Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #2301
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Just think, only 29 days until the Young Stars tournament starts!
That feels like forever at this time of year!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #2302
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Par makes terrible thread, hockey.modern made terrible threads and, oops well your name must be a mistake, my sincere apologies.
I hardly make any non-CPHL threads anymore.

Boy, you barely showed up here again a month ago and you haven't wasted any time knowing who you like and don't like. I've noticed it's been more of the latter than the former.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #2303
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
"Iginla retires - should he coach or move into management with the Flames?"
TheScorpion
Par
hockey.modern
etc etc
Old 08-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #2304
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
It blows my mind that some people are so easily able to reduce Iginla's incredible career to a bad trade and poor management. I, for one, have many incredible memories of this amazing player and his time with the Flames.
I'm not reducing his career to that at all. I also have many incredible memories of Iginla. But the last of his tenure with us was during a very bad era. The team needed to move on, to find new youth, new franchise players to build around. It's like ending a relationship with someone you liked because it just had to end for both of you to move forward. Iginla had to go. We've moved on. We have new franchise players. We have a new leadership core. There's no reason to dwell in the past. Iginla is not the player he once was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
If you choose focus on the negatives, have at it, but don't go crapping on those who still have positive feelings about and nostalgia for Iginla. He's a future HOFer for damned good reasons.
Don't think I've spent much time crapping on Iginla fans. Nor was that my intent. I was mostly trying to provide the perspective of those who've moved on. Of course he's a future HOF.

The problem is the suggestion of adding him doesn't really make any sense from a hockey perspective. It only makes sense from a nostalgia perspective. We've moved on and Iginla is on his last legs. Because of his former role here it would make it awkward for him to come back in a much reduced role. What happens if he has to be scratched? What happens if he scrapes along on the 4th line? Imagine all the press questions of everyone. How about bringing back a future HOFer and former captain and how that makes the current captain feel and how it could change the dressing room dynamics. He's such a legend here, how is he going to come here and be a 3rd/4th liner who isn't the main leader?

I do have positive memories of Iginla and I don't want to them tarnished by bringing him back as a shell of his former self. I don't think it would be healthy for him to come back here to the scrutiny of the place where he used to be the franchise player when he's a quarter the player he used to be. I don't think it would be good for him. I don't think it would be good for the Flames. Iginla couldn't excel on one of the thinnest lineups in the league. I don't think he's going to be a contributing force on a much deeper lineup. I just don't see a fit.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #2305
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think by the end of his time here. He should a perceived me first attitude and the hell with the rest of the team. Until that is cleared up I would stay away from bringing him back except for the 24 hour retire contract.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #2306
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie the Whaler View Post
I think by the end of his time here. He should a perceived me first attitude and the hell with the rest of the team. Until that is cleared up I would stay away from bringing him back except for the 24 hour retire contract.
You know, he was here through enough crap regimes that IF he was thinking that by the end of his time here, I am 100% ok with that. His entire career before that he was amazing for the team and community. If he was fed up at the end, who can blame him? He showed some amazing patience with this franchise when others would have bolted.

All my opinion of course.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #2307
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you mean until the perception of the "me first attitude" is cleared up? Because what you seem to be saying is that a few fans thought he was selfish, and until that's changed to those fans' satisfaction, don't bring him back.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #2308
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Do you mean until the perception of the "me first attitude" is cleared up? Because what you seem to be saying is that a few fans thought he was selfish, and until that's changed to those fans' satisfaction, don't bring him back.

I thought he would not back check, his appearance of who cares if we score on the power play as long as I am on the first pp unit. To me he looked like one of the causes of the rot which killed the team. It did not matter that he was the team in his early years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #2309
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought he would not back check, his appearance of who cares if we score on the power play as long as I am on the first pp unit. To me he looked like one of the causes of the rot which killed the team. It did not matter that he was the team in his early years.

Well, to me, your opinion seems silly and flies in the face of all the things we continually hear about Jarome from those in the hockey community.

I think your analysis of Jarome's time here is incorrect.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #2310
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

At first he would be the reason we won. But by the end look at what he did for Pittsburgh, Boston Colorado and Los Angeles. He was one of the reasons all those teams lost with him there.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #2311
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla pre 04 lockout was an awesome two way player who would will the team to win.

After the lockout, I view him much the same way as Torrie does. He became a passive perimeter player like Tanguay who was too good to backcheck and do all the things necessary to win. There was a reason why the Flames underperformed every year from 2005-06 forward and I feel a lot of that had to do with #12. If the captain doesn't backcheck or do all the little things right, why should I. Fostered a losing culture in the organization that did not disappear until all the people involved got dealt.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #2312
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

So Iggy's to blame for being unable to lead a team of bad/average players to the promise land?

Iginla is why the team didn't develop a single good NHL player during his tenure as a Calgary Flame. Iginla is why we had two average/above average centres during his entire 16 year career here?

It was all because Iginla was an offensive player who was utterly elite for a good chunk of time, and because he couldn't carry the team up front entirely by himself for his entire 16 years, he is to blame for all shortcomings.

Iggy fostered the losing culture and it had nothing to do with the years of #1 centre David Moss. #1 LW Nigel Dawes. The wasted years under head coach Brent Sutter (...who hasn't seen a glimpse of the NHL since coaching here), the abysmal management of Darryl Sutter and Jay Feaster.

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous to watch fans of this team turn on a player of Iginla's quality. Iggy didn't let this organization down, not for one single day.

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-12-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #2313
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
So Iggy's to blame for being unable to lead a team of bad/average players to the promise land?

Iginla is why the team didn't develop a single good NHL player during his tenure as a Calgary Flame. Iginla is why we had two average/above average centres during his entire 16 year career here?

It was all because Iginla was an offensive player who was utterly elite for a good chunk of time, and because he couldn't carry the team up front entirely by himself for his entire 16 years, he is to blame for all shortcomings.

Iggy fostered the losing culture and it had nothing to do with the years of #1 centre David Moss. #1 LW Nigel Dawes. The wasted years under head coach Brent Sutter (...who hasn't seen a glimpse of the NHL since coaching here), the abysmal management of Darryl Sutter and Jay Feaster.

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous to watch fans of this team turn on a player of Iginla's quality. Iggy didn't let this organization down, not for one single day.
The Flames should have done better based on the overall level of talent they had on the team from 2006-2012. They should not have missed the playoffs for four straight seasons heading into when Iginla was dealt. I remember doing a rant back in 2009 or so basically saying to blow it up because there was something wrong with the makeup of the team. It was following that game where the Flames were up 5-0 on Chicago and lost, and then sucked the next night against Columbus. It was apparent all the way through. It isn't revisionist history.

The team's drafting was horrible. Not much you can do about that now. It is improved thankfully. It would have been great to see the team develop some players beyond 20 goal scorer David Moss, but that is what it is. It wasn't entirely Iginla's fault, just like it's not entirely Ovechkin's fault in Washington. Relying on a winger to be the most important player in your organization is folly. The Blues did nothing with Hull. The Flames did nothing with Iginla and the Caps will likely do nothing with Ovechkin. The only reason why Hull has rings is that he accepted the idea of not being the guy and going to stacked teams in Dallas and Detroit. Iginla chose his destinations poorly following his departure from Calgary.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #2314
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Iginla pre 04 lockout was an awesome two way player who would will the team to win.

After the lockout, I view him much the same way as Torrie does. He became a passive perimeter player like Tanguay who was too good to backcheck and do all the things necessary to win. There was a reason why the Flames underperformed every year from 2005-06 forward and I feel a lot of that had to do with #12. If the captain doesn't backcheck or do all the little things right, why should I. Fostered a losing culture in the organization that did not disappear until all the people involved got dealt.
This is a sweeping generalization.

There were several years post lockout where he was considered the best player in the game.

Suggesting he was a floater after '06 who poisoned the team's work ethic is an over dramatic exaggeration. Yes, as he approached his mid-30s he slowed down but he was never a Vanek. He even had a great year in Boston where what you're saying isn't true.

It's fine to point out that he faded as he got older and wasn't the same player, but this post just strays way too far from the truth.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #2315
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

After 2004 Iggy lost weight to speed up for the new style of NHL play. He was never the same because of progress - the kind of player he was in the early days was not as necessary any more. He still carried this team along with Kipper. The rest of the team was almost garbage with mediocre players like Conroy and Langkow looking amazing playing with Iggy.

I think some of you guys are completely nuts and should have your keyboards confiscated. Iggy had maybe one bad year. The rest of his time here he kept the Dome full (of #12 jerseys no less).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #2316
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Iginla sort of changed after the knee injury in early 2007. He was actually having a phenomenal season until that injury. I think he was a bit tentative coming back. Than in 07-08 Keenan might have been the worst guy. Iginla had a career season, but at the expense of all around play. After that father time ran him down....after all he was 32.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #2317
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
After 2004 Iggy lost weight to speed up for the new style of NHL play. He was never the same because of progress - the kind of player he was in the early days was not as necessary any more. He still carried this team along with Kipper. The rest of the team was almost garbage with mediocre players like Conroy and Langkow looking amazing playing with Iggy.

I think some of you guys are completely nuts and should have your keyboards confiscated. Iggy had maybe one bad year. The rest of his time here he kept the Dome full (of #12 jerseys no less).

I believe you did not watch the team sputtering almost appearing rudderless the last year he was here. I think you are right to point out he was not the only one to be blamed but as captain it is your responsibility to help the team in what ever way you could to at least have an appearance of work ethic that was noticeably missing from the team, during the last couple of years he was here. Amazingly after he was gone the work ethic magically reappeared. I am sorry but that should be enough proof something was a miss. Maybe the captains c should have been at least taken away but then his legacy would have been forever tainted.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #2318
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I believe you did not watch the team sputtering almost appearing rudderless the last year he was here. I think you are right to point out he was not the only one to be blamed but as captain it is your responsibility to help the team in what ever way you could to at least have an appearance of work ethic that was noticeably missing from the team, during the last couple of years he was here. Amazingly after he was gone the work ethic magically reappeared. I am sorry but that should be enough proof something was a miss. Maybe the captains c should have been at least taken away but then his legacy would have been forever tainted.

If i'm not mistaken Iginla was usually one of the fittest if not the fittest players in training camp each season. The problem during Iginla's tenure wasn't his work ethic it was mindset of the team that counted on him to do everything.No one player can do it all and the players we got to support him were players weren't players who could take some of the roles away from him. Tanguay and Huselius main role was to pass the puck. Even Jokinen wasn't a player to take over some of the offensive duties. Iginla was counted on scoring goals for the team, being physical, which included getting into fights to protect himself, and captain the team. He had to cheat a bit on the defensive side of the game because without him the team struggle to win. He wasn't cheating because he had no work ethic it was because he knew he would be counted on to use his strengths in the offensive zone.

The team's ethic didn't appear because Iginla left. It appeared because many of the players at the time only had work ethic to their name. This team didn't turn around because Iginla left it turned around because of Giordano, Brodie, Gaudreau and Monahan helped create a balanced team. With Iginla the team was built to be carried by one guy. Now we are building a team with a more balanced approach.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #2319
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
If i'm not mistaken Iginla was usually one of the fittest if not the fittest players in training camp each season. The problem during Iginla's tenure wasn't his work ethic it was mindset of the team that counted on him to do everything.No one player can do it all and the players we got to support him were players weren't players who could take some of the roles away from him. Tanguay and Huselius main role was to pass the puck. Even Jokinen wasn't a player to take over some of the offensive duties. Iginla was counted on scoring goals for the team, being physical, which included getting into fights to protect himself, and captain the team. He had to cheat a bit on the defensive side of the game because without him the team struggle to win. He wasn't cheating because he had no work ethic it was because he knew he would be counted on to use his strengths in the offensive zone.

The team's ethic didn't appear because Iginla left. It appeared because many of the players at the time only had work ethic to their name. This team didn't turn around because Iginla left it turned around because of Giordano, Brodie, Gaudreau and Monahan helped create a balanced team. With Iginla the team was built to be carried by one guy. Now we are building a team with a more balanced approach.

I believe you cannot see but for your eyes..... the team gave up on itself while he was the captain and even though he used to win just by his talent alone he could not do that anymore.
I really enjoyed the way he could put everyone on his back and win for us he had to reinvent himself like Lanny did before him to win the cup.
He did not do that and almost killed his legacy as well as his team.
The hardest thing for a generational talent sometimes is to put the team a head of himself.

I again I am not placing the blame only on him but without him leaving the team could not win. And without having him there to win the game by himself the team had to reinvent itself.
Now concerning bringing him back, look at the teams that he was on in the last number of years. Something does not pass the eye and nose test. Let the young guys that we have try to win a spot on the team. Let him finish his fantastic career with another gold medal for Canada and then we can retire him with a one day contract and he can go into the hall of fame on the first ballet.
Wouldn't be better to have a Hollywood ending?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #2320
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So...and rumours out there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stormchaser For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread