Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Ireland or Scotland?

I'm looking for CP's all knowing advice. I have some holidays to use up by the end of the year an am looking to go to either Dublin or Edinburgh. I've always liked Scotland and assumed that's where I would go, but looking into it, I'm starting to lean towards Ireland, so now I'm not so sure anymore.

I figure there's some posters that have been to one or the other, or both. Any preference? Where would you go back to? What are good sites to see?

Also, I'd probably be there 1 1/2 - 2 weeks in October due to work/available holidays. I do like museums, castles and that kind if stuff.
Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been to either, but Ireland interests me more. I'm not sure if I even have a good reason.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can do almost all of Ireland by bus in 2 weeks, while spending enough time to see a pretty huge amount of stuff.

Scotland is great, not as much to see though. There's a lot of natural beauty.

I would do Ireland and go through the whole thing. I've done it myself and could give you a loose itinerary if you'd like.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haven't been to Scotland but I have been to Ireland. I didn't want to leave.

I have been all over the world and Ireland is still in my top 3
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been to both countries, and they are both beautiful, but my personal opinion is that Scotland had more character. You could spend days exploring Edinburgh Castle alone. Aberdeen and Inverness are both worth a visit too. I still need to go back to visit Dunnottar Castle (near Aberdeen), the Orkneys, and more of the highlands.

Dublin has loads of beggar kids, but the west side of the isle is absolutely beautiful. Blarney Castle is a cool place to visit, but loaded with tourists. Star Wars is filming on Skellig Michael off the SW coast. New Grange is a world class archaeological site.

Lots to see and do in both countries. Lots of pubs to explore in both countries
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real question here is:

Scotch or Irish Whiskey?
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scotland is beautiful and majestic. Golf, Scotch, excellent quality service pretty much everywhere.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
The real question here is:

Scotch or Irish Whiskey?
Additionally if you are a Guinness fan and have only had it over here I can guarantee that it is about 10 million times better over there. No joke
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nixon45 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2014, 02:21 AM   #9
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have more pleasant memories of Ireland. For lunch one day I bought a sandwich and a bottle of wine for 5 euros (the wine was cheaper than the sandwich), and drank by the gorgeous Irish sea. Drank endless guiness at a pub northern Ireland. Explored the giants causeway, cliffs of moher, ring of kerry, and the powerscourt gardens all in 5 days.

The countryside is absolutely stunning, and needs to be explore without being constrained by a tour bus.

However, I really want to explore Scotland more. I'm currently saving up for a trip to the UK with a diving tour in Scapa Flow. You can dive down to see the German surface fleet that was scuttled by a defiant German admiral after the end of WWI.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure both would be fantastic. I'm more interested in Scotland - Edinburgh, Culloden, Inverness, Isle of Skye, the Highlands in general.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As far as cities go, in my opinion Edinburgh >> Dublin.

That said, Dublin is a really fun place for twenty somethings.

As far as countries, I can't speak as much for rural Ireland, but I found rural Scotland amazing. Among other places, I spent a couple days in Oban and absolutely loved it. We took a ferry to the Isle of Mull and rented bikes and had a great time. Oban is lovely too, really pretty harbour, and excellent seafood. One of the best meals of my life was at this little fish joint next to the ferry terminal in Oban. Only downside is Oban is a little tough to get to. Renting a car is a must.

And the scotch...oh the scotch. But don't call it that, it's just "whisky".
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're going to be there 9-10 days there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't do a bit of both without overtravelling. The two countries are incredibly close. You could leave Glasgow/Edinburgh in the am and be having lunch in Belfast after a scenic coach and ferry journey.

Ferry to Belfast is just over a couple of hours. Belfast to Dublin is only a couple hours by train and a bit more by coach. North coast is absolutely spectacular and you've got the Giants Causeway, Bushmill's Distillery and Carrick A Rede rope bridge all on top of each other that would make a comfortable day trip.

Do no harm also to have a look at Ryanair and EasyJet, you'll be blown away by how cheap you can fly internally for a cheap return but watch your bag weight.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

does Ireland have a lake monster?

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
does Ireland have a lake monster?

There's your answer right there. If you haven't gone searching for Nessie in your lifetime, you haven't lived.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Seeing as I'm from Dublin, I might as well chime in. Can't speak to Scotland as I haven't been as an adult.

Things to do in Dublin - pubs, lots of them, St Stephen's Green, Phoenix Park, Christchurch (especially the vaults), St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublinia (a medieval/Viking museum), National Museum/National Art Gallery (both free), Natural History Museum (a Victorian era stuffed animal museum. Somewhat bizarre, but one of my favourite places.) I always got a kick out of knowing that I was walking the same streets as Wilde and Joyce. If you're a fan of Ulysses, various locations from the book are signposted. I'm sure there's probably a guided tour. Guinness Storehouse and have a free pint in the Sky Bar. Temple Bar is a cobblestoned, trendy, arty area. Very popular with tourists. There's also a touristy Viking amphibious vehicle which goes down the Liffey. There's a wax museum. There's a leprechaun museum (), obviously I've never been. Go out to Howth, a fishing town just on the outskirts and get fish and chips from Beshoff's. While you're there, take the Howth Coastal Walk around the peninsula.

Great bit of advice for Dublin, but applies to most cities, is take one of those hop on/hop off tourist buses, so that you can see quite a bit, get your bearings and know where particular places are.

After Dublin, visit Newgrange. Then head north (Belfast probably has a ton to see too, never stopped there) to the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge (On a clear day, you can see Scotland) Then head west - visit the Aran Islands, can be full of tourists, but it's my favourite place in Ireland. You can rent bikes there, or you can take a guided horse carriage (bikes allow you to explore more) to Dun Aenghus.

Back on the mainland, maybe visit the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren (I've never been to either) and then drive the Ring of Kerry (Killarney is the popular tourist stop) or the Dingle Peninsula. Maybe Blarney Castle (extremely touristy, most Irish people roll their eyes at the whole thing) There are plenty of other castles to visit. The Rock of Cashel in Tipperary, in particular, looks stunning. Other places that come to mind: Dunmore Caves in Kilkenny. Powerscourt House and Gardens in Wicklow. Glendalough is another common tourist stop. There are also plenty of other places to stop, small coastal towns and the like. I'm just pointing out some of the bigger attractions.

Last edited by Swift; 08-02-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
VictoryJuice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Scotland! St. Andrews is beautiful, Glasgow has so nice charm and is a really cool place. It's more of a meat and potatoes city, to me Glasgow is the real Scotland where Edinburgh is more of a touristy place but is still very nice. Rose Street in Edinburgh is very cool, basically a road with a bunch of pubs, good place to take a walk and grab a few tenants. The west side in Glasgow is really nice and a cool place to walk around. I've never been to Ireland but I also heard its great there to.
VictoryJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #17
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
Things to do in Dublin -
I would add the GAA museum and a tour of Croke Park to that list.
http://www.crokepark.ie/gaa-museum

October not the best month but you should be able to track down a club game of Hurling or Gaelic Football.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been to both, and I think there is more to do and see in Dublin.

That said, you could easily see both with the amount of time you have.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #19
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
If you're going to be there 9-10 days there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't do a bit of both without overtravelling. The two countries are incredibly close. You could leave Glasgow/Edinburgh in the am and be having lunch in Belfast after a scenic coach and ferry journey.

Ferry to Belfast is just over a couple of hours. Belfast to Dublin is only a couple hours by train and a bit more by coach. North coast is absolutely spectacular and you've got the Giants Causeway, Bushmill's Distillery and Carrick A Rede rope bridge all on top of each other that would make a comfortable day trip.

Do no harm also to have a look at Ryanair and EasyJet, you'll be blown away by how cheap you can fly internally for a cheap return but watch your bag weight.

This is maybe the best post yet.

If you can so all that and also fit in a stop to do Galway and the Aran Islands, you've got to do it. Absolute stunner.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ireland , scotland