Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #41
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
however, it seems like NBA players in general get really dumb ideas - for example I am sure I recall on player building a stupidly large home with a Shark Tank - while a shark tank is a cool idea, it is very impractical for all but one of the five richest sultans or perhaps royalty.
http://www.avclub.com/article/sklar-brothers-69856

“All right, we’re going to explain a little bit. We’ll give you the context, but if you don’t understand who Gilbert Arenas, the basketball player, is, then just understand that he’s a parent of small children and he owns a shark grotto in his backyard. It’s enough to own a grotto in your backyard, that’s being a bad parent, but to add killer sharks…”

“And then to kill those sharks, you’re like a whole new level of evil, by letting your kids throw pennies into the grotto.” It’s a fascinating, hilarious story
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #42
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's lucky he's not in jail for killing someone on the ice.

Was never the brightest light bulb, hard to feel too bad for him.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #43
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
For all of Tyson's monstrous behaviour, at least he supported that tiger.
Tyson should have fed these little animals to the tiger, would have been more kind than what happened to them.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/1208...l#.WS8Kr-vyuM8
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #44
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
He's lucky he's not in jail for killing someone on the ice.
Huh?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #45
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Yup exactly. That's why I feel zero sympathy for the guy. Unless there is some behind the scenes agreement we don't know about, the guys a dead beat dad, plain and simple. The world is full of men like that, and each and every one of them is a POS for doing that. Surprised to see so many people siding with him.

He had a situation where he made more money then 99.999% of any human being in the entire history of the human race ever has, and somehow ended up broke and is 3 years late on child support payments. You have kids, you pay for them. End of story, no exceptions. Work at McDonald's if you have to.

Good luck on that lawsuit Chris the timing couldn't have been more perfect.

And thanks for '04. I really did like you back then.
I fully agree with all this. Some poor kid actually looks up to this guy and thinks the world of him. When you're a father, let alone an NHLer, you're a hero to your kids.

Sadly, too few people take that role seriously and when deadbeats like this do something terrible and abuse it, they get no sympathy from me.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #46
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
in some fairness to the players, I'd imagine that it is easy to get sucked into an expensive lifestyle - you can have significant chunks of free time, so you can go shopping (and you are likely buying expensive suits to keep up with the boys on the team), I'd alos imagine there are lots of expensive dinners, agents to pay for, additional off season training (skating coaches, nutritionists, mental coaches etc).

that being said, I believe the NHL players get a per diem of something like $300 per day when on the road, and I am assuming lots of them get other perks like free vehicles to drive.

I'd imagine guys like Chris Simon and others who come from poor communities have lots fo people asking for help and you stir in a few poor investment decisions and bam - you have gone thru $10,000,000.

I'd also think there are some players who remain more grounded and are able to live a more reasonable lifestyle and are not afraid to ask for help with their money.

however, it seems like NBA players in general get really dumb ideas - for example I am sure I recall on player building a stupidly large home with a Shark Tank - while a shark tank is a cool idea, it is very impractical for all but one of the five richest sultans or perhaps royalty.

think of how much money Mike Tyson wasted on food for his pet tiger.

Despite the above, I still think simon was a fool and I would not even send positive energy his way
Oh, there's definitely the pressure to keep up for sure. I'm friends with the wife of a Flames draftee who told stories of how jealous he was of US having our feet on solid ground and a gameplan for life.

But he bought a car and rented an apartment he couldn't afford... all to avoid being chastised by the rest of his team. Parking your Escape next to a 3rd liners Land Rover will net you a pretty healthy ribbing.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #47
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
5 goals in the 03/04 playoff run for the Flames. Incredible for an enforcer type player.

Compare your own personal achievements to that before casting stones. But its easy to dump on someone who spent so much money with nothing to show for it.

I hope things work out for him in the long run.
My personal achievements don't compare to a face-puncher who fought his way into the NHL and potted 5 goals for the sports team I like cheering for?

My personal achievements may not be celebrated by everyone, but I certainly hold myself in higher regard than Chris Simon thank you.

- I don't have kids, but I'd like to think that I'd value them above a jetski.
- I work very hard for what I have, and would never line up for a government handout to keep my TWO boats fueled.
- I have created a plan with my annual salary to make sure that my spouse and I live comfortably.
- I put some money away for the future.
- I make sure every loan I request I have a plan to pay for

So yes, I don't have a problem casting stones at Chris Simon.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post: