Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #41
Inglewood Jack
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Inglewood Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Exp:
Default

My experience is that this tactic used to work, both with cable and mobile providers...but last few times I've used it, they just say "ok, see ya, good luck idiot". We'll not exactly like that but it seems they've been battle hardened from this strategy being overused. That and they really don't care cause they get paid either way, if not from you then from everyone else.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #42
Boblobla
Franchise Player
 
Boblobla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

I am on the verge of making the move to Telus. I am really not happy with Shaw recently.
__________________

Thanks to HD for the sig.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #43
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender
 
wooohooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

What's wrong with shaw boblobla? I'm with telus now and signed that three year contract for a tv. Wish I never did that. Telus just doesn't really compare to shaw IMO. If you are using gateway it's way superior
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #44
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
What's wrong with shaw boblobla? I'm with telus now and signed that three year contract for a tv. Wish I never did that. Telus just doesn't really compare to shaw IMO. If you are using gateway it's way superior
I love the gateway, I have converted 3 friends over to it and they also love it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #45
Jade
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

What is the issue Boblobla? I work at shaw and can look into it if there's something you're having a problem with. Feel free to PM me with details if you would prefer.
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #46
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
What is the issue Boblobla? I work at shaw and can look into it if there's something you're having a problem with. Feel free to PM me with details if you would prefer.
I mean I hate Shaw, and the gateway sucks. If I don't get a discount I'll leave them!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #47
sfpipes
Draft Pick
 
sfpipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Spruce Grove, AB
Default

I have been on the fence recently about switching my services from Shaw. I moved out of Calgary to Westlock a year and a half ago and it's like I'm in the land that time forgot. No proper digital service, so no phone or gateway options. Internet speed caps at 25. I haven't switched because I'm sure Telus isn't any better out here, especially for internet. However, the Shaw customer service is what's pushing me to the edge. I get bad reception, extra slow internet and no one seems to be give a crap. Let alone does anyone actually fix anything. I miss the city and my Gateway system. Sounds like that will never make it out here. Count yourselves lucky to have proper options. Well, as proper as they can be I guess.
sfpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #48
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender
 
wooohooo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Being out there are you on the satellite system? Does telus do satellite? If they run cables then I'm sure it'll be better
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #49
Boblobla
Franchise Player
 
Boblobla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
What is the issue Boblobla? I work at shaw and can look into it if there's something you're having a problem with. Feel free to PM me with details if you would prefer.
The grandfathered rates are getting really frustrating and when I call to try and get some of the new channels added the cost of my package would be WAY higher than what a new subscriber is paying.

I am not on gateway and have tried to call and get a deal as I have always purchased all of my boxes from shaw but no dice. I am not up for another purchase of new hardware again. I bought 2 new boxes 3 or so years ago and they work fine, I have a hard time justifying the expense of a gateway system.

A buddy of mine just moved and signed up with Telus and he seems very happy.

I guess my biggest issue is that a new subscriber could get way more than what I currently have for the same or less money. Whenever I call and talk to someone they are quite useless. I realize that is the same with all call centres but it does not change how frustrating it is. I don't want to have to threaten to move to another company to get good customer service.

TL;DR, I am a whiny bitch...
__________________

Thanks to HD for the sig.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #50
Jade
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Sorry to hear about the issues sfpipes. I know it's tough in some of the smaller areas with the limitations. Keep in mind it may not be an issue of people not wanting to help, so much as maybe not having anything we can do. Trust me when I say we get frustrated with some of the more limited areas as well. If you want I can take a look at the account, although I'm not in tech support, I don't know if I'll know enough to help. If all else fails I can get someone in that team who I know is pretty good to look at it. No promises about what we'll be able to do, but we can give it a try.
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #51
Jade
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
The grandfathered rates are getting really frustrating and when I call to try and get some of the new channels added the cost of my package would be WAY higher than what a new subscriber is paying.

I am not on gateway and have tried to call and get a deal as I have always purchased all of my boxes from shaw but no dice. I am not up for another purchase of new hardware again. I bought 2 new boxes 3 or so years ago and they work fine, I have a hard time justifying the expense of a gateway system.

A buddy of mine just moved and signed up with Telus and he seems very happy.

I guess my biggest issue is that a new subscriber could get way more than what I currently have for the same or less money. Whenever I call and talk to someone they are quite useless. I realize that is the same with all call centres but it does not change how frustrating it is. I don't want to have to threaten to move to another company to get good customer service.

TL;DR, I am a whiny bitch...

I get the issues with the grandfathered rates, I realize they have gone up pretty quickly. As far as being more than new customers, everything grandfathered is less than the current rate. I know there are the new customer promos that will give a discount for a limited time, but nothing that will match at regular rate. Really what grandfathered means is just that the particular code is one that we cannot use anymore. If you want to change to the newer rates you can, it just isn't usually beneficial. As far as the gateway goes, we generally don't offer much in the way of deals for them, although for any equipment we do have purchase, rental, financing and service agreement options. Also if you want someone to look into what options are available, you can just ask them to look into the account and see if there is anything they can do for you. It can be a little hit or miss with who you get, any company is like that, and sometimes there really is nothing that can be done on an account, but usually if you approach it as a 'i like shaw and want to stay but...' you can get someone to look into the account a little further to try to come up with options.
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #52
Minnie
#1 Goaltender
 
Minnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: On your last nerve...:D
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
The grandfathered rates are getting really frustrating and when I call to try and get some of the new channels added the cost of my package would be WAY higher than what a new subscriber is paying.

I guess my biggest issue is that a new subscriber could get way more than what I currently have for the same or less money.
This might be my one complaint about Shaw. We've had excellent service and we've been with Shaw coming up on 15 years. Shaw gets a fair amount of our money. But every little thing is only ever geared toward newcomers. There really should be some sort of special offers once in a while, that are geared toward the long term customer base.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #53
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
This might be my one complaint about Shaw. We've had excellent service and we've been with Shaw coming up on 15 years. Shaw gets a fair amount of our money. But every little thing is only ever geared toward newcomers. There really should be some sort of special offers once in a while, that are geared toward the long term customer base.
Step One:
Find out what Telus is offering for a new plan or just make up a number you like.
Step Two:
Call shaw and ask them how much notice you need to give to cancel your service if you are switching to someone else.
Step Three:
Keep talking until they ask you why you are thinking about switching.
Step Four: Say I really like shaw, and the service has been great over the years but Telus is offering me XXXXXX and I did some math and it seems to be a better deal.
Step Five: Keep chatting about the differences between Telus and Shaw and be complimentary of shaw but keep mentioning how good of deal they have until Shaw offers you a discounted rate for 6 to 12 months. I find that you do this about every 18 months to 2 years. Essentailly you have to wait 12 months from when your last deal expired.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #54
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster
 
Mazrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Gary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
But every little thing is only ever geared toward newcomers. There really should be some sort of special offers once in a while, that are geared toward the long term customer base.
I've been with Shaw for a decade now and this is the second year in a row they've offered me a 6 month promo for cheap TV channels if I am willing to hook up a home phone for free. This year they also gave me a free HD Box. I'd say they're doing enough to keep me happy.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #55
Boblobla
Franchise Player
 
Boblobla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I've been with Shaw for a decade now and this is the second year in a row they've offered me a 6 month promo for cheap TV channels if I am willing to hook up a home phone for free. This year they also gave me a free HD Box. I'd say they're doing enough to keep me happy.
I have been with them for 10 years with cable, phone and internet and have never received 1 offer.
__________________

Thanks to HD for the sig.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #56
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster
 
Mazrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Gary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I have been with them for 10 years with cable, phone and internet and have never received 1 offer.
Two questions: Do you have a package that already has most or all of the channels they offer and a home phone? If you already have the top package, they don't have much to work with. I have a low end package with lots of room to move up, hence the promo packages. Also, Have you ever called asking for any offers they may have available?

The first time I got an offer was calling them and asking to see if I could add a couple channels cheaply. The next two years they just called me instead.

It's a bit of a pain having to call them in 6 months to change the plan back and to dig out the home phone modem from behind the couch and returning it to Shaw, but oh well.

Last edited by Mazrim; 02-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM   #57
Tyler
Franchise Player
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

I've got a 3 year old Shaw PVR and the responsiveness just SUCKS lately.

I've put new batteries in the remote and nothing seems to fix it. Is this a software issue or should I just go and get a new remote from a Shaw store?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #58
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Misterpants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Exp:
Default

It's really frustrating to have to continually do this dance with Shaw every year to get a better deal when you've dumped so much money into them. More frustrating is realizing I watch only 10% of the channels I have but I require pretty much the top package to get all the channels.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #59
MarchHare
Franchise Player
 
MarchHare's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Seriously, Shaw, stop telemarketing to me. I'm a cord cutter. I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever want cable. I've made my position clear and asked to be removed from their calling list three times now, yet they still find it necessary to interrupt my dinner with phone spam ever 2-3 months.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #60
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster
 
Mazrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Gary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
More frustrating is realizing I watch only 10% of the channels I have but I require pretty much the top package to get all the channels.
The normal package I get for TV is the Basic HD/whatever package has Discovery and Space and I pay like $3 a month extra to get Oasis HD. I lost a few I liked but we didn't miss it much, and I get all the hockey and football I need.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016