Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Chris Simon files for Bankruptcy

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-say-hes-broke
Old 05-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

a pretty sad story that should be a cautionary tale for any player that just signed their first contract....

I loved simon during the 2004 run... really played some great hockey for us then. Its sad to see what has happened to him since.

I know that there's people that will say that he put himself into his current situation and that anyone lucky enough to have a had a solid career in the NHL should have been able to sock away enough money to be financially stable for the rest of his life...

he needs to get things figured out with his financial responsibilities as well

I still feel bad for the guy though...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
a pretty sad story that should be a cautionary tale for any player that just signed their first contract....

I loved simon during the 2004 run... really played some great hockey for us then. Its sad to see what has happened to him since.

I know that there's people that will say that he put himself into his current situation and that anyone lucky enough to have a had a solid career in the NHL should have been able to sock away enough money to be financially stable for the rest of his life...

he needs to get things figured out with his financial responsibilities as well

I still feel bad for the guy though...
I wouldn't feel that bad for him.

The article says he hasn't even started drawing on his NHL pension yet.

Even after the bankruptcy he'll be able to draw like $70,000 Canadian per year I imagine.

Not too shabby for a retired guy.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I wouldn't feel that bad for him.

The article says he hasn't even started drawing on his NHL pension yet.

Even after the bankruptcy he'll be able to draw like $70,000 Canadian per year I imagine.

Not too shabby for a retired guy.
I missed that part then...

well, it seems like he should be able to get himself straightened out and hopefully figure out a fair agreement to take care of his kids

he needs to swallow his pride though and hire a legit financial planner to help him to manage things going forward
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well this explains the concussion lawsuit
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #6
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like a deadbeat dad.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lost in all the "it was in" talk, was when Simon hit the crossbar (in Game 6 OT IIRC). So damn close. At least I think it was Simon, or Yelle. Pretty sure it was Simon lol
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Lost in all the "it was in" talk, was when Simon hit the crossbar (in Game 6 OT IIRC). So damn close. At least I think it was Simon, or Yelle. Pretty sure it was Simon lol
I thought it was Marcus Nilson
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

If that's the number, do you know how they get to that? Is it a standard after X games played?

It's a crappy and sad story all around, but the part about him not even taking his pension so it doesn't go to pay his child support doesn't lend to a lot sympathy.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you have to play 300 NHL games in order to qualify for the pension.

Don't know if/how playoff games/appearances tie into that though
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I thought it was Marcus Nilson
Not a post. There was no post in overtime
Ville hit the post in game 6 ot v Vancouver
Best chance against the bolts in overtime was indeed Nilson who chipped it on net only to have Khab get his shoulder on it
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
Pliddy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

According to www.investopia.com. NHL pension is $50000 US / year for players who have played 160 games in their career. There seems to be something about waiting till your 45 to draw maximum pension as well
Old 05-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google tells me he made $15,200,000 $US in his hockey career.

That newspaper article says he has been trying to sell his cottage for 7 years. That must be some kind of record, but perhaps it was listed in the bargain finder or something

Blows my mind that guys like this can't find an advisor who finds them nice safe investments, and help reel them in when they get dumb with their money
Old 05-30-2017, 08:39 PM   #14
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some will think this is unnecessarily insensitive, but what a loser Chris Simon is.

1. Making $15M is enough for any human to live VERY comfortably. You give me $15M when I turn 20, and if I never work again I still have $300,000/year to spend until I'm 70.

If I want to live it up until I'm 50, and settle in for my silver years... I can budget $1,000,000 from 50-70 and still have $50,000 a year. As a senior, who would own my home and seen the world, I'm a pretty happy guy.

That leaves me $14,000,000 to spend from 20-50 or $466,666.67/year. I could comfortably pay off a very nice house before I'm 30, I'm in the market for an Aston Martin, and I can travel anywhere I want.

I know athletes destroy $466,666.67 budgets every year, but the self-aware will admit it's gluttonous.

2. Take care of your children, you dork. For three YEARS he missed payments? I'd be shocked if he wasn't enjoying his jetski or Ferrari in the time he avoided caring for his children.

That he wants the courts to forgive him of his child support debts is unreal. This guy has a ton of nerve to selfishly spoil himself for years and give the 'poor me' story that he hasn't collected a cheque in a while.

3. He's collecting social assistance and disability cheques? As if that system wasn't strained enough, he's blown through millions and lined up for a helping hand.

Simon played for 20 years. This isn't a guy who had a long playing career ahead of him when he retired. It mentions that he hasn't worked since he was 43 but how much was he planning on earning as an NHLer in his 40s? Despite the knee injury he was on his way out anyways. Surely no one should believe that the career he had infront of him would return enough salary to relieve his debts. I'm actually shocked that he was even working in 2015.

I'm reading his situation as 'poor me', and it's gross.

Last edited by Split98; 05-30-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #15
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Google tells me he made $15,200,000 $US in his hockey career.

That newspaper article says he has been trying to sell his cottage for 7 years. That must be some kind of record, but perhaps it was listed in the bargain finder or something

Blows my mind that guys like this can't find an advisor who finds them nice safe investments, and help reel them in when they get dumb with their money
I was thinking the same thing about the cottage. All I can think of is that he treated it like crap, and it's in disrepair. Handling things like an adult doesn't seem to have been on the docket for him.

I remember reading that most agents will either serve as an advisor, or push an advisor very heavily on their clients. Only the daft (or actually financially responsible) players decline these offers.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #16
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is where the PA should really step in a Garnish the Salary's of players for investments. Say any returned Escrow money goes into locked in retirement account managed by the PA. Some way to keep more money away from the players in there 20's when they are dumb.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 PM   #17
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I always find it quite sad when you read about pro athletes going broke and filing for bankruptcy. You gave a young athlete a boat load of money and some of them have no clue as to how to handle it.

Maybe all pro sports leagues should make it manditory that all athletes take course in financial management.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Some will think this is unnecessarily insensitive, but what a loser Chris Simon is.

1. Making $15M is enough for any human to live VERY comfortably. You give me $15M when I turn 20, and if I never work again I still have $300,000/year to spend until I'm 70.

If I want to live it up until I'm 50, and settle in for my silver years... I can budget $1,000,000 from 50-70 and still have $50,000 a year. As a senior, who would own my home and seen the world, I'm a pretty happy guy.

That leaves me $14,000,000 to spend from 20-50 or $466,666.67/year. I could comfortably pay off a very nice house before I'm 30, I'm in the market for an Aston Martin, and I can travel anywhere I want.

I know athletes destroy $466,666.67 budgets every year, but the self-aware will admit it's gluttonous.

2. Take care of your children, you dork. For three YEARS he missed payments? I'd be shocked if he wasn't enjoying his jetski or Ferrari in the time he avoided caring for his children.

That he wants the courts to forgive him of his child support debts is unreal. This guy has a ton of nerve to selfishly spoil himself for years and give the 'poor me' story that he hasn't collected a cheque in a while.

3. He's collecting social assistance and disability cheques? As if that system wasn't strained enough, he's blown through millions and lined up for a helping hand.

Simon played for 20 years. This isn't a guy who had a long playing career ahead of him when he retired. It mentions that he hasn't worked since he was 43. How much was he planning on earning as an NHLer in his 40s? If not for the knee injury he was on his way out anyways. Surely no one should believe that the career he had infront of him would return enough salary to relieve his debts. I'm actually shocked that he was even working in 2015.

I'm reading his situation as 'poor me', and it's gross.
I'm not disagreeing on any singular point, but your math has to amended. He 'earned' $15M, he didnt get to keep it all. Start at $7.5M.

Despite the math being off, most of your assertions still hold, but aggregate earnings and 'take home' are not the same things.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 10:00 PM   #19
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not disagreeing on any singular point, but your math has to amended. He 'earned' $15M, he didnt get to keep it all. Start at $7.5M.

Despite the math being off, most of your assertions still hold, but aggregate earnings and 'take home' are not the same things.
That's a good point (as you mentioned... either way should be enough) and something I think even the Ottawa Citizen writer missed. He wrote that he "collected more than $15 million US in salary"... and I'm assuming by him using 'collected' he is also assuming that the reported salary is Chris' take-home.

Learned a lot recently about how much less players take home vs. what we see on Cap Geek.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #20
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
If that's the number, do you know how they get to that? Is it a standard after X games played?

It's a crappy and sad story all around, but the part about him not even taking his pension so it doesn't go to pay his child support doesn't lend to a lot sympathy.
It was 160 games.

I believe they changed the pension recently and its a lot better now. I'm not sure of the details.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote