Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What Have I done?

Ovechkin upon hearing he has been traded to the Islanders

Well Saturday was an interesting day for the Sharks. 3 big name players were sent packing in two different deals that significantly changes the face of the franchise. Let's break down both deals from the Sharks perspective.

Trade #1

To SJ
Alex Wennberg
Jonathan Marchessault
Kevin Stedlend
Nathan Bastain
2018 1st SJ
2018 1st Buf

To Montreal
Tyler Seguin
Taylor Hall

The Sharks went into free agency with little wiggle room, had 4 roster sports to fill and only $4mill to do it with. In this deal we also get a couple of former 2nd round prospects in Stedlend and Bastain so hoping at least 1 of them can turn out to be OK.

Why did we do this? To give us flexibility moving into 17-18 and to add to a very weak asset pool. We really like Wennberg and he has 2 years left on his ELC.

Trade #2

To SJ
Conor Sheary
F. Gaudreau
Scott Laughton
Kole Lind
2019 1st

To NYI
Alex Ovechkin

Again, in this trade we don't get back a top end bluechip but we do get a decent and cheap player in Sheary, a 1st in 2019 that we'll hang onto and some prospects. Laughton was a former 1st rounder so hoping he can stick to the NHL this year and Lind was just drafted outside the 1st round. Taking a flyer on F. Gaudreau, hoping he can stick with the Preds this year and has been playing lights out in the AHL.

All year trading was difficult because the Sharks organization lacked assets like 1sts and prospects to get many deals done. This was frustrating because we really felt handcuffed. This is a gamble but it is one I was willing to make to free us from the burden of being right up against the cap. We get some good assets back and are in a position to take on a couple of bad contract if we need too.

We still have solid players like Pavalski, Kreider, Weber, Byf and Rask so we still intend to be a competitive team, but the expectations are certainly not as high as they were 24 hours ago. Add Wennberg, Sheary, Marchessault, Hanzal to those guys and we think we are still OK.

All of a sudden the Sharks have $22Mill burning a hole in our pockets. We are hoping to put that to use for 2nd batch free agency. If that doesn't work out I am sure there will be teams willing to dump bad contracts.

Thanks to Mosher and Scorp for the deals. If you are happy, I am happy.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love watching you run an organization, I can learn a lot about the art of the deal by watching yourself and a couple other GM maneuver and re-load their team

I don't understand a lot of these deals that were made and it's my lack of vision (no pun intended, lol) that has been my handicap and something I've been trying to address more and more and especially this season

:head nod:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade Bonus:

Sharks pick up Marion Hossa (73OV) for a 4th. The trades above allowed this to happen and anytime we add players like this it makes those trades even better.

We can plug Hossa right into our top 6.

A quick Summary:

Going to San Jose:
Alex Wennberg
Jonathan Marchessault
Marion Hossa
Conor Sheary
Kevin Stedlend
Nathan BastainF. Gaudreau
Scott Laughton
Kole Lind
2018 1st SJ
2018 1st Buf
2019 1st

Leaving San Jose:
Tyler Seguin
Taylor Hall
Alex Ovechkin
2018 4th

Last edited by MJK; 07-30-2017 at 04:13 PM.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote