Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick your top five selection list
Ekblad-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Bennett-Dal Colle 44 8.21%
Ekblad-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Bennett 7 1.31%
Ekblad-Reinhart-Bennett-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 118 22.01%
Ekblad-Reinhart-Bennett-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 56 10.45%
Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Bennett-Dal Colle 7 1.31%
Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Dal Colle-Bennett 4 0.75%
Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 21 3.92%
Ekblad-Bennett-Reinhart-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 10 1.87%
Ekblad-Bennett-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Dal Colle 22 4.10%
Ekblad-Bennett-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Reinhart 4 0.75%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Bennett-Dal Colle 27 5.04%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Bennett 9 1.68%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Bennett-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 85 15.86%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Bennett-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 41 7.65%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Draisaitl-Bennett 4 0.75%
Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Bennett-Draisaitl 2 0.37%
Reinhart-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Bennett-Dal Colle 2 0.37%
Reinhart-Draisaitl-Bennett-Ekblad-Dal Colle 1 0.19%
Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle-Ekblad-Bennett 2 0.37%
Reinhart-Bennett-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 19 3.54%
Reinhart-Bennett-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 8 1.49%
Reinhart-Bennett-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Dal Colle 9 1.68%
Bennett-Ekblad-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 12 2.24%
Bennett-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Dal Colle 2 0.37%
Bennett-Reinhart-Ekblad-Draisaitl-Dal Colle 5 0.93%
Bennett-Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Draisaitl 6 1.12%
Bennett-Reinhart-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Dal Colle 4 0.75%
Bennett-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Reinhart-Dal Colle 1 0.19%
Bennett-Draisaitl-Ekblad-Dal Colle-Reinhart 1 0.19%
Bennett-Draisaitl-Reinhart-Ekblad-Dal Colle 3 0.56%
Voters: 536. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #5701
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
CGY-Baby Killer
I don't think that nickname will catch on.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #5702
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
So if Buffalo takes Reinhart, does EDM take Draisaitl over Bennett?!?!!?
Very likely - I think the Oilers management and their fans are on board with picking Draisaitl over anyone else including maybe Ekblad, since some seem to think their prospect depth at D is fine.

Bennett's stock has risen the most over the last few months but even then I still think most have him picked at #4.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #5703
Arsonist22
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
My list:
1) Sam Reinhart - Was one of Canada's best players at the WJC. Was the best player on the ice at the top prospects game. 23 points in 13 playoff games. Creates chances constantly whenever I have seen him play. Good size at 6'1, right handed shot brings something different and could start on the team as a winger.

2) Aaron Ekblad - incredibly steady player who has ideal size. Impressive skating for his size and a cannon for a shot. Would be the best defensive prospect on the team by miles, has a right-handed shot. Seems like a very intelligent player and appears to have a future as an NHL captain. The angles that he uses and the way he limits space indicate that he understands the defensive game so well that even without his size advantage, he would be a reliable player.

3) Leon Draisaitl - I've been persuaded somewhat by the numbers being thrown around in articles from Oilers fan/journalists. He was depended on so heavily for offense on his team and ended up tied in points with Reinhart. He's got great size and puck protection, along with vision and remarkable accuracy on his passes. Considering the style of game that is played in the Pacific division, I think he would be a fine addition going forward.

4) Sam Bennett - looks like a very talented and exciting player. The reviews about his competitiveness and work ethic could not be more positive and the Flames would be fortunate if this guy drops. He seems a bit similar to Mike Richards to me although some projections for him are above that (even though Richards was a captain in his early twenties and played for a Canadian Olympic team).

The top 4 look really good.

5) Michael Dal Colle - seems to be sort of a forgotten man right now and I'm not sure why. Has good size and is apparently versatile enough that he may end up playing as a center next year. Watching his highlights, he has the best hands of the players on this list and his release looks like an NHL scorer to me. His biggest knock, to me is his position, which isn't much of one.

6) Nikolaj Ehlers - I see him as a Phil Kessel type player. He is so incredibly fast and combines it with great passing and a wicked shot. I'd be confident picking him that he will be a first line winger in the NHL. He played on a team with Drouin, but according to reports, did not play on his line consistently.

7) Nick Ritchie - Big, powerful, intimidating, goal scorer. Ritchie looks like a talented and intelligent player who has size that -if his game translates- will allow him to be a player that few teams can match up with. Adding a Milan Lucic type guy would give the Flames an element that leads to wins and especially playoff wins. He is last on my list because I am concerned that it took him three years in the OHL to become an elite scorer unlike the other players on this list and that he was unable to maintain that scoring pace in the playoffs (also unlike all of the other players). He has great size, but that cuts two ways with me a bit since I am uncertain as to why that size didn't allow him to be more dominant than a guy like Dal Colle who gives up nearly 60 lbs in comparison. Ritchie seems like a low floor/high ceiling kind of guy and I don't think that it would be prudent to take that risk with other options.

Dal Colle vs Ritchie

Just one further note on these two guys. Dal Colle has shown to be a substantially more productive player than Ritchie in the OHL.

Over three seasons Ritchie amassed 148 points in 164 games. Dal Colle on the other hand -over two seasons- scored 143 points in 130 games. In the playoffs this season Dal Colle out scored Ritchie by nearly double including a series head-to-head. Don't forget that Dal Colle also put up 21 more points in only 6 more games this season, too.

Obviously offensive production isn't the only consideration, but, for me, drafting in the top 5 is about getting an elite offensive player or an elite 2-way defenseman.

I wouldn't be overly upset if Ritchie ends up being the selection, because scouts watching game in, game out are going to have a much better handle on the questions that I have about Ritchie.

Anyways, this is a very exciting draft.
Did dal colle have any decent players on his line this season? As Ritchie's season really took off when the Pete's traded for Garlent. With a half decent line mate he managed to score 41 pts (21 goals) in the last 26 games of the season. If he had that support for the whole season he would be one of the top scorers in the chl.
Arsonist22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #5704
Read Only
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonist22 View Post
Did dal colle have any decent players on his line this season? As Ritchie's season really took off when the Pete's traded for Garlent. With a half decent line mate he managed to score 41 pts (21 goals) in the last 26 games of the season. If he had that support for the whole season he would be one of the top scorers in the chl.
I don't follow the OHL day to day so can\t say who played for with who but I thought one of the reasons that Dal Colle didn't play center was so he could play with Laughton and/or Cassels.
Read Only is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Read Only For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #5705
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Sam Reinhart - 6'1, 185lbs RH Center

1.32 PPG career avg

Sam Bennett - 6'0, 181lbs LH Center

1.23 PPG career avg.

Leon Draisaitl - 6'1, 209lbs LH Center

1.58 PPG career avg.

Michael Dal Colle - 6'2, 183lbs LH LW

1.04 PPG career avg.

Nick Ritchie - 6'3, 236lbs LH LW

0.84 PPG career avg.

Those of you saying you want Calgary to select Ritchie.... no offense, but you are insane.

Flames grab one of the consensus top 4 and if for whatever reason they absolutely don't want the one that's left at #4.... they should grab Dal Colle.

That said, Draisaitl's PPG totals both regular season and playoffs have been consistently above 1.00 at every level of hockey. I'd absolutely grab him if he is available.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 06-21-2014 at 03:59 PM.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 03:46 PM   #5706
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
I agree with this. My only exception is I drop Reinhart to 5 on his own.
I've always thought he was top three on a separate tier and sometimes ranked at the number one spot. Why does he drop to five in your opinion?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #5707
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Burke saying that the top players look pretty equal causing teams to pick for need, I can see us taking Ritchie. I'll be slightly disappointed if that happens but Ritchie would look great on our wing. We should also be a lottery pick next season, so we can pick up a centre then.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #5708
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I've always thought he was top three on a separate tier and sometimes ranked at the number one spot. Why does he drop to five in your opinion?
There's some decent thought put into drafting analysis on CP, but I find a lot of it is just a bunch of posters shifting based on other people shifting, if that makes sense.

To me, the big three/four have been talked about to death, so the conversation shifted to the next three or four guys, then they become the new shiny toy, and the top 4 becomes old hat.

That's how you end up with Reinhart at 4 and 5, Ritchie slotted into the top 4, etc. The media's not helping either, I think they're just like CP, big four have been talked about to death so let's try to get some new discussion by throwing some lower prospects in higher.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #5709
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Craig Button has Ritchie ranked #16th...Doesn't his list mirror Tod Button's list???
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #5710
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Craig Button has Ritchie ranked #16th...Doesn't his list mirror Tod Button's list???
no.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #5711
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
I think that type of player is obsolete now.

You can win without them. I would rather have a guy that is 1-2" shorter and 20 lbs lighter but can skate.

Treliving and Burke keep talking about heavy hockey, but if you look at teams like ANA and LA, they have guys that are bigger but can skate.
1. Powerforwards are not obselete, that is an absurd statement. They're ultra rare and thus very valuable
2. Ritchie can skate so I'm not sure what you're on about
3. I'll always prefer a bigger, stronger player if everything else is equal. They are harder to shut down or contain
4. Monahan may combine with Granlund, Backlund or Jankowski to form a pretty good 1-2 punch. We may already be set at centre long term
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #5712
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
There's some decent thought put into drafting analysis on CP, but I find a lot of it is just a bunch of posters shifting based on other people shifting, if that makes sense.

To me, the big three/four have been talked about to death, so the conversation shifted to the next three or four guys, then they become the new shiny toy, and the top 4 becomes old hat.

That's how you end up with Reinhart at 4 and 5, Ritchie slotted into the top 4, etc. The media's not helping either, I think they're just like CP, big four have been talked about to death so let's try to get some new discussion by throwing some lower prospects in higher.
Agreed. But others like Ehlers, Perlini, Nylander aren't getting the recognition they deserve either. The push is strong for Ritchie mainly due to Burke and the his penchant for size and truculence.

For my money I would still take Nylander, Perlini and Ehlers over Ritchie. Add Dal Colle into the mix and we have Ritchie in bottom end of the top ten. Ritchie is neck and neck to me with Kapanen.

That doesn't include the Virtanens, Kapanens, Fleurys of the projected top end of the draft either. No one seems to want to talk about those guys either. But they are all valid to talk about in a trade down scenario. (FWIW, there is no way IMO that the Flames do in fact trade down though)

But there was a week where Virtanen had his push on CP, Nylander had a few seconds but was decidedly too pretty for the Flames.

Ehlers had a couple of weeks of debate but his size scared too many away. Although in terms of raw offensive skills, he sits among the top five along with Nylander.

Why Perlini isn't getting a strong push is a tad confusing. Production wise is on par with Ritchie, better skater, allegedly better shot. probably has a better physical build for the NHL also. 5 less points in 4 less games. When references to Jeff Carter get bandied about I get a warm fuzzy feeling as I feel Carter is a much better player than Lucic who Ritchie is associated with the most. If the Flames could trade for another top ten pick Perlini is the guy I would go to war over.

Same with Kapanen. Needs development but RH shots with the kind of skills he and Nylander carry are a necessity for the Flames. Do I advocate taking them at 4? Hell no but in a trade down scenario I don't think I would complain.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #5713
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post

Well said, thank you.
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #5714
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Those of you saying you want Calgary to select Ritchie.... no offense, but you are insane.

Flames grab one of the consensus top 4 and if for whatever reason they absolutely don't want the one that's left at #4.... they should grab Dal Colle.

That said, Draisaitl's PPG totals both regular season and playoffs have been consistently above 1.00 at every level of hockey. I'd absolutely grab him if he is available.
I judge forward prospects on much more than their pure offensive prowess.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #5715
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was becoming too obvious that Craig was riding on his brother's coattails for his rankings, so he's buried Ritchie at #16th to show his independence.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #5716
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The odds are still against us that any of Backlund, Jankowski or Granlund becomes a top 6 center. Maybe a top 6 winger in Granlund's case. Backlund is fairly well developed now and seems to have panned out as a reliable 3rd center. Also no guarantee that Monahan produces well enough to be a top center. He might be a good 2nd line center, so we still end up with a gaping hole down the middle.

We can stock up on heavy wingers once we have the center position stocked. Successful teams build from the center out (for evidence that it doesn't work the other way - see the entire Iginla era). So if any of the top 3 centers are left on the board at four then you take him. Otherwise you're bat#### insane and doing it wrong.

Draisaitl is more skilled than Ritchie and is only a few lbs lighter. If he develops a mean streak, he'd bring everything Ritchie can and more.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-21-2014 at 07:16 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #5717
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People who have Ritchie ahead of Draisaitl are either trolling or just haven't watched either player enough.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #5718
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think many of us are NHL scouts so if the Flames pick Ritchie or anyone else, I'll trust that they know what they are doing. We could watch every game that a prospect plays and still not come to a pro conclusion on that players future, so saying that in our amateur view that someone likes player A over player B, isn't trolling.

Last edited by Vulcan; 06-21-2014 at 06:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #5719
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

The only way we are drafting Ritchie is if we trade down. Simple as that.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #5720
Day Tripper
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I don't think many of us are NHL scouts so if the Flames pick Ritchie or anyone else, I'll trust that they know what they are doing. We could watch every game that a prospect plays and still not come to a pro conclusion on that players future, so saying that in our amateur view that someone likes player A over player B, isn't trolling.
If the Flames pick Ritchie and it turns out to be a mistake, it won't be the first time that the Flames have tried to prove they're smarter than everyone else and fell flat on their faces. Those scouts responsible might lose their jobs if that happens, so you would have to at least admire their courage.

Last edited by Day Tripper; 06-21-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Day Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote