Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Ferland Trial

Was called for jury selection this morning with over 300 other amazingly happy people (lol) and was wondering what the trial was going to be for and saw the name Ferland, Michael on the monitor outside the courtroom. Sure enough...didn't get selected as I was let go early when my number was not called. Just thought it was kinda cool to recognize the name and guess right.

Sounds like he cleaned up his act from early posts this season and hope this trial doesn't derail him.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
dakeyras
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I was there too & also wasn't called up.

When I heard the name my 1st thought was to assume it was the Flames prospect because there can't be too many Michael Ferland's around. I'd forgotten he was involved in anything.

I googled it & the incident happened August 2012. A delay or 2 and it's only hitting court now.
dakeyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It was a bar fight or something wasn't it?
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, it was a fight at a "drinking establishment":

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/07/19...t-in-june-2014

Quote:
Cops said a group of people had gathered outside a drinking establishment about 1:10 a.m. when one male was pushed to the ground.

When another man came over to assist him, he was struck in the face, knocked unconscious and had the orbital bone around his eye fractured
Trial begins on Monday according to the article from last July.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

10 day assault trial on a direct indictment? That's nuts considering it was supposed to be a 5 day provincial summary trial last year.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ferland Trial

I believe there would have been a preliminary hearing and then a trial which would have taken longer. The direct indictment allows them to have a set trial without delays and a pre-hearing. There must have been enough evidence against him to proceed as well.

Seems like a common thing in the Alberta court system. Few articles, unrelated to Ferland, state this was the new direction to speed up court times.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/touch/s...tml?id=8641154
Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Details about the history (transfer from Provincial Court to Queen's Bench) and the first day of trial (testimony of the victim, his friend, and a bouncer): http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...487/story.html
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

You can totally see it happening, but it sounds alot like speculation.. 2 drunk guys trying to play "hero", a bouncer not directly involved meanwhile in the process of removing someone else from the bar. Was there an arrest made that night or was it days later when Ferland was arrested as the "alleged" assaulter? If so, I dont know how the crown can win this. Too much speculation, after thought and alcohal involved.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember the time when a bar fight was just a bar fight. If there was no weapons involved and head stomping or swarming BS like the cowardly crap that ensues today. Then it was just that a bar fight no police no lawyers.
Man 1/2 my generation of males would be on assault charges.
Hopefully Ferlands lawyer can prove it was a couple of guys who recognized his client and wanted to test their toughness.

Last edited by Stay Golden; 06-10-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Stay Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stay Golden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I still haven't seen anyone get arrested after a bar fight... I've seen the cops show up after bigger brawls but still don't know of anyone getting taken away in cuffs. Even when there were bottles involved.

Maybe he's just an idiot?

Last edited by polak; 06-10-2014 at 11:30 AM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously he's truculent.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #12
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do I feel like this wouldn't have even resulted in an arrest had it been strictly between two townies?
The guy's friend points out that Ferland (possibly on his way to the NHL) was there (possibly did the punching) and now there is a full-blown trial.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Why do I feel like this wouldn't have even resulted in an arrest had it been strictly between two townies?
The guy's friend points out that Ferland (possibly on his way to the NHL) was there (possibly did the punching) and now there is a full-blown trial.
Conviction = Better chance of success in a civil trial. Preferably if Ferland is making NHL dollars.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #14
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hopefully the court case brings the truth to light. Lots of flames homerdom in the thread but if dude did it, deserves whatever the penalty is Flames prospect or no. I grew up in a northern bush town with a lot of bar fights, they don't usually go to court because there are two guys swinging, sounds like he was the only guy throwing (if it was actually him). If it wasn't him, hopefully that comes out too.

Last edited by Matty81; 06-10-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Day 2 Recap: http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/06/10...-2012-incident

Quote:
Charlotte Barker testified before a Calgary jury her nephew had the shiner shortly after she saw him strike the man he’s charged with assaulting.
Quote:
Barker said she was hustling Ferland out of the Stageline bar when he staggered back into her and then threw a wild punch which struck Jayson Eyma.

But Barker, who was pushing the much bigger Ferland from behind, said she couldn’t see Eyma before the accused swung at him.
Herald Recap: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...889/story.html
Old 06-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #16
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Obviously he's truculent.
Can this die already? Please? It is ridiculously played out.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #17
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not so sure about this... Eyma's friend pointed out Ferland's face from the newspaper so he was positive that Ferland was the guy who hit him. Did he say he was positive when he saw the picture and probably the article says Calgary Flames prospect? Was he really punched or was he accidentally pushed? I think I read the other guy, the farmer did not see Ferland hit Eyma. Then another witness a bouncer claims he was in a process of kicking somebody out of the bar managed to see Ferland punching Eyma. Hmmmm... I am not going to try to make judgment here based on the 4 testimonies. I was not there to witness the incident but I just find some of the stories fishy.
Anyways I guess we will find out what is going to happen sometime soon. I am wondering if there's any security camera that picks up the incident.
I agree with some posters...back in the days when a fight broke out at the bar..you get beat up or you beat up the other guy... that's it as long as there's no weapon involved. No cops you walk away with friends and forget things ever happen. Now you get beat up and you sue the guy who beat you up no matter who started the fight.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #18
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
I am not so sure about this... Eyma's friend pointed out Ferland's face from the newspaper so he was positive that Ferland was the guy who hit him. Did he say he was positive when he saw the picture and probably the article says Calgary Flames prospect? Was he really punched or was he accidentally pushed? I think I read the other guy, the farmer did not see Ferland hit Eyma. Then another witness a bouncer claims he was in a process of kicking somebody out of the bar managed to see Ferland punching Eyma. Hmmmm... I am not going to try to make judgment here based on the 4 testimonies. I was not there to witness the incident but I just find some of the stories fishy.
Anyways I guess we will find out what is going to happen sometime soon. I am wondering if there's any security camera that picks up the incident.
I agree with some posters...back in the days when a fight broke out at the bar..you get beat up or you beat up the other guy... that's it as long as there's no weapon involved. No cops you walk away with friends and forget things ever happen. Now you get beat up and you sue the guy who beat you up no matter who started the fight.
The whole thing is there is only one guy throwing punches, from my understanding. If I am at a bar and some idiot starts wildly throwing punches at me (not saying this is the case here) you are damn right I am suing or pressing charges. The average person is out for a good time not to be sucker punched as is the alleged case here.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #19
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The whole thing is there is only one guy throwing punches, from my understanding. If I am at a bar and some idiot starts wildly throwing punches at me (not saying this is the case here) you are damn right I am suing or pressing charges. The average person is out for a good time not to be sucker punched as is the alleged case here.
Not according to his Aunt's testimony. Ferland already had a shiner starting so someone must have hit him. Going off tidbits in the paper and the context that the reporter is giving them can effect the way you look at it. If, and we don't know, the other guy who crossed the street to get involved, pushed/punched/grabbed Ferland then he is in his right to pop the guy. And the guy setting himself up to sue Ferland didn't do anything until another buddy looked him up online and said that was the guy, pretty fishy to me.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Not according to his Aunt's testimony. Ferland already had a shiner starting so someone must have hit him. Going off tidbits in the paper and the context that the reporter is giving them can effect the way you look at it. If, and we don't know, the other guy who crossed the street to get involved, pushed/punched/grabbed Ferland then he is in his right to pop the guy. And the guy setting himself up to sue Ferland didn't do anything until another buddy looked him up online and said that was the guy, pretty fishy to me.
I'm no lawyer or anything, but is there not a cap for money/damages in Alberta on civil suits for things of this nature? Or is that purely for car accidents? Or am I just way off base?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote