Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
1 Don't have access to sites that would have the stats, but Flames under Terry Crisp must have gone over 90 three straight.

2. Sutter's 3 years over 90 points were part of 7 seasons in a row (or more?), so it is a bit misleading.... Though agree 100% that it was hardly the dark days of the franchise.

Could be wrong on #1 I guess...
You are right. I just went back and checked and realized I forgot about Crispy's 3rd season. Still when you look at the history of the franchise from the 90's up to when Darryl came on board nobody can argue that those weren't dark times for this organization.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-31-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 07:46 AM   #22
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You are right. I just went back and checked and realized I forgot about Crispy's 3rd season. Still when you look at the history of the franchise the 90's up to when Darryl came on board are pretty dark times indeed.
Exactly. Prior to Darryl were truly dark times
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:48 AM   #23
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Crisp had 105, 117 and 99 point seasons.

Also, Dave King had seasons of 97, 97 and then 55 in 1995 where they only played 48 games (93 point pace)
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Exactly. Prior to Darryl were truly dark times
I think the Brent years were disappointing but the disappointment more stems from an organization that got old fast due to building through free agency and trades rather than drafting and development and division in the locker room amongst the players as well as coaches all the way up to management and ownership. It was a real mess and I kind of thing that Brent did a pretty good job to hold things together and maintain winning hockey despite a lot of distractions going on in the locker room and in management with Feaster (replacement GM essentially) being brought on board while Darryl was still GM which obviously wasn't ideal. The organization really was a mess and it would have been easy for the team to slide into one of those seasons where everything that can go wrong does but Brent managed to keep things together and it was the next season with Hartley where it really all fell apart.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yeah, Crisp had 105, 117 and 99 point seasons.

Also, Dave King had seasons of 97, 97 and then 55 in 1995 where they only played 48 games (93 point pace)
He was on pace for sure but a lot could have happened in 30+ games to change that. King got a raw deal actually but he coached at a time when things were just starting to really unravel for the organization.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #26
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

90 points today is a hell of a lot different than 90 points before the introduction of the OTL point.

This year, Tampa and the Islanders missed the playoffs with 94 points. In 1989, 94 points would have been good for third overall (Washington won the Patrick Division with 92 points and Detroit won the Norris with 80).

Hell, the Flames team that went to the Finals in 1986 finished 6th overall (and had home ice advantage in every round except the one against the Oilers) and didn't crack 90 points (89).

Also, Darryl and Keenan only coached the team for two seasons each, so it's not really a fair comparison to say Brent is the only one to hit 90 points in three straight seasons when he's the only one in that stretch who even could have (and I'd argue that the team would have done better in those seasons with either Darryl or Keenan behind the bench than they did with Brent).

Last edited by getbak; 05-31-2017 at 12:44 PM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is Jim Playfair the winningest coach ever to only get one season?
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 08:35 AM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
90 points today is a hell of a lot different that 90 points before the introduction of the OTL point.

This year, Tampa and the Islanders missed the playoffs with 94 points. In 1989, 94 points would have been good for third overall (Washington won the Patrick Division with 92 points and Detroit won the Norris with 80).

Hell, the Flames team that went to the Finals in 1986 finished 6th overall (and had home ice advantage in every round except the one against the Oilers) and didn't crack 90 points (89).

Also, Darryl and Keenan only coached the team for two seasons each, so it's not really a fair comparison to say Brent is the only one to hit 90 points in three straight seasons when he's the only one in that stretch who even could have (and I'd argue that the team would have done better in those seasons with either Darryl or Keenan behind the bench than they did with Brent).
Still you can't say with any certainty that Keenan would have automatically led the team to a 90 point season had he been given another season any more than I could say that Brent would have done better than Hartley had he been given a 4th season. We will never know and my statement was not about fairness, it was about history and what actually transpired.