Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #861
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Been meaning to try out an antenna for a long time, finally impulse bought a cheap one on Prime Day.

I live on Signal Hill and I'm within 5 miles of the broadcast towers for the 6 main channels. I thought just about any indoor antenna would be fine, but the one I got receives only the first three of these:

I tried multiple locations, including outdoors, and saw no effect.

Am I missing something or is this just an awful antenna?
I bought an expensive RCA antenna from Wal Mart to try this out and it failed to pick up channels. Most of the modern ones seem to suck. Eventually I found one of those 1980s TV antennas with the little plastic dish and UHF/VHF/FM tuning, etc. in a thrift store for $2 and it picks up every OTA HD channel when put on the balcony, even on a balcony in the middle of downtown surrounded by other buildings.

There's something deliciously nice about getting clear HD signals over 30 year old TV technology.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #862
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Anyone here gone the IPTV route? Or is that not good to discuss here since it's on the shadier side of the line
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #863
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Anyone here gone the IPTV route? Or is that not good to discuss here since it's on the shadier side of the line
There are absolutely 100% legal IPTV options. Those that aren't legal are black, not shady.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #864
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yea, usually when I heard IPTV I think of subscription-based television that happens to be delivered over the Internet rather than via cable or satellite. I understand that Shaw's BlueSky service is IPTV, as is Telus's Optik service.

Of course, illegal or grey area streaming services will also deliver their content over the Internet. I guess sometimes this is also referred to as IPTV? That can make it pretty confusing.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post: