Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #41
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me, a moment that stands out is one somewhat mired in darkness unfortunately. April 30th, 1994, Olympic Saddledome. I, a young and impressionable 7 year old, am attending my first ever Flames game with my dad. Bure scores on the breakaway in the second overtime to put Calgary away, and I come face to face for the first time with the sinking feeling of hockey-related disappointment. I also encounter, towering over me in seemingly all directions, the barbaric herds of drunken Canucks fans exiting the Dome, whose crass, loudmouthed belligerence informed my beliefs at an early age, and planted the seed for what would become a blossoming hatred as the years went on.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #42
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

A couple of personal performances that stand out
- Makarov's 7 point game.
- A couple of unexpected 4 goal games: Brian Maclellan and Jiri Hrdina
- TWO Ron Stern hat tricks
- Gary Leeman's first goal as a Flames after what seemed like an endless droug (a total fluke deflection)

Apart from the obvious ones (Gelinas OT goals, Lanny, Joel Otto, Nieuwy's 5 goals, etc) my favorite moment is probably Monty's overtime goal against the Sharks. I used to just find it on youtube every once and while just to make myself happy. Now it makes me sad.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #43
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chell_King View Post
Big flames fan hear but TBH I have never really seen what was so amazing about this shift. It was pretty good but, I think Flames fans hold it up on a pedestal.
Yeah. same here honestly. Didn't get it at the time either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
It's equally great and sad at the same time that the most memorable moment for most fans occurred 28 years ago when the team won the cup. Not being old enough to remember this achievement, the 2003/2004 cup run is clearly my defining moment as a Flames fan.

It is not easy cheering for this team. Aside from the most recent cup run, the Franchise hasn't had much, if anything significant to celebrate since 1989....
I often feel like people here have selectively negative memories.

I felt the next few years after 2004 were mostly pretty good. There was a lot of excitement around the team those days. The 100+ point division championship season in 2005-06 was a whole season of goodness despite the early exit in the playoffs. They played some exciting hockey, regularly in the top 10 in scoring with something like 250 goals per season. Keenans last year we had like 8 guys with 40+ points, plus Jokinen was actually great that first short stint.

Then Brent Sutter turned them into a team that scored 200 goals per year and missed the playoffs consistently while playing unwatchable garbage hockey. I still feel like shaking my fist at that guy! (It's funny now since I remember originally welcoming B. Sutter as a coach that would get the team to play an actual system )

(Not to mention Darryl suddenly going insane and trying to rebuild the team midseason.)

The first rebuild years weren't great, but that was to be expected and it came with a promise of a better future. The 3rd Hartley year with Johnny Hockey becoming the star we hoped and all the comebacks and the emotionally extremely satisfying win over Vancouver was just a ton of fun. I felt like celebrating half the season.

Last season was a downer, and this season was a rollercoaster where admittedly I've at times been down on the team. However in the end, despite the series loss, I liked the way our team looked against the Ducks, which makes me feel good about our chances in the future. If we can find a goalie this could be a good team for years.

I guess this stuff comes down to what everyone sees as a reason to celebrate. Maybe it's just the Finnish hockey fan in me, but I can celebrate a fun season even if the last game is a loss.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:04 PM   #44
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Big flames fan hear but TBH I have never really seen what was so amazing about this shift. It was pretty good but, I think Flames fans hold it up on a pedestal.
Colborne deserves a "the shift" for all the work he did on Russell's go-a-head goal in game 1 in 2015.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #45
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Iginla doesn't lose his helmet, we don't call it "The Shift". It's as simple as that.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fleury's preseason shootout winner during his attempted comeback was cool. Greatest pre season moment ever for Flames?

His OT goal vs Oilers and celebration was a fun moment.

Nieuwendyk's 50th in his rookie season was memorable for me.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #47
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Moment number 4: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/37-f...ls/c-289266418
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #48
ianlav
Draft Pick

My vote goes to the 1989 Stanley Cup win.

It was the first year that I got into watching hockey. What an introduction!
ianlav is offline   Reply With Quote