Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #21
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
James Mirtle @mirtle
Marc-Andre Fleury waived his no-movement clause for expansion earlier this season. Must have been hard playing through that all playoffs.

Renaud Lavoie
@renlavoietva
Marc-André Fleury accepted the Penguins request in February to waive his no move clause for the expansion draft. Only for Las Vegas.
Was bolded part meant to be sarcastic? Many, many players will be exposed in the expansion draft.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #22
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was Vegas I would have my poker face on right about now...its not like they need MAF
Old 06-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They are keeping Murray and gaining space either way...I am saying try and move him for something more than they could potentially lose in the expansion draft. I'm sure that option is still on the table
It depends on MAF's no trade list. I assume he wants to be a number one. How many teams actually need that at this point? Vegas and Calgary, maybe Winnipeg, Vancouver or Philly? And keep in mind that Pittsburgh would have to take a goalie back to expose (and if Vegas doesn't take said goalie, they have cap issues). So I doubt they'd want to take on Smith from AZ, for example, just to expose him, because they'd have to keep him at a pretty high salary.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #24
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If MAF doesn't want to come here over Vegas it just says he doesn't care about winning anymore and is only in it for the paycheck

in that case we don't want him anyway
Or he just doesn't like want to play in Canada like a lot of other players. He's been in the league awhile and has three cups, can't blame him for not wanting to play under the constant spotlight. Also doesn't mean he's going to stay in Vegas. There are a few teams that still need a goalie that are in a better position to win than Vegas will be.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Assuming Winnipeg is also on his no trade list, it is hard to figure where else he could land. Philly? Either way, I hope the Flames can make a deal with Vegas to pick up a Raanta/Grubauer type.
There has been some speculation that Fleury could wind up in Philly via Vegas but that seems a bit far fetched. This isn't Kris Russell who signed with 2 rival teams because due to their proximity to his hometown. Perhaps Fleury loves Pennsylvania and wants to stay in that part of the world?

I do think that Fleury/Grubauer will be the starting duo for the Knights with Subban in the AHL. Which could result in Raanta being a good trade chip fornthe Knights
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #26
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If I was Vegas I would have my poker face on right about now...its not like they need MAF
Yeah, I honestly wouldn't pick Fleury (unless it was to flip) if I were them. Lots of other good options for goalies.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #27
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I'm surprised he waived. Getting bought out at 2/3rds and resigning as a UFA seems like it would have been more lucrative for him and would make whoever he signed with more competitive. That's a lot of loyalty to a team getting rid of you.
I think it is pretty much a hand shake deal Fleury had with Pittsburgh to waive after the playoffs. The other side would have been trading him to one of the 18 teams on his list during the season rather than going along for the ride on a cup contending team. I think it shows the loyalty from Pitts side as they probably could have gotten a lot more in the terms of assets to help the future of the team had they traded him during the season.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #28
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let's be serious though, it's George McPhee.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It depends on MAF's no trade list. I assume he wants to be a number one. How many teams actually need that at this point? Vegas and Calgary, maybe Winnipeg, Vancouver or Philly? And keep in mind that Pittsburgh would have to take a goalie back to expose (and if Vegas doesn't take said goalie, they have cap issues). So I doubt they'd want to take on Smith from AZ, for example, just to expose him, because they'd have to keep him at a pretty high salary.
Finding a goalie to expose is not difficult...think random career backup, not Smith or someone like that

Last edited by dino7c; 06-12-2017 at 01:08 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #30
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a league that rewards losing I don't want a veteran goalie to steal games so my expansion team can finish 10th in the west at absolute best
Old 06-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #31
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
Or he just doesn't like want to play in Canada like a lot of other players. He's been in the league awhile and has three cups, can't blame him for not wanting to play under the constant spotlight. Also doesn't mean he's going to stay in Vegas. There are a few teams that still need a goalie that are in a better position to win than Vegas will be.
I have never understood the "don't want to be in the spotlight" line of thinking. Isn't that why you started playing the game? In hopes of becoming great and being in the spotlight? The PR videos he has done also does not indicate a guy that wants to remain outside the spotlight. Then you take into consideration the fact that as the first starting goalie in LV history he will really be in the spotlight. If he decides to remain with LV that screams to me as a guy who has his 3 SC rings and will be going through the motions to collect a salary.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #32
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Was bolded part meant to be sarcastic? Many, many players will be exposed in the expansion draft.
huh?
and how many played through to the cup final, eventually winning with the team he's been with for 15 years knowing he'd be gone to an expansion team weeks later..??
its pretty obvious why Maf's situation was unique.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #33
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Pitt going to pay for them to take Fleury or they just going to take someone else? Huge win for Pitt either way as they keep Murray and don't have to trade Fleury.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Finding a goalie to expose is not difficult...think random UFA career backup, not Smith or someone like that
That solves the cap issue, I suppose. But it still causes some issues - for example, the Yotes only have Smith and Domingue and they still need one to expose. So if they kept Smith and send Domingue back (because Pittsburgh won't take him) now they have two $5M plus goalies.

So you have to have a team that (a) needs a starting goalie and (b) has a goalie to send back that Pittsburgh can use to expose. And if they then lose him, they then have to get a new backup.

So the Yotes don't really work for a deal. The Canucks could if they aren't re-signing Miller. They could send Bachman back and have a MAF/Markstrom duo. Calgary works. Winnipeg works. But I suspect both are on the no trade list. Philly works if they don't re-sign Mason. But would Pittsburgh trade with Philly? Buffalo could work I guess (but there's a decent chance its on the no trade list).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is Pitt going to pay for them to take Fleury or they just going to take someone else? Huge win for Pitt either way as they keep Murray and don't have to trade Fleury.
Is Murray even exposable? Hes still a rookie isnt he?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #36
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Three pro seasons including the AHL.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #37
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
How is this a question after all the Murray and MAF talk the last year haha.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #38
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I have never understood the "don't want to be in the spotlight" line of thinking. Isn't that why you started playing the game? In hopes of becoming great and being in the spotlight? The PR videos he has done also does not indicate a guy that wants to remain outside the spotlight. Then you take into consideration the fact that as the first starting goalie in LV history he will really be in the spotlight. If he decides to remain with LV that screams to me as a guy who has his 3 SC rings and will be going through the motions to collect a salary.
There's a difference between a spotlight and a constant spotlight.

Outside of Canada they can enjoy more privacy when they're not playing, as they're mostly not celebrities the way they are in Canada.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #39
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
There's being in the spotlight when you're on the ice, and then there's being in the spotlight while at Safeway buying some milk.

If I was a Canadian hockey player, I'd probably want to play somewhere else too.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Three pro seasons including the AHL.
Right, but what constitutes a 'Pro-Season?'

Hes only played ~100 NHL games over 2 years including playoffs and around ~70 AHL Games.

Great goalie, but he doesnt play much.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote