Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Austin Carroll 0 0%
Dillon Dube 6 1.53%
Zach Fischer 0 0%
Spencer Foo 21 5.34%
Adam Fox 45 11.45%
Jon Gillies 50 12.72%
Garnet Hathaway 0 0%
Josh Healey 0 0%
D'Artagnan Joly 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Morgan Klimchuk 0 0%
Brett Kulak 4 1.02%
Oliver Kylington 96 24.43%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Andrew Mangiapane 8 2.04%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Mason McDonald 0 0%
Adam Ollas-Mattsson 0 0%
Matthew Phillips 4 1.02%
Emile Poirier 5 1.27%
Brett Pollock 0 0%
Daniel Pribyl 0 0%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
David Rittich 1 0.25%
Adam Ruzicka 1 0.25%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Hunter Shinkaruk 2 0.51%
Hunter Smith 0 0%
Fililp Sveniingsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 1 0.25%
Juuso Valimaki 149 37.91%
Tyler Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #21
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Not at all. I am voting for Valimaki because I believe he represents the highest probability of becoming a high impact top four defenseman. Some of the others have a higher upside, but Valimaki is about as sure a bet to be an excellent NHL player as the Flames have.
I would like to see some progression before I can get on board with that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #22
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

4th vote for Juuso
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #23
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I believe that Foo will surprise a lot of people. He is #4 for me.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:32 PM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Valimaki has a lot of votes I see, case of the new shiny toy. I voted for Fox.
If by "shiny new toy" you mean "high quality prospect", then sure.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #25
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being a point a game defenceman in the WHL in his draft year is quite impressive for Valimaki. Not a lot of players do that.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #26
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Being a point a game defenceman in the WHL in his draft year is quite impressive for Valimaki. Not a lot of players do that.
19 in the last six years including Joe Morrow (just joined his 4th organization), Derek Pouliot (tweener?) Brendan Kitchon (released by the Jets)
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #27
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was considering Valimaki, but went Kylington. More certainty at this point.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #28
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If by "shiny new toy" you mean "high quality prospect", then sure.
Despite the obvious potential, the fact remains I've never actually seen the kid play. So that reason alone, I struggle to place him above guys like Kylington. Ask me again next year, I definitely may have changed my tune. But I can totally understand why some are voting for him, first round pick, lots of possibility there and general consensus amongst scouts is that he's a safe bet to play in the bigs some day. No harm in voting for that.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #29
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been spamming the Adam Fox button since the first round but still not getting any traction.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #30
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
19 in the last six years including Joe Morrow (just joined his 4th organization), Derek Pouliot (tweener?) Brendan Kitchon (released by the Jets)
None of these are comparables... so im curious who your other 16 players are..

joe morrow and berek pouliot were NOT ppg in their draft years. next season is when they hit those marks...

brendan kichon was eligible for the 2010 draft but was passed over... he had 19 points in 70 games in his first year of eligibility... the next season he put up 81 in 64 and was drafted by the islanders a year late...

So.. ummm. yeah... none of these guys were PPG in their drafts years like Juuso Vallimaki... wondering what the rest of your list is like because these guys don't count...
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #31
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
All three of those guys had their point-per-game seasons the year after they were first draft-eligible. Pouliot and Morrow were already drafted and Kitchon was completely passed over his first year of eligibility.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #32
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington, Fox or Valimaki...Love how we've been going through seasons of amazing potential depth. First center with Monahan, Bennett, Backlund and Jankowski. Now to hope some or all of Andersson, Fox, Valimaki or Kylington make the jump.

I'm going to have to go with Kylington just because I think he's a little further along than Fox with possibly higher upside. No other basis other than gut feeling at this point quite honestly.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #33
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
All three of those guys had their point-per-game seasons the year after they were first draft-eligible. Pouliot and Morrow were already drafted and Kitchon was completely passed over his first year of eligibility.
+ those guys all have various holes in their games, like skating, or defensive acumen.

Valimaki did it all. That's impressive. For a prospect (and especially one available relatively late in the first round) he doesn't have any real holes in his game, just needs to continue to develop his game and work on putting on a bit of size. He is good to great at everything.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #34
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Crap. I voted Kulak because he's already got NHL games and still has the potential to make top 4 on an average NHL defense. He gets manhandled in the corners and once his confidence is broken he is an AHL defenseman, but when he's on he looks like a very capable 2 way defenseman.

I like all the younger guys better for their potential though.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #35
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I would like to see some progression before I can get on board with that.
Fair enough. But the team did have him ranked in their top 11 this draft. As good as Andersson, Kylington, Fox, etc have been since their draft years, I don't think any of them have improved their stock above where Valimaki's sits already. Would Andersson or Kylington go top 12 in a re-draft? I highly doubt it. I know someone in an earlier thread was hating on draft position but there's a reason they had Valimaki ranked so high this year, they feel he has top pairing or top 4 potential.

To me Valimaki's upside is as high as any of the other defensemen with less question marks on his game. Kylington still has defense/strength issues. Fox has has size/defense issues. No big weaknesses for Juuso.

It's a balancing act trying to figure out upside vs certainty of achieving it. I think Juuso is a much better bet to make the NHL compared to Fox/Kylington and I don't think he's sacrificing much upside to do so. He's a puck rusher, point producer too but one that can also log big minutes and excel defensively.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #36
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still on Fox for me until he is picked. I think he is the best of our defensive prospects right now. I don't think there is much to choose from (or certainly none of us are knowledgable enough) to differentiate between the ceilings or likelihood of these 4 prospects.

So everyone who isn't picking Fox must be an idiot
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #37
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Still on Fox for me until he is picked. I think he is the best of our defensive prospects right now. I don't think there is much to choose from (or certainly none of us are knowledgable enough) to differentiate between the ceilings or likelihood of these 4 prospects.

So everyone who isn't picking Fox must be an idiot
Picked Fox for the combination of potential ceiling on draft day (top 4 and exceptional PP QB) and progression since then. Kylington would be very similarly ranked for me, for similar reasons. I voted Janko first round because he looks NHL-ready now and his upside is 2nd line centre. Parsons is raw but looks like a developing franchise goaltender. Andersson has a high probability of being top 4 but may need another year (I think Kulak will be #6 this year). Valimaki will be next for me, possible top 2 D but no way to gauge progression. Then, I may finally go with someone who's not a D-man again. Not sure whether I'm more excited about the number of prospects on D or nervous about how far I would go down the list before picking another forward.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #38
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Fair enough. But the team did have him ranked in their top 11 this draft. As good as Andersson, Kylington, Fox, etc have been since their draft years, I don't think any of them have improved their stock above where Valimaki's sits already. Would Andersson or Kylington go top 12 in a re-draft? I highly doubt it. I know someone in an earlier thread was hating on draft position but there's a reason they had Valimaki ranked so high this year, they feel he has top pairing or top 4 potential.

To me Valimaki's upside is as high as any of the other defensemen with less question marks on his game. Kylington still has defense/strength issues. Fox has has size/defense issues. No big weaknesses for Juuso.

It's a balancing act trying to figure out upside vs certainty of achieving it. I think Juuso is a much better bet to make the NHL compared to Fox/Kylington and I don't think he's sacrificing much upside to do so. He's a puck rusher, point producer too but one that can also log big minutes and excel defensively.
I fully understand the implications of his draft ranking. And I wasn't doubting his skill level.

But my post was directed at a comment that he was the surest bet to be an NHLer (or something along those lines). The draft is a snapshot in time. In order for me to get on board with that comment, I need to see some progression.

If he was a top 5 lottery pick, different story.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #39
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny that Gillies has been in the top 3 for the last two years, and now it looks doubtful to see him in the top 5 this year.
are we just more impressed with a few newer, lesser known commodities, or has his stock fallen due to his play and we're now being more realistic on his future?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #40
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
I believe that Foo will surprise a lot of people. He is #4 for me.
The problem with Foo is that he's already 23 and has no pro experience. Had impressive numbers last season, but in a weaker conference. Of anyone on the list I think he'll go higher than he should because he's a recent pickup. He's older than Shinkaruk, Klimchuk and Poirier, but I couldn't say he's any better than those three. I would put Mangiapane definitely ahead of him. A couple of years younger and had a good rookie AHL season. Phillips scored 50 goals for the Victoria Royals as a 18 year old. Foo had 13 goals in the AJHL at 18.

I don't think Foo is in my top 10.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post: