Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #141
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
It's not unreasonable at all to say, in a macro-sense, that its extremely rare for impact top 6 NHL FORWARDS to take 5 years to make the NHL. Doesn't mean he won't be a solid player for us but history is not on his side for becoming an elite player.

And I watched Janko with my own eyes in a preseason game last year and he was awful. Once again, doesn't mean he won't be a nice player but apparently you have to have seen every jankowski game to even offer an opinion on what kind of player he'll be
He looked fine in a real NHL game on Nov. 28
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #142
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Note that I didn't say that you couldn't form your own opinion on him - though you are putting those words in my mouth.

Instead of arguing your case for Jankowski, you choose to ridicule a fellow poster.

I don't come to message boards to fight about who is allowed to have an opinion and who isn't or what is fair to post and what isn't. I come here to learn something about the Flames and the NHL. I have no interest in furthering this, even when I expect that you will continue your ridicule with a response to this post.

I'm done.
It may have been tongue in cheek, but can't you read the post and understand my intent here? I am not just trying to roast you, but think of it this way.

May people here have actually been tracking Jankowski for a LONG time. They have seen a lot of him. Then you come in - admit you have not seen him play even a single time - and then tell us that we should lower our expectations since guys like him bust.

I may have gone a bit over-the-top in my post there, but you must at least see how you come across to the people who have actually taken the time to watch him play.

It is like you buying a car. You did all the research, and you decide to buy an Audi. They have come a long way. You have watched the engineering changes throughout their history. You then buy the car, and are about to drive it. I come by, and I say: "You know Audis really suck, right? They always break down. I wouldn't get your hopes up about this car."

You can see why your opinion rubs people the wrong way. If you have at least watched him a number of times and then formed your opinion based on this, you wouldn't get a single post with flack in it. Differing opinion? Definitely as is always the case on public forums, but not flack. I just found your post almost insulting to me (and I am sure others felt the same way too) when they have taken the time to actually do 'the research' over the years, and you come in and poo poo all over it without doing any of the research yourself. That's the problem here.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #143
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best comparable I have found so far for Jankowski is Brian Boyle.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=72656

Both were drafted in the first round out of a non-typical development league. Boyle was drafted out of St.Sebastions School, which I assume is some sort of Notre Dame setup?

Both guys played four years in college. Both guys improved their numbers every season in college and both guys led their team in scoring their final year.

Both played basically a full AHL season after college with almost identical ppg. Although Boyle saw 8 NHL games to Jankowki's 1.

Boyle split his next season (draft +6) between the NHL and AHL. His draft +7 he played a full season for the Rangers and recorded 6 points. His draft +8 he scored 35 points which was a career year. Jankowski's draft +6 has yet to be written.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #144
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
The best comparable I have found so far for Jankowski is Brian Boyle.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=72656

Both were drafted in the first round out of a non-typical development league. Boyle was drafted out of St.Sebastions School, which I assume is some sort of Notre Dame setup?

Both guys played four years in college. Both guys improved their numbers every season in college and both guys led their team in scoring their final year.

Both played basically a full AHL season after college with almost identical ppg. Although Boyle saw 8 NHL games to Jankowki's 1.

Boyle split his next season (draft +6) between the NHL and AHL. His draft +7 he played a full season for the Rangers and recorded 6 points. His draft +8 he scored 35 points which was a career year. Jankowski's draft +6 has yet to be written.
Brian Boyle needed a skating cowch to be passable.
Jankowski is a plus skater.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #145
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Brian Boyle needed a skating cowch to be passable.
Jankowski is a plus skater.
It's a results based comparison not a stylistic one.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:11 PM   #146
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
It's a results based comparison not a stylistic one.
Not a bad comparison in that case.

This is one of the reasons I find him a fascinating prospect. There really isn't exactly a prospect like him. I found Gaudreau fascinating as well as though his NHLE looked good, we really didn't know how the heck Gaudreau would REALLY translate.

Fox is becoming more interesting to me. There are a couple of other longer-term prospects that I was keenly interested in as well (one being Kanzig, and although Calgary gave up on him I will keenly be following him to see if he ever pans out, though he is a longshot).

I really enjoy watching prospects from interesting backgrounds develop.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote