Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #21
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Just finished listening....question for you guys.

If the Flames move Iginla, Cammy, Bouw, each for firsts then you go into the draft with 4 first rounders and you go into next year with a LOT of cap space.

Our own pick will be a Top 7. There is a chance that player is going to play next fall.

Now with the cap space if the Flames take on a big contract without giving up a lot of assets like Brad Richards or someone like that our line up wont be that bad.

Richards, Hudler. Glencross, Backlund, Baertschi, Top 7 Pick, Stajan, Stempniak, Horak.

We would also have in addition 3 first round prospects to add to Jankowski, Wotherspoon, and Gudreau.

I would imagine Ramo starts next year.

I talked about a Ottawa style rebuilt, but there is the Philadelphia model too. We can trade our assets for picks/prospect and then use our money to go into the FA market and plug holes and/or take on some contracts teams might want to dump.

Just a thought.
My approach would be to really try to establish how soon they think they can turn things around. Are we talking 3 years? 4 years? Longer?

For the most part decisions should be made with that in mind. The worst thing would be to sign a bunch of free agents that prevent you from having the flexibility to really build a contender down the road when you are more ready.

You still have to ice a team, and if you trade off a pile of vets, holes will have to be plugged and I don’t see enough in the system to plug them short-term. So if you want to sign a couple vets for 1-2 years that’s fine. But don’t sign guys long-term unless they can be a part of the solution.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #22
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Just got around to listening to the show. I can't say enough how much I enjoy hearing your opinions guys. Even when I may disagree on a point or two I find myself understanding and accepting your rationale way more than any member of the media.

Keep up the good work!
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #23
Wise Gamble
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good show. Nice work.