Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default How to Fix the NHL’s Disastrous Tanking Situation (Grantland)

{I didn't see posted - feel free to delete if a Fata - I recall tanking threads in the past}

Couple of posts today on NHL tanking and the draft system.

1. From Grantland, Down Goes Brown: How to Fix the NHL’s Disastrous Tanking Situation

Excerpt:
Quote:
"The Sabres have been widely accused of tanking their entire season to ensure they get one of those two picks, and the Coyotes have given them a run for their money by trading away just about everyone with a pulse as the season wore on. Meanwhile, fans of other miserable teams like the Oilers and Maple Leafs watch with envy, wishing their teams could drop into the race for dead last. The whole thing is a mess, and the league should be embarrassed."
2. Jonathan Willis at Sportsnet - highlighting an old one (that others and I have previously made reference to - he was on the Fan today): A smart way to keep NHL teams from tanking for the draft

From #THW Archives:

- Fixing the NHL Entry Draft Lottery System: Playoff For Number One

- Suggested NHL Draft System: Honour for Connor

___
What system do you prefer - current or alternative?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is the first I have read about Gold's solution. I think that is a fantastic idea.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to starseed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

My view on this is that no matter what system you use, a team is always gonna finish last. If anything, reducing the value of a bad team's picks will just encourage them to trade for more picks.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flaws exist in any system, of course, but it's nice to see so many ideas laid out in one place.

In all of these concepts there's the underlying fact that for the non-high-drafting (non playoff) teams, there's really nothing positive to be had at the end of the day. I.e., "we played our asses off for a high pick, but still lost the lottery despite the odds!" I wonder if the NHL could blend together a couple of their "parity" systems to come up with a balanced approach that eliminates tanking. That is, somehow balance draft odds and salary cap relief in such a way that there's still something to gain from a higher finish, even if a team doesn't earn a blue chip pick.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

The gist of Gold's system has been posted on here many times.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

1. Stop worrying about it so much
2. Let next year's rule changes take effect
3. Stop worrying about it so much
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had read the gold solution, and now that I have read it again, I think it is a great system. Would make almost every game meaningful til the end of the year.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The gold system is basically as stupid as promotion/relegation in European sport is: Fake competition to give crappy teams the illusion that the game matters. And in North America, I don't think anyone is gullible enough to be fooled. You're basically just insulting your fan base with a "well, we weren't trying for the first 75 games, but NOW we're going all out."
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

The nhls tanking problem is horrific IMO and I love the wheel concept.

But short of that let the current changes play out and see what happens.

Good article.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is there a way to fix the bigger issue of people continuing to claim that teams are tanking? Some teams are just bad, someone has to finish last! BUF, ARZ, TOR, EDM, CRL etc.. Are not tanking! They are just not as good as the other teams in the league.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The nhls tanking problem is horrific
You've not watched NBA then. This isn't even close
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 PM   #12
CgyFlamesftw
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I see the gold plan is the favorite and best way. But say a team is so bad that when eliminated they win very few games like 2. Come seasons end a non playoff team close to the playoffs wins 2 while being a week eliminated, then they both will have the same percentage of drafting. Wouldn't really help very bad teams.
CgyFlamesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:26 PM   #13
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Is there a way to fix the bigger issue of people continuing to claim that teams are tanking? Some teams are just bad, someone has to finish last! BUF, ARZ, TOR, EDM, CRL etc.. Are not tanking! They are just not as good as the other teams in the league.

Of course players don't lose intentionally. But I do believe management makes decisions to keep the team in the bottom of the standings at a certain point. That can mean inaction as much as action.

For example... It was obvious to most people that Eakins needed to be fired before the season even started. But it was painfully obvious to EVERYONE that he needed to be fired by the the 3rd week of the season. Oiler management kept him there knowing things were only getting worse every day for the oilers with absolutely no sign of things turning around. They kept the status quo because they were done... Finished before even November started... with no chance of making the playoffs. Firing him or making a trade could have possibly sparked the team enough to only hurt their draft position. They kept him around for almost another 2 months and didn't make a trade till around the same time... Once they were all but guaranteed a bottom 3 finish. They left nothing to chance.

You could call it poor management - which it is - but it is also tanking. If there was incentive to make your team win games despite no chance of making the playoffs, management/ownership would make necessary moves to make their team better every chance they get.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #14
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Next year's system largely solves it. More than that, it is years when you have a guy like McDavid that this always seems to come up - I don't know if outside that it is really much of an issue.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #15
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

wouldn't the gold standard mean it would be best to tank harder and get eliminated earlier so you can collect more point potentially. I think that system would make things worse really over the entire season, with picking up intensity for the last two or three games
Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #16
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
The gist of Gold's system has been posted on here many times.
I love this system, and have mentioned it a number of times.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:10 PM   #17
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I clicked each of the links and didnt find "Gold" to be an author on any... what is his system?

What if there was a system in place where once you were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, the same point system kicks into effect and would be another column beside W/L/OTL ... if you are truly a terrible team then you will be first to be mathematically eliminated and have the most games to try and earn your points (same as the current system with the 2/0/1.
Team A is eliminated with 20 games remaining
Team B is eliminated with 10 games remaining
Team A is a worse team but has more games to try and continue to win.

At the end of the season, any team not in playoffs has their points added up and #1 takes the #1 pick.

This would keep fans cheering for their team all season long and players competing to win all while keeping it even for the poor teams to have more chances to earn points.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:11 PM   #18
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't have to be rocket surgery. I think the League has the right idea in terms of the fix in terms of holding lotteries...they should just do it for more picks. It shouldn't just be about Top 3...I would do it for ALL non-playoff slots. Keep the odds similar so the crappy teams still have the best chances, but it makes tanking a much bigger risk.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
I love this system, and have mentioned it a number of times.
So do I.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 PM   #20
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
I clicked each of the links and didnt find "Gold" to be an author on any... what is his system?

What if there was a system in place where once you were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, the same point system kicks into effect and would be another column beside W/L/OTL ... if you are truly a terrible team then you will be first to be mathematically eliminated and have the most games to try and earn your points (same as the current system with the 2/0/1.
Team A is eliminated with 20 games remaining
Team B is eliminated with 10 games remaining
Team A is a worse team but has more games to try and continue to win.

At the end of the season, any team not in playoffs has their points added up and #1 takes the #1 pick.

This would keep fans cheering for their team all season long and players competing to win all while keeping it even for the poor teams to have more chances to earn points.
That is Gold's system word for word. It's option #10 in the Grantland link
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheerio For This Useful Post:

Tags
2015 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl draft lottery , nhl draft system