Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #281
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Except outside McDavid, Drai, Klefbom and Larsson you haven't named anyone special.
And even then it costed them Taylor Hall to get Larsson, when it took us a couple of picks to get a clone in Hamonic. Chiarelli is horrible.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #282
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Except outside McDavid, Drai, Klefbom and Larsson you haven't named anyone special.

Nuge? Weak Center who had his best year 4 years ago.

Strome? There's some potential there, but he has been steadily declining the last 3 years.

Caggulia? Run of the mill winger who had an 18 point rookie season. Wow!

Slepyshev? Split time between Edmonton and Bakersfield the last 2 years.

Puljujarvi? Huge question mark who had a terrible rookie season.

Nurse? Guy can hit and that's about it. Constant poor decision making and not a great skater.

Benning? Meh. Wouldn't be in the top 6 of any team outside Edmonton

Even Klefbom and Larsson wouldn't be top pairing guys other than in Edmonton.
I'm not saying they're special...I'm simply listing the youth and room to grow on the Oilers
all these haven't even hit their primes yet...some will make it, some won't

Quote:
Not 24 year old Centers who haven't had a 60 point season in their career, had their best season as a sophomore, and have a weak frame who is easily pushed around.
he'll get more than Eberle IMO...he's still a good center that's growing into a two-way defender...where was Backlund at 24? not the player he is today

Quote:
And how will Chia afford a raise for him? No one's taking Lucic and he'll be extremely lucky if he can trade RNH for pennies on the dollar. Fayne is the only big money contract coming off next season and yet Maroon will need a new deal and Strome, Slepyshev, Caggulia, Benning and Nurse need to be qualified. I assume you want to keep those guys, since their your "best players under 25."
because we have no idea what the cap will be in 2 years? we don't know who will and who won't be on the team at that time?
if his performance dictates a major raise then that means the Oilers are successful...same goes with Strome, Caggulia, Nurse, Benning
again, some will get raises, some will be traded/cut/waived/buried

Quote:
Gagner, Nilsson, Cogliano, Pajaarvi. Hell, Taylor Hall looks like he peaked years ago and Dubnyk was run out of town only to become a perennial Vezina candidate.
other than Nilsson who wasn't an Oiler draft pick, every one of those players are still in the NHL
seems to be the Oilers can draft just fine in the 1st round (it's the other that need work)

Quote:
Larsson and Klefbom are both playing position higher than they should be because the Oilers D is awful. Nurse is a guy who can hit and nothing else. The Matt Benning's of the world can be found on any NHL team roster.
a little early to judge Nurse and Benning...how good was Brodie at 22?
these young guys got great experience pushing Anaheim to the limit in the 2nd round...I expect even more growth from them this year

Quote:
Funny you forgot to mention the most important guy who had a career year in Talbot. Also, the fact that no one else had a career year just goes to show how little depth you have. The quintessential one line team.
Talbot had a career year in starts, not save% or GAA

Quote:
Because they're never wrong. Remember when you should've had multiple cups by now with Hall, RNH and Eberle leading the way. Not to mention no one is going to say anything bad about McPrincess's team.
except Vegas never had the Oilers as Cup favorite back then...neither did most publications
so it's not just Oiler fans
AlbertaOiler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #283
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
except Vegas never had the Oilers as Cup favorite back then...neither did most publications
You understand how Vegas odds work right?
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #284
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying they're special...I'm simply listing the youth and room to grow on the Oilers

Quote:
because we have no idea what the cap will be in 2 years?

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #285
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes but you used it as evidence that you don't need to have a good prospect base since all your best young players are on the team already, when every team in the league has players of that caliber.

Quote:
he'll get more than Eberle IMO...he's still a good center that's growing into a two-way defender...where was Backlund at 24? not the player he is today
Backlund was oft-injured in his younger years but still had steady progression. Starting with his official rookie year he had pro-rated point totals of 28, dip to 22, big bounce to 41, and then 42 at 24 years old. He also had/has a much better defensive game than Nuge. Nuge is stalled/regressing.

Quote:
because we have no idea what the cap will be in 2 years? we don't know who will and who won't be on the team at that time?
if his performance dictates a major raise then that means the Oilers are successful...same goes with Strome, Caggulia, Nurse, Benning
Yes, but if you had a GM with competent cap management you wouldn't have to lose these players for almost nothing if the earn a raise.

Quote:
other than Nilsson who wasn't an Oiler draft pick, every one of those players are still in the NHL
seems to be the Oilers can draft just fine in the 1st round (it's the other that need work)
Yeah, they're still in the NHL, playing for other teams that managed to clean the Oiler development failure stench off them. Cogliano is a solid 2 way player for the Ducks. Dubnyk is a top tier goalie for the Wild. Gagner just had a career year for the Jackets. If Yakupov had been drafted by a team with competent development he'd probably still be a decent winger.

Quote:
these young guys got great experience pushing Anaheim to the limit in the 2nd round...I expect even more growth from them this year
Brodie at 23 played 47 games in the NHL vs. Nurse's 44 and outscored him 14 to 11. However Nurse also had more NHL games played at the same age and only saw 4 games in the AHL vs. Brodie's 115. And what do you know, by letting Brodie develop at a nice pace he turned into a very good young defenseman. Unlike the Oilers who have probably the worst defensive group in the league but threw in a young kid who wasn't ready because they have no other option. Classic Oilers.

Quote:
Well they should probably award them the cup then. Just like how in 2016/17 Chicago, St. Louis, LA, San Jose, Dallas, Detroit and Minnesota all had better odds in the West than Nashville.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #286
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well they should probably award them the cup then. Just like how in 2016/17 Chicago, St. Louis, LA, San Jose, Dallas, Detroit and Minnesota all had better odds in the West than Nashville.
Yeah that goes to show how meaningful pre-season odds are
Old 08-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #287
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I would have easily taken 20 year old Brodie over 22 year old Nurse and Benning. Brodie already had an elite play-making and passing ability, along with an on ice intelligence you can't teach. Brodie was a beauty. It was clear to fans, who were lucky enough to see 20 year old Brodie tear it up in 2010-2011 training camp, that he was special.

Every single time I have watched Nurse play, he has stood out as someone who continually makes basic mistakes. He could still end up to be good, but I don't see him any higher than a top 4. Benning is alright. I would take both over Wideman though
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #288
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most won't be on the Oilers after their current contract runs out as the Oilers won't be able to afford them. Have you looked at your salary structure and realized how ####ed it is?

Maroon ($1.5) - McDavid ($12.5) - Jokinen ($1.1M)
Lucic ($6M) - Draisaitl ($8.5)- Strome ($2.5M)
Kaissan ($1.95M) - Nothing-Happens ($6M) - Poolparty ($925K)
Slepyshev ($925K) - Caggiula ($925K) - Letestu ($1.8M)
Parakinen ($725K)

Larsson ($4.167M) - Klefbom ($4.167M)
Sekeras ($5.5M) - Russell ($4M!)
Benning ($925K) - Nurse ($863K)
Fayne ($3.625) - Gryba ($900K)

Talbot ($4.167)
Brossoit ($750K)

RFA
UFA

Try and plug some names and salaries into those holes. Try and get the production you got last season out of some of those names, for players with equal salaries. Things start to fall apart pretty quickly.

Quote:
No, he won't. The Tenderness is far from a good center. He's mediocre at best defensively, and he isn't a big scorer. He's being paid $6M a season for what again? He has no potential left to pay for, so what you see is what you get. He's a $3M player, at best, and if you can shelter him from play that exposes his lack of complete game. The return is going to be atrocious, because he's grossly overpaid and the Oilers can't afford to take salary back. This one is going to leave a mark.

Where Backlund was at the same age is irrelevant as the Flames weren't trying to trade him. Stay focused on the Oilers' situation, not the Flames.

Quote:
Well, except that we do. It doesn't take a lot to look at the economics affecting the market and realize that sports spending is trending in a negative way and people are no longer paying the dollars to watch sports. That is especially going to hurt the NHL and the revenues they can generate. Revenues are heading the wrong way for the players to execute the escalation cause without hurting their rank and file.

Quote:
Except the Oilers don't have the money to pay them. That's the point. You're talking about players that are going to be made unaffordable because of the mistakes made by Chia Pet. These guys are going to have to be low-balled if they want to be kept, and very few players are going to accept that. They'll demand opportunity elsewhere. This is where that pipeline is so important. When these second and third tier players need big raises, you trade them and bring in your other prospects. Problem is, the Oilers don't have any to bring in.

Quote:
Drafting in the top 10 isn't tough. Drafting 1st overall is even easier. Still being in the league is not a great measure when you're talking about drafting that high. Not developing to their potential is the problem.

Quote:
Again, focus on the Oilers, not the Flames.

Quote:
Those young guys got donkey punched by Anaheim. The only reason that series got extended past three games was because of Talbot. Without Talbot standing on his head that series is so out of hand that the Oilers don't have the sack to take the ice in game four.

Quote:
Talbot had a career year in starts, not save% or GAA
Talbot had a career year in everything, because it was his best year as a starter. There is a big difference in what you do as a starter versus what you do as a backup behind a stacked team. Talbot was all world last year. He takes any step backward and the Oilers are a lottery team. Trust us, we know what its like to have a great goaltender holding up a team, and just how far you can fall when your goaltender can't stop a beach ball. The Oilers will go as far as Talbot can carry them.

Quote:
except Vegas never had the Oilers as Cup favorite back then...neither did most publications so it's not just Oiler fans
You need to learn how betting odds works. What Vegas says rarely comes to fruition because the odds are not set by people who know hockey, they are set by people willing to make a stupid bet.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #289
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
"Vegas" doesn't have them as a "cup favorite" now. That's not how sports betting odds work.

I'll explain it to you... Say Vegas was going to take bets on the result of a coin flip, a bunch of devoted fans of "heads" bet on heads at even money... Vegas would then adjust the odds on "tails" to pay out more then a bet on heads would until the bets on tails covered the bets on heads.

The actual probability of heads or tails winning never changed. Vegas makes it's sports book money off the Vig.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #290
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
"Vegas" doesn't have them as a "cup favorite" now. That's not how sports betting odds work.

I'll explain it to you... Say Vegas was going to take bets on the result of a coin flip, a bunch of devoted fans of "heads" bet on heads at even money... Vegas would then adjust the odds on "tails" to pay out more then a bet on heads would until the bets on tails covered the bets on heads.

The actual probability of heads or tails winning never changed. Vegas makes it's sports book money off the Vig.
I guess you missed the part where I said "publications" as well..
AlbertaOiler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #291
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So Edmonton. Never change.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #292
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
No, I saw it... I just have no comment on the prognostications of those nameless publications. I did have comment on someone fundamental misunderstanding of what sports book odds are.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #293
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't say he "missed" it Bob. OblivousOiler72 is the highest quality of Oiler broken clock you can find. He's always right twice a day.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:49 PM   #294
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
And even then it costed them Taylor Hall to get Larsson, when it took us a couple of picks to get a clone in Hamonic. Chiarelli is horrible.
I'd take Dougie over Larsson any day of the week. He's a much better player.
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #295
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemjey View Post
I'd take Dougie over Larsson any day of the week. He's a much better player.
While true, Love said "a clone in Hamonic". Not Dougie.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #296
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm dumb, my brain read "Ham" and just filled in the blanks I guess.

...Mondays.
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #297
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tre got the Hams for cheap. Chia got egg on his face.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #298
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Tre got the Hams for cheap. Chia got egg on his face.
Sort of like that line motivational speakers always use about the ham and eggs breakfast "the hen was involved, but the pig was committed". One could even say about the BOA the Chia was involved, but the Tre was committed!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #299
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think after the Drai contract it should be that Tre was involved and Chia should be committed!
Old 08-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #300
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Sort of like that line motivational speakers always use about the ham and eggs breakfast
So you like ham and eggs huh?
Well your going to be dreaming all the time about ham and eggs when you're living is van down by the river.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote