Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #61
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously the common attitudes towards Americans are a byproduct of the United States position in the world... It would make more sense for us to bash Somalia (for example) for the disgusting and reprehensible behavior of many of their citizens and government, but that just isn't kosher. People will say Somalis are incredibly poor and their behavior is to be expected, while the US is one of wealthiest countries and the "bastion of freedom" in the world- therefore, we should apparently see perfection there. The reality is America is under the microscope by the rest of the world with people looking for reasons to hate, along with the fact that it is human nature that begets evil and immoral acts, not just poverty (which btw, the US has plenty of anyways). Most of the things we pick on the US for can be found everywhere.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #62
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Oh God, do we have to sit around the camp fire and sing kumbaya now?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #63
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

A break can be a good thing. Take it easy and hopefully we'll see you back on here down the road. And I don't think that CP is anti-American, but rather that the cultural differences are often underestimated. The best advice is to steer clear of threads that get you worked up. Arguing and/or worrying about stuff on the internet is a fruitless endeavour.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #64
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Being American I definitely see a lot of anti-US posts. They probably stand out to us a lot more than they do to the average Canadian.
I'm not perfect I definitely skip over the jokes making fun of other countries, races, and sexualities. I try not to make them too much myself, but I'm sure I have.

There are always going to be posters on here who see no wrong from their country and hate on the States. Put afc wimbledon on ignore and CP instantly becomes more enjoyable.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #65
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's the intarwebz; things drift in and drift out.

Perhaps someone could post a list of "preferred ignores" for each topic so that people can only read their specific view from other posters.

Someone posted a cartoon (sorry can't remember who it was) and it had a guy saying "i'll come to bed right away but someone on the internet is wrong and I need to fix it". It isn't possible.

To the original poster, take a break and come back in a bit. The feel of CP does change over time.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #66
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Dont let some of the comments here get to you. There's so much discrimination here (i've noticed the racism has stepped up) that you just have to relax and not to take it to heart.
I haven't noticed that. In fact, since Calgaryborn left I'd say it's decreased.

These 'woe is me goodbye threads' are kinda lame. Sorry things have been tough on you, and you're having a rough day though. As a few have said, breaks help. I've done breaks myself.

And remember, it's the internet. As close as communities may be there will always be jerks, or just some people who have such a different view than you they seem like jerks, and you guys butt heads nearly everytime you cross paths.

There's also a lot of misunderstanding and elevated arguments that would never happen in real life just because of the problems of the written word (and some people's posting skills) and the fact it is anonymous.

The biggest thing is just not to take it so seriously, cause it really isn't. This isn't you arguing with your girl, or your family, it's just a bunch of people, most of whom you never meant. And probably a bunch you'd never hang out with in real life anyway. Once you are able to take a breath and let it roll off you, you'll be fine.

Feel better, hope to see you back!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #67
Kipperriffic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I just cant be on here anymore, I get made fun of because of the way I spell and type

You are not Netminder!! We love Netminder

Last edited by Kipperriffic; 01-20-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Kipperriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #68
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

And this was his second woe is me, you're meanie poopyheads thread....
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #69
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea what went on in the other threads, but from what I've read in this thread, you sound like you're ready to take your ball and go home.

You're pitting your opinion - whatever the subject - against the opinion of others, welcome to the world of internet discourse. If you have a different opinion and care to voice it, prepare to defend it and defend it well.

If you find your opinion to be indefensible, or that your reasons are repeatedly picked apart, consider that the reasons for which you hold your opinion may be flawed and either reconsider your position or come up with better reasons. On the internet, the marketplace of ideas is a cruel place where only the strongest survive.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #70
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
And many take it far too lightly.
Not possible, it's not possible to take things on the internet too lightly.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #71
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Best thing to do is stay away from the CP, stick to the hockey threads. Most of the ignorance tends to reside in the political threads. This is why I try to stay away from politics, it gets too personal.
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #72
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obvious answer is obvious...

You need to stop being an American. It's the only answer that makes perfect sense.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #73
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Obvious answer is obvious...

You need to stop being an American. It's the only answer that makes perfect sense.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #74
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

PIM just take a break for a bit. I took a few months away and it helped. I was arguing things, and getting worked up over stuff I didn't really care about at the end of the day.

Regardless of if I agree with you or not, it is cool to see things from the other side, and you are a good poster. We have even hashed it out a few times, but you never reduced things to petty insults like some people here tend to do. I participate in a couple US based forums, where I feel exactly the way you do when we talk about these issues, for taking the Canadian stance on things.

There are mainly awesome people on this website. There are also a few keyboard 'bullies'... but trust me, I have met a few of the bully ones IRL, and you would have the last laugh if you actually met the people calling you down face to face. The aggressiveness of a poster, tends to directly correlate with the patheticness of them in real life. I know it sounds like a cliched stereotype, but it almost always rings true.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #75
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Regardless of if I agree with you or not, it is cool to see things from the other side, and you are a good poster. We have even hashed it out a few times, but you never reduced things to petty insults like some people here tend to do. I participate in a couple US based forums, where I feel exactly the way you do when we talk about these issues, for taking the Canadian stance on things.
uh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Still bitter that you don't have your teeth and your glorious monarchy lost to a bunch of rednecks that gained it's freedom?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #76
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
uh
In fairness to PIMking, he has sat back while a lot of people have antagonized him, and insulted his country. Everyone has a breaking point. You can't expect people to just sit there forever and take it.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #77
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
In fairness to PIMking, he has sat back while a lot of people have antagonized him, and insulted his country. Everyone has a breaking point. You can't expect people to just sit there forever and take it.
Yeah what PIMking said was uncalled for but he has been antagonized a lot in that thread. I quit posting so much in there when insults about the way I was raised started being tossed around. I even received some hate messages.
Some of things said in there are pretty tasteless and uncalled for.

I can understand PIM's frustration. It's hard to constantly defend you're stance with respect and restraint when the opposition isn't displaying either of those qualities. Obviously not all the posters in there were like that but there were quite a few who were.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #78
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to know who the internet "bullies" are; I have my suspicions and if they are the same for most we could collectively go to task on them. I hate calling them bullies because, just like pylon said, they most likely have pathetic lives, and calling them a bully might lead them to believe they have some affect on you.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #79
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love these threads. The OP should always read LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #80
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or better you yet, new Avatar's for all these threads OPs.

Thank you Calgarypuck, thank you internet, thank you, thank you Ivrnet!

Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote