Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Potential Power of Season Ticket Holders to Keep Flames in Calgary Long-Term?

Last night I had a drunken conversation with a couple of pals who have season tickets. I was shocked to hear they’re on the fence about renewing. (I mean, these are DIEHARD Flames fans who have spent six figures between them supporting the organization in recent years.) They cited several factors, which can be summed up as: "Why support a company that takes their most loyal customers for granted?"

This is obviously just one anecdote. But it got me wondering how the larger base of season ticket holders feels right now about committing thousands of dollars each year to this organization. Season ticket holders have supported the Flames in Calgary through some pretty bad years. For the organization to blackmail Calgarians in this economic climate feels like such a kick in the nuts.

I’d be devastated to the lose team, and I wouldn’t ask the following question if I didn’t feel so betrayed by Ken King. (And more recently, Brian Burke’s threats.)

My question: if season ticket holders were to organize, how many of them would it take to make the Flames organization commit to staying in Calgary for the next decade? In exchange for the written commitment to stay in the city, the group of season ticket holders holders would presumably commit to re-upping their annual support.

Or could such a tactic go badly sidewise and actually force the team out of the city?
fotiou22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's posturing by the organization to get what they want from the city and in their eyes hopefully cause enough hooplah from the public to make the city cave.Teams not going anywhere. Don't fall for the traps man.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
It's posturing by the organization to get what they want from the city and in their eyes hopefully cause enough hooplah from the public to make the city cave.Teams not going anywhere. Don't fall for the traps man.
Do you think it is going to work for them or go the other way? I am extremely pissed about the threat and I imagine alot of other fans are too.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
How is this following for the traps? It's more like responding to posturing with posturing.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotiou22 View Post
How is this following for the traps? It's more like responding to posturing with posturing.
It's a pathetic attempt by the flames ownership group to get fans emotionally riled up about potentially losing the team, to then put pressure on city council to pay for the damned thing. Thankfully your buddies you were talking to, as well as a majority of Calgarians and city council, aren't falling for it.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

They aren't going anywhere (short term) and IMO people are overreacting when moving is mentioned.

In this scenario I think it would have a more negative impact. STH is guaranteed money for the club. Take that out of the equation and things get worse.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the team moves, hopefully it's somewhere with a nice climate. Old me would like a nice climate, and I will follow.

Last edited by memphusk; 06-09-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: I'm stupid.
memphusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #8
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If the Flames move and Calgary gets an expansion team (or relocation) I would bet good money they will name the team the Calgary Iginla's.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #9
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

everyone needs to take a big breath, take nothing personally. This is a negotiation
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shotinthebacklund For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let me get this straight:

-- Pay two to ten thousand dollars a year for 41 evenings
-- Receive no guarantee you will be entertained on a given evening (only 2 seasons in 8 qualified for the playoffs)
-- Get told by the billionaire owner your tax payers are required to support his capital asset
-- Receive threats from the organization to take its services elsewhere if tax dollars are not provided (even though you're paying them!!)
-- You can receive the same form of entertainment for free from a simple Google search

And now you're contemplating if you should continue to give these people thousands of dollars?

Take any other similiar product. Let's say Cineplex Odeon offers 41 movie nights for 5 thousand dollars and can't promise a single evening will show a good movie. And the tax payers must pay for the building otherwise they'll build a theatre someone else. All while Google searches show all those 41 movies for free right at home.

I personally think anyone who gives these people a single penny is a bloody moron. And I watch all 82 games if I so choose
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #11
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
everyone needs to take a big breath, take nothing personally. This is a negotiation
Everyone understands that this is a negotiation. But as both fans and taxpayers, why choose simply to be a bystander?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm a bit disheartened with how all of this is going aswell, and I had to think alot about the renewal. If they were to leave, and I know you're all thinking hypotheticals anyhow, I'd just get center ice and the Flyers would be my #1
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I'm a bit disheartened with how all of this is going aswell, and I had to think alot about the renewal. If they were to leave, and I know you're all thinking hypotheticals anyhow, I'd just get center ice and the Flyers would be my #1
I think Nashville would my new #1. More likely than that, I'd cherry pick a different #1 each year.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #14
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

-- Receive no guarantee you will be entertained on a given evening (only 2 seasons in 8 qualified for the playoffs)
-- Get told by the billionaire owner your tax payers are required to support his capital asset
-- Receive threats from the organization to take its services elsewhere if tax dollars are not provided (even though you're paying them!!)
-- You can receive the same form of entertainment for free from a simple Google search

And now you're contemplating if you should continue to give these people thousands of dollars?

Take any other similiar product. Let's say Cineplex Odeon offers 41 movie nights for 5 thousand dollars and can't promise a single evening will show a good movie. And the tax payers must pay for the building otherwise they'll build a theatre someone else. All while Google searches show all those 41 movies for free right at home.

I personally think anyone who gives these people a single penny is a bloody moron. And I watch all 82 games if I so choose
2 out of 8 good movies is a pretty good ratio. Personally, I fall asleep watching 9 out of 10 movies.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #15
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You forgot the part where the team had to play with a handicap (Wideman effect). You got to pay to watch games that were not far from rigged.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #16
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I feel like I am alone in this thought, but I think the Flames are pretty important to this city.

They pump millions of dollars into local charities. They generate a lot trickle down economy. They make us relevant in the sports world. The players "work" here in Alberta so pay taxes here in Alberta/Canada. Hell CalgaryPuck wouldn't exist if the Flames hadn't come here.

So I guess I am a moron. Because I re-up every year, every year since the save the Flames ticket drive. Because I think they are pretty important to this city. Because I like to go to the games and be part of the atmosphere, spend some time with family or friends.

Yeah sometimes games are crappy, but sometimes they're great. Sometimes I want to see certain players, see them live and what they do when they're not on camera.

Got to see Lemieux play only once and the guy was like butta. Scott Niedermayer such a fluid skater, beautiful to watch.

So yeah I am moron, but it's morons like me that make it possible for you to sit at home and watch games for free.

As for the OP. I am with the others that say it is posturing.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #17
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind that part of Brian Burke's job is to say ridiculous things to focus attention on him.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:53 PM   #18
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotinthebacklund View Post
I think once your tax dollars are involved and you're personally affected by the negotiations, it becomes personal.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #19
fotiou22
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I feel like I am alone in this thought, but I think the Flames are pretty important to this city.
Thanks for this perspective. I certainly don’t think you’re a moron. Your points are all good. Like you, I love the Flames more than what sometimes feels rational.

I do think it’s worth emphasizing the symbiosis of this relationship. The Flames wouldn't exist without the endless support of Calgarians. Undoubtedly, the Flames do some good work in the community -- and more often than not, there are cameras around to show the community all the good work they do.

My feelings are that if the organization is all about this community that has, in turn, made them very wealthy over the years, then why nickel and dime and threaten that community right now? Why negotiate so aggressively? Why not give emphatically to the community? (Obviously, I understand that's not how this game works, but one message about giving to the community seems to undermine the other.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotiou22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #20
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think once your tax dollars are involved and you're personally affected by the negotiations, it becomes personal.
If flames do not receive any funding and build the arena, i hope they shutter the facility when ever it does not benefit them and them alone. A facility brings alot more to this city then some care to admit. I for one am okay with some level of public funding because i will get my value out of it. One way or another. I can understand being more upset about public funding if i was a 75yr old shut in never expecting to set foot into the facility. I have more grounds to be upset about a super library down town then a arena facility.

Even better dont leave the money in the cities hands to build another big blue ring....
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote