Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #61
Dion
Not a casual user
 
Dion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: A simple man leading a complicated life....
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I recall two of them. One was at Dutton's Lounge, the other at Peanuts Pub to watch Game 6 of the 1989 Cup Finals.

Man, that was a long time ago.
Some unrelated trivia from that night

I was playing in the Calgary Ball Hockey League and our team got shelacked 20-3 that night. We were aptly called the "NoStars".
__________________
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #62
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester
 
SportsJunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I was a moderator over on the Flames official forum back in 2004-2006, but got annoyed by them changing the software and making the mod duties 10X harder. Didn't feel like posting there any more, and heard of CP a few times, but never really bothered to come over here until I got annoyed and stayed because it was vastly more active.
Ha, I remember meeting you when that site planned a meet up at some pub. I remember thinking you were a fine young man back then. Now you are old and fit right in around here ha ha. It's neat to see how many of us are here now. It's been a long time.
__________________
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by SportsJunky; 08-12-2017 at 07:55 PM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #63
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Think we should start having those CP pub nights like we did back in the day. They were always amazing. The assumption of 100 internet nerds was replaced by the actuality of a lot of great people with a pretty normal thing in common.
Or the Jihads like the time we did it to the St. Louis bunch. That was a riot.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #64
sec304
Powerplay Quarterback
 
sec304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Thanks so much for this!! I found my first joined date under my old username, I joined Oct 2002, even using my old government e-mail, wow!

I remember way back I found this site because of the "Flames Depth Chart" that never seemed to update in a timely manner, haha
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #65
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Palm Isle
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Or the Jihads like the time we did it to the St. Louis bunch. That was a riot.
Jeff Gordon and stltoday.com Blues forum. That was hilarious. I was "Plager Brother."

It was probably at the franchise's lowest point when Gordon started ragging on the franchise, stating "they may never make the play-offs again." It mobilized the CalgaryPuck community. It was a call to arms.

Good times. Some hilarious bits posted.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 08-12-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #66
IgiTang
#1 Goaltender
 
IgiTang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Exp:
Default

Congrats Mike and Bingo! Thank you for giving all of us a place to come and not only get excited about the Flames and have some entertaining banter, but to also learn more about hockey froma pretty insightful community.

Also, Congrats to you all who have been here since the beginning and all other CP'ers who have discovered CP!

And to all you mother truckers on my ignore list! Thank you for making me feel high and mighty!

Cheers and thank you again Creators, including the early support!
__________________
Kick the tires and light the fires!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #67
TheScorpion
First round-bust
 
TheScorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: South Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Ha, I remember meeting you when that site planned a meet up at some pub. I remember thinking you were a fine young man back then. Now you are old and fit right in around here ha ha. It's neat to see how many of us are here now. It's been a long time.
You bet he's old.
__________________
Days until I can change my avatar: 101


TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #68
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Jeff Gordon and stltoday.com Blues forum. That was hilarious. I was "Plager Brother."

It was probably at the franchise's lowest point when Gordon started ragging on the franchise, stating "they may never make the play-offs again." It mobilized the CalgaryPuck community. It was a call to arms.

Good times. Some hilarious bits posted.
I remember someone asked him if he got dizzy going round and round the racetrack...i was quite literally LOL.

Good times indeed.
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #69
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Jeff Gordon and stltoday.com Blues forum. That was hilarious. I was "Plager Brother."

It was probably at the franchise's lowest point when Gordon started ragging on the franchise, stating "they may never make the play-offs again." It mobilized the CalgaryPuck community. It was a call to arms.

Good times. Some hilarious bits posted.
I can't even remember who I was / Gassoff maybe. Remember somebody was Federko. The over the top Blues fans was enough to even get to their rose coloured glass types.

Last edited by St. Pats; 08-12-2017 at 11:53 PM.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #70
csnarpy
Powerplay Quarterback
 
csnarpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I was a moderator over on the Flames official forum back in 2004-2006, but got annoyed by them changing the software and making the mod duties 10X harder. Didn't feel like posting there any more, and heard of CP a few times, but never really bothered to come over here until I got annoyed and stayed because it was vastly more active.

It's an awesome place to share thoughts and ideas.

This! I was with you over there as a mod but just hated the software changes implemented by the nhl. I was always lurking over here and soon after those changes were implemented I left the official board and came here permanently.

Man, a while back I would meet up with a group of guys from here weekly for a poker night.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #71
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger
 
flame^thrower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: canuckleheadville
Exp:
Default

Wow, I guess last week was my 14th year anniversary here! I have spent most of my time reading and lurking, but damn near every day of the past 14 years I have been on. Most likely lurked a while even before that too. Happy Anniversary everyone!
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #72
killer_carlson
Franchise Player
 
killer_carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Jeff Gordon and stltoday.com Blues forum. That was hilarious. I was "Plager Brother."

It was probably at the franchise's lowest point when Gordon started ragging on the franchise, stating "they may never make the play-offs again." It mobilized the CalgaryPuck community. It was a call to arms.

Good times. Some hilarious bits posted.
Was that the first Jihad?
__________________
"OOOOOOHHHHHHH those Russians" - Boney M
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #73
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Was that the first Jihad?
Yup....at least Im pretty sure it was.

I remember cringing somewhat to calling it a jihad at the time...as that was still at the height of 9/11 fallout.
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #74
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Palm Isle
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yup....at least Im pretty sure it was.

I remember cringing somewhat to calling it a jihad at the time...as that was still at the height of 9/11 fallout.
It was cathartic in that sense. I think folks just needed to let out a bit of steam.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #75
Vinny01
Franchise Player
 
Vinny01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CGY
Exp:
Default

My favorite place on the internet
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #76
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Was that the first Jihad?
That was the first foray as a big group. I do remember various skirmishes on other boards but nothing like that one.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #77
Cheese
Franchise Player
 
Cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Some unrelated trivia from that night

I was playing in the Calgary Ball Hockey League and our team got shelacked 20-3 that night. We were aptly called the "NoStars".
you were on the No stars? I was a Schooner lol.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #78
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Palm Isle
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
That was the first foray as a big group. I do remember various skirmishes on other boards but nothing like that one.
It started because Jeff Gordon wrote that the Calgary Flames "may never make the playoffs again."

He's still writing there, BTW.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #79
killer_carlson
Franchise Player
 
killer_carlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

I think there was one before that. Someone somewhere said something about Darcy or the site and we all went over en masse in response.

It wasn't anything rude at all - totally minor - but it was enough to rally the troops if I recall correctly.
__________________
"OOOOOOHHHHHHH those Russians" - Boney M
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to killer_carlson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #80
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I think there was one before that. Someone somewhere said something about Darcy or the site and we all went over en masse in response.

It wasn't anything rude at all - totally minor - but it was enough to rally the troops if I recall correctly.
Was it the Leafs site?
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016