good, man.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #1637
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I had to stay up late for this one as AMC's servers got overloaded and I couldn't stream for a few hours. I'm still just digesting the finale. Weirdly, I still have this unresolved tension. Like, this wasn't a stereotypical happy ending where we can all move on with our lives and feel satisfied. I don't even think its a bad thing. The show wasn't meant to have a satisfying conclusion. The characters were far too complex and broken to resolve it any other way.

The one thing that I am questioning this morning is getting back to the final 4 episode arc. I feel like last night was a good story. However I feel like it could have been better with more time. We just recently spent an entire episode on a single con of mall security but then had to rush through all of this? We went from a free Gene to an incarcerated Jimmy in 70 minutes. I do value the Jeffy storyline as it did allow us to know that Jimmy could never stop and probably needed prison, I just feel like it took up a lot of time.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #1638
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know, this was a bit of a “tidying things up” rather than “hard won truth”. A guy like Jimmy admittedly having only one regret over not making more money from a scam suddenly turning on a dime, repenting and choosing life sentence over seven years in a “luxury” prison - how believable is this ending?..

Overall, I think think was unquestionably the best television show of the past decade. I am really sorry it’s over.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #1639
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where does it rank in terms of best ever? Is it better than Breaking Bad? I kind of think of them as a single entity now.

I'd put it solidly as my favorite show ever. GOT was better for a while, but got so bad. The Wire was close at times, but drifted at times. Sopranos was ground breaking and all, but this was far better overall IMO. What else is up there? Seinfeld?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:54 AM   #1640
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I don’t know, this was a bit of a “tidying things up” rather than “hard won truth”. A guy like Jimmy admittedly having only one regret over not making more money from a scam suddenly turning on a dime, repenting and choosing life sentence over seven years in a “luxury” prison - how believable is this ending?..

Overall, I think think was unquestionably the best television show of the past decade. I am really sorry it’s over.
I think Jimmy finally realized his one regret was the consequences of his actions on Kim. Jimmy cared about two things in his life, money and Kim. In the end, Kim edged out money, so that's why he threw away his deal.

I'm betting this 4 part final arc is much stronger on rewatch as a sort of long movie.

Also, I agree this is the best show of the last decade. I think the Wire survives as the best TV show so far, but this is in the conversation. I'm confident it is better than Breaking Bad and will be seen as such as time goes on.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman