Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #61
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
amazing how Ken King's reputation around here has changed in recent years...
it's deserved
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #62
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Please confirm or correct what you are quoted as saying in the original post.
But I am not Ken King.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #63
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
They don't actually believe they can at this point, do they?
You think they're spending to the cap max (Hudler, Wideman, etc) is for anything else then win now? The mandate is the same... win now, for sure. Their actions show it, their words show it... 2nd round pick for Cammalleri, bring in Ramo too so if (?) Kiprusoff retires next year, there is a goaltender still there to "win now" ... even if Iginla is gone, I bet its still "win now" ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #64
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Does anyone else feel like this team is approaching some kind of Bill Wurtz Blackhawks level in regards to managing the team?
Good lord no. Not even close.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #65
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
amazing how Ken King's reputation around here has changed in recent years...
Disappointing, in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #66
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read the thread title as New Iginla Building.

And suddenly it all made sense.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #67
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

I don't want to see Iginla go, but here's the reason HE SHOULD...

This is Iginla's team, and as long as it's his team...no one will take over the reins as top dog. That's from a ceremonial standpoint (Captaincy) and ice time standpoint.

It's full at the top of this team's food chain, and Iginla's not going to step aside.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #68
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifffletcher View Post
i read the thread title as new iginla building.

And suddenly it all made sense.
lol
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #69
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Disappointing, in my opinion.
Why? Ticket prices consistently go up, the product consistently goes down and there seems to be no direction for the hockey club beyond middling mediocrity. King is not directly responsible for the hockey operations, but he is responsible for the overall direction of the club.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #70
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know people who do business wit KK. from what I'm told he is a bit of a dick and a bully. I can see him phrasing it that way to Iggy too, "we Invested in you, you owe it to us to stay".
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #71
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I know people who do business wit KK. from what I'm told he is a bit of a dick and a bully. I can see him phrasing it that way to Iggy too, "we Invested in you, you owe it to us to stay".
Here we go...
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #72
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just like the Flames won with Lanny when he was well past his prime, the Flames can win with Iginla as he is in decline. The problem between those two is that the Flames had a lot of talent to take over the load when Lanny was declining, whereas today the talent is lacking in comparison to that of 1989. To do so now would take a lot of change.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #73
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
You think they're spending to the cap max (Hudler, Wideman, etc) is for anything else then win now? The mandate is the same... win now, for sure.
Well that is just downright scary. But I guess it highly depends on what "win now" means to K. King. To me that means the holy grail marching down 9th avenue, maybe to him it means winning a playoff round.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #74
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You think they're spending to the cap max (Hudler, Wideman, etc) is for anything else then win now? The mandate is the same... win now, for sure. Their actions show it, their words show it... 2nd round pick for Cammalleri, bring in Ramo too so if (?) Kiprusoff retires next year, there is a goaltender still there to "win now" ... even if Iginla is gone, I bet its still "win now" ...

Honestly I am okay with that but what I am not okay with is not trying to get younger even if it means trading Iggy, Kipper, Bouw etc for futures. The mandate should always be win now nothing would be worse than getting a losing culture like Edmonton has. They sold the fans and team that they are rebuilding and expect to suck for a while. That cutlure is embedded in the veterans, and passing down to the kids.

I would be happy if the Flames did a massive sell job on their veterans this year putting Iggy, Cammy, Bouw, Kipper, and maybe even Tangs and Gio on the market. Recoup first rounders, NHL ready prospects, and young players. They can enter the draft with tons of cap space, a top 5 pick, and tons of movable assets. Teams will be buying out overpaid stars, and other teams will be shedding big money and if the Flames have the assets to make some moves they can re-tool quickly and be back in the mix next year with a stud prospect added to their stable
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #75
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Well that is just downright scary. But I guess it highly depends on what "win now" means to K. King. To me that means the holy grail marching down 9th avenue, maybe to him it means winning a playoff round.
I think in KK/owners eyes, "just make the playoffs and anything can happen"
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #76
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Just like the Flames won with Lanny when he was well past his prime, the Flames can win with Iginla as he is in decline. The problem between those two is that the Flames had a lot of talent to take over the load when Lanny was declining, whereas today the talent is lacking in comparison to that of 1989. To do so now would take a lot of change.
It's not impossible, but isn't the goal to win a cup NOT win a cup with Iginla on the team? It's the Calgary Flames not the Calgary Iginlas.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #77
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
it's deserved
Tend to agree with you. Just incredible how significantly it has changed. There was a time that he was held up as the best Team President in the league, a great businessman and respected Calgarian. Now it seems the opinion of him is a useless figurehead, doesn't get results, and frankly doesn't care for results either. Just wants a sold out building, still trying to ride the high from one playoff run a decade ago.

And I have to admit, the way they have mismanaged assets under his tutelage the last 3 seasons when the ship started sinking, has proven time and again that the latter is true.

Perhaps it is KK who needs to move on before this franchise will turn around
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #78
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think in KK/owners eyes, "just make the playoffs and anything can happen"
Did they happen to notice we can't seem to get into the playoffs?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #79
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Understatement of the year. The two clubs are not even in the same universe in terms of talent.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #80
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
It's not impossible, but isn't the goal to win a cup NOT win a cup with Iginla on the team? It's the Calgary Flames not the Calgary Iginlas.
You'll have to ask the ownership for clarification on that, as it appears that their goal is to win a cup with Iginla on the team... or at least have Iginla on the team.

I was pointing out that it can be done with Iginla on the team, I also noted that it was going to require change, what I didn't specify was that the change required is not likely to happen, due to the magnitude required, and the recent history of the team.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote