Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Teaching Myself Adobe Creative Suite

I'm looking for advice from the CP community on how to go about teaching myself certain aspects of Adobe Creative Suite. I am a complete beginner to these programs and I'm wondering what the best way to get started would be. Particularly, I'm looking to get familiar with Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and possibly Premier Pro. Of course the more I can learn about the entire Suite the better.

I have checked out some Class in a Books at Chapters that might be a worthwhile investment. However, there has to be some comprehensive and newbie-friendly free resources on the interwebz.

Before I invest too much time and cash into something that may not be effective or suitable for my experience I thought I would reach out to the experts.

As always, thank you in advance.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out https://www.lynda.com
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

You can get free access to Lynda.com with a Calgary Public Library card. Not very helpful if you're in Red Deer but FYI for Calgarians.

https://calgarylibrary.ca/resources/online-courses/

Adobe has a bunch of tutorials online.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/tutorials.html

Youtube is also a great resource. There are a lot of channels like this one with tips

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJ...WRe0mJ2lp7NAsA
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a bunch of online courses that you can take. However I took a really great course with a fantastic teacher that I would highly recommend and having someone guide you along, myself I learn much better that way.

I enrolled in the course through New Era Technologies and ended up being the only student who showed up. Got a private lesson for 2 days. I had zero knowledge going in, and 2 days later I'm a power user who is making wacky gifs and making great drawings in illustrator.

If you want I can PM you his details. If I ever end up taking additional training, I will be going through him again. I believe he does private lessons for individuals or smaller groups.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
If you want I can PM you his details. If I ever end up taking additional training, I will be going through him again. I believe he does private lessons for individuals or smaller groups.
I'd be interested as well. My dad would love something like that.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, Lynda is an amazing resource. It's almost unbelievable. I really like how they organize topics into software, skill level, and especially learning paths.

Thanks to everyone that brought this to my attention and those that have been giving me some tips to get started.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
You can get a free account through the public library.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My full-time job is teaching digital media production, often using the Adobe Creative Suite

The Adobe Creative Suite is a group of very loosely related tools for a wide range of creative avenues from music editing to video editing, website development, photo editing, graphic design and more. Saying you want to learn the Creative Suite is a daunting task because there is so much that the suite can do, and so many different skills required. Even saying [I]"I want to learn Photoshop."[I] often isn't realistic - what do you want to learn to do in Photoshop?

I always suggest to my students that they have a project in mind. Do you want to learn how to edit photos and post them to your own website? Create, edit and post your own podcast to the Internet? Learn the principles of illustration so you can use Illustrator to make your own comic book? Once you know what you want to do, it'll be much easier to figure out what tools and functions of those tools you need to get that job done.

Remember that these programs are all tools to do a job - but just learning the tool isn't the only solution. You need to often learn other skills like colour theory, design principles, etc to really be successful. I could teach you how to use a hammer, saw, level and screwdriver (tools) but that doesn't mean you'll automatically be able to create beautiful kitchen cabinets.