Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Adam Fox 5 1.12%
Adam Ollas-Mattsson 0 0%
Brett Kulak 2 0.45%
Josh Healey 0 0%
Juuso Valimaki 21 4.71%
Oliver Kylington 2 0.45%
Rasmus Andersson 14 3.14%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
Tyler Wotherspoon 0 0%
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Andrew Mangiapane 2 0.45%
Austin Carroll 0 0%
Brett Pollock 0 0%
Daniel Pribyl 0 0%
D'Artagnan Joly 0 0%
Dillon Dube 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 0 0%
Emile Poirier 0 0%
Fililp Sveningsson 0 0%
Garnet Hathaway 1 0.22%
Hunter Shinkaruk 0 0%
Hunter Smith 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Mark Jankowski 293 65.70%
Matthew Phillips 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Morgan Klimchuk 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Zach Fischer 0 0%
Jon Gillies 5 1.12%
Mason McDonald 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 94 21.08%
David Rittich 0 0%
Spencer Foo 7 1.57%
Voters: 446. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #101
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Then shouldn't Hamilton and Hrivik be on it?
These guys are 25 & 26 years old, so I'd say no.

I think the cutoff used in these is 24? We seem to discuss it every year.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #102
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
@Calgary4life

All those things you said about Valimaki were also said about Anderson the year he was drafted. Remember how excited we were when he scored 64 points in 67 games and was 4th in team scoring. Seriously, go check it out for yourself.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=165972

All of these kids have talent, but all of them have holes in their games. They all have things they have to work on to become professionals. Continuing down the Andersson example, his conditioning and dedication to the game were in question, and it took a couple years to turn that around. Only after that was addressed did we start to see a player that has actual NHL potential. Valimaki will fall in the same boat. There are things he will have to work on before the team thinks he's ready to challenge for a position, and that should always be remembered.

To put things into perspective, Valimaki was drafted three picks after Sven Baertschi was picked in his draft, and that was a better draft. I caution people to not get too excited about players just selected, especially outside of the top 10. Patience to see what you have is required. Immediately slotting a just drafted kid into your top prospect slot is a clear display of flavor of the month behavior. That, or your development system is completely bereft of talent, which we know is not the case for the Flames, especially at defense. I think it is just stating the obvious that Valimaki, as gifted as he is, should have to perform to see what we've got. I would suspect the team believes he's a good prospect, but is behind several players at just his position, like Andersson, Kylington, and Fox. That doesn't include our other top prospects at other positions, like Jankowski, Gillies, Parsons, etc. I encourage you to select who you like, but I just want to remind people that the year after being drafted is usually the one that you see what you have and what kind of prospect you have. I think Valimaki's going to be good, but I gotta see him perform in context, and with some direction from the team, to get that full sense of who and what he is going to be.
Andersson is a good comparison for Valimaki.

As Flames' fans, most of us are pretty high on Andersson, and rightfully so. He has been developing well and seemingly has addressed his biggest flaw - his conditioning. You will also have to remember that Rasmus was on some preliminary preseason draft lists as high as 5 (with Kylington at #3).

How does he compare to Valimaki? Am I rating him just because he is the 'flavor of the month'? Well, if you go by my last picks, outside of the obvious like Tkachuk, Monahan, etc., I have routinely been high on Jankowski and some other prospects that have been in the organization. Recency bias may play a bit into my ranking, but not much.

People may have vastly different opinions than mine on the same prospects, and that's fine. I see Valimaki as a larger and better skating defencemen than Rasmus was, and someone that is much more mature in their draft years (joker off the ice notwithstanding).

Tell me, what are Valimaki's holes? Aside from just the usual 'needs to get stronger' jargon that you expect for nearly all prospects not named Kanzig, and 'time to develop his game', he doesn't have many flaws. Even listening to Button talk about Rasmus after the draft, and then talk about Juuso, there was a difference. I have never really heard Button gush or fawn about any prospect other than Gaudreau. In fact, I have known him to almost stomp on a prospect when someone asks him (for instance, Feaster and Weisbrod went on and on about Sieloff, claiming that they would have been comfortable selecting Sieloff in the first round if Jankowski was off the board, but when Button was asked about it he quickly stated that there were a few other players they liked at that slot, and it seemed like they were higher on Matt Finn than Sieloff).

Will Valimaki be as good and develop as quickly as Rasmus seemed to do? Time will tell. That is for you to decide and vote accordingly. My point is that at the same age, I think Valimaki has the fewest holes in his game out of any of the defencemen that the Flames have drafted in the last 10 years, yet still has a very high upside second only to Kylington (and perhaps Fox). You can call recency bias on it if you like. That is just how I personally feel about him.

I am actually not even quite sure how I have the existing D ordered. I may even select Rasmus (he had an EXCELLENT first year pro season in the AHL) ahead of Valimaki at this point (or Kylington for that matter since I believe his upside to be huge). I guess we will see in the next few rounds, but Valimaki is (for me personally) right there with any of the other D prospects the Flames have.

However, merely shrugging off my thoughts about a prospect as being merely 'flavor of the month' is being quite condescending (not that I am implying that you are trying to come off that way). It is just like me telling someone else that voting for a very low ceiling (4th liner, #6 defencemen) prospect so high on the rankings is the wrong way. People vote how they wish to vote. Make your case about Rasmus (and whomever else you have ahead of Valimaki) being the superior prospect, rather than telling someone they are doing it wrong.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #103
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... round 2?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #104
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

To put things into perspective, Valimaki was drafted three picks after Sven Baertschi was picked in his draft, and that was a better draft
You don't know that and can't know that. Time will tell which draft class is better.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #105
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Janko > Fat Rass > Parsons > Valimaki > Kylington

my top 5
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #106
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Janko > Fat Rass > Parsons > Valimaki > Kylington

my top 5
This is close to my order too. I may flip Parsons ans Andersson when round 2 comes around though. I haven't decided yet,

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #107
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I think if you were to ask the Flames, they view it as Janko > Parsons > Fox and then everyone else. An example of this was evident in this morning's column from Wes Gilbertson.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...velopment-camp

Quote:
If you polled Flames staffers on the most promising prospect in Calgary’s pipeline, Tyler Parsons would likely top the list. You hear his name A LOT.

Adam Fox is another guy they’re giddy about. That’s not the only thing that Parsons and Fox, both 19, have in common — the acrobatic goalie and offensive-minded defenceman also played pivotal roles as Team USA claimed gold at the world juniors in January.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #108
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
I think if you were to ask the Flames, they view it as Janko > Parsons > Fox and then everyone else. An example of this was evident in this morning's column from Wes Gilbertson.

Is that your assumption, as far as order?

I did not see the article verifying your preferred order " example ", where you say Jankowski> Parsons
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #109
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Definitely an assumption. But it makes sense if thats the type of chatter being heard at dev camp. I'm obviously assuming they view Janko as ready for the show as we all do.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #110
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would agree that Jankowski looks ready to be a full time Flame.

It is also fair to say that not ALL think he is our best prospect.

Many think Parsons is deserving of that moniker.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #111
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
I would agree that Jankowski looks ready to be a full time Flame.

It is also fair to say that not ALL think he is our best prospect.

Many think Parsons is deserving of that moniker.
if only there was a poll to determine such a thing... im going to wager if we had a vote it would go almost 3-1 in jankowskis favour...
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #112
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
if only there was a poll to determine such a thing... im going to wager if we had a vote it would go almost 3-1 in jankowskis favour...
Hence the caveats " not ALL" and "many".
Old 07-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #113
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope when Janko makes the team he keeps #77. I suppose I'll be a sucker and buy that Jersey from Adidas.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #114
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post

You state that they think Janko tops the list and then you provide evidence taht suggests that they like Parsons the most.

I am confused.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #115
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Guy most likely to make the team NOW: Jankowski
Player with highest upside: Parsons

My vote: Jankowski...because goalies have let us all down in the past!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #116
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a couple quick comments about Jankowski:

1) I applaud those of us who have been patient with his development and it looks like it's about to pay off. Backlund also needed some patience. And remember - Bennett is almost TWO FULL YEARS younger than Jankowski. Patience people!!

2) For sure Jankowski has to eventually be a center...but I almost hope the team plays him as a winger this year. Centers (especially 6-foot-4 200' centers) are extremely valuable...but his development will not be stifled by one year on the wing. Many teams do this with their young centers. I think his development would be stifled much worse if he's saddled with crappy 4th-line linemates or made to play another year in the AHL. Give him the Backs/Fro treatment...or else let him and Sam play together. They deserve each other!!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #117
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I just hope when Janko makes the team he keeps #77. I suppose I'll be a sucker and buy that Jersey from Adidas.
His Stockton number just opened up due to the Bouma buyout...
Ring of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #118
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring of Fire View Post
His Stockton number just opened up due to the Bouma buyout...
Ew. #77 is an amazing Jersey number. I hope he keeps his prospect #.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #119
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually don't care too much about jersey numbers, but I also think 77 looks really good!
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #120
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

77 is just a phenomenal number that I really hope he keeps.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote