Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #41
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I would caution everyone not to over-react without knowing what specifically he said or how he said. Tone and specific words mean a lot.
Yeah, just looking at the words pisses me off ... but the OP did say "to paraphrase". It's too bad this was a speaking engagement and not an interview that we could listen to.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #42
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sick of everyone wanting to trade Iginla.

The trade off is not worth it. I do not think the market is very hot for him. He's certainly not fetching a proven young player from a cup contender who will make a big immediate impact.

Iginla would get the Flames a good prospect on the cusp of making it to the NHL (Olli Maata type), a veteran 2nd/3rd liner to temporarily fill the Iginla void (Pascal Dupuis), and a late 1st round pick. That's not worth it in my eyes.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #43
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
How did my name come up on the Quote you are comenting on?
Fixed, don't know what happened there.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #44
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
If this thread blows up enough I wouldn't be shocked to see King address The media or 960 in the not too distant future. You know he or people that work for him check these forums to get gauge the overall temperature of the fanbase

If that's true , then i have this to say to KK:

TRADE IGGY!!!! Team needs new direction, fans will still show up to the dome, and Iggy's legacy will not be tarnished if he is traded.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I'm sick of everyone wanting to trade Iginla.

The trade off is not worth it. I do not think the market is very hot for him. He's certainly not fetching a proven young player from a cup contender who will make a big immediate impact.

Iginla would get the Flames a good prospect on the cusp of making it to the NHL (Olli Maata type), a veteran 2nd/3rd liner to temporarily fill the Iginla void (Pascal Dupuis), and a late 1st round pick. That's not worth it in my eyes.

How is that not worth it? Iggy is going to be a third line player in 2-3 years. Even the 2nd line player in your deal will help the flames win more games than Iggy will at that point.

I guess i could say that i am sick of posters wanting to keep Iggy for sentimental reasons.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #46
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, just looking at the words pisses me off ... but the OP did say "to paraphrase". It's too bad this was a speaking engagement and not an interview that we could listen to.
It's also important to keep in mind that even if the plan was to trade Iginla, Ken King would/could never indicate as much, and would still indicate that Iginla is our guy, and we always want him to be here. They will say this right up until the day (if) he is ever traded. And quite frankly you'd have to be more concerned if Ken was making remarks about how we have to get maximum value for our assets - you just don't say that until after the fact.

My opinion however is that Iginla has a long term 20+ year path with the flames that goes long beyond his playing days, and both he and the club will continue the relationship, and he will re-sign with the team.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #47
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Does anyone else feel like this team is approaching some kind of Bill Wurtz Blackhawks level in regards to managing the team?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #48
clancy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
How is that not worth it? Iggy is going to be a third line player in 2-3 years. Even the 2nd line player in your deal will help the flames win more games than Iggy will at that point.

I guess i could say that i am sick of posters wanting to keep Iggy for sentimental reasons.
In addition to Kyuss points above, pretty clear that a change in leadership is required within the room.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #49
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Thought i'd pass along some highlights from a speaking engagement with Ken King (this is all paraphrased so I hope it's reflects what he said well):

On Iginla: Paraphrased "We didn't invest 80 Million dollars in Iginla to send him off to another team to win there", He also mentioned that they don't owe it to Iginla to have him go win somewhere else, he should be here to help us win. Would like to see Iginla be a first ballot hall of famer (and I think the inference was that he play his entire career here).

I don't think he could really say anything else, but he did make it a point of addressing it. I'm sure they could change their mind, but it sounds like the plan is to stick with #12 til the end. I always expected this, as I don't think winning the cup is the most important thing for Iginla.
That's a bit frustrating to read.

This team is Iginla's for as long as he is on it. It will be really hard for any other player to step up into a leadership role with him still here. We've already seen this season, and in the past few seasons, that Iginla just doesn't get up to play every single game, or even the majority of games. Whether this is due to age, or other factors, it's not only reflected in his play but also how the whole team plays.

There's no doubt what Iginla means to the city, and that rafter space is already reserved for his jersey. This isn't going to change whether he spends his entire career as a Flame or goes elsewhere for the remainder of his career. It's bizzaro thinking that it's better to hold onto a declining asset until there is no value left as oppose to getting a return that will help the team move forward in the long run.

Management and Ownership really need to think about the Flames post-Iginla, because right now I don't see a plan in place (our prospects are nice but nothing proven) and it's a bit scary.

Last edited by atb; 02-20-2013 at 03:29 PM.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #50
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Does anyone else feel like this team is approaching some kind of Bill Wurtz Blackhawks level in regards to managing the team?
Yeah, that's a good way of putting it.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #51
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Premium return for Iginla, that ship sailed 2-3 years ago. It's more about changing the culture of the team. I guess K. King has a very different idea of Iggy's worth and role with the Flames versus myself. I don't primarily look at him with $$$$ in my eyes, or how many season tickets he will sell with his face on the brochures of the new arena.

I understand that's his job, but you are going to sell more season tickets to a winning team versus desperately clinging to what you consider an investment that has not paid off to your liking.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #52
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
It's also important to keep in mind that even if the plan was to trade Iginla, Ken King would/could never indicate as much, and would still indicate that Iginla is our guy, and we always want him to be here. They will say this right up until the day (if) he is ever traded. And quite frankly you'd have to be more concerned if Ken was making remarks about how we have to get maximum value for our assets - you just don't say that until after the fact.

My opinion however is that Iginla has a long term 20+ year path with the flames that goes long beyond his playing days, and both he and the club will continue the relationship, and he will re-sign with the team.
Well if the intent was to publicly put up a front, he likely would have chosen less aggressive wording.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #53
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

amazing how Ken King's reputation around here has changed in recent years...
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #54
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
You can suggest all the meddling you want with the Flames owners, but I don't think it's fair at all to suggest they're cheap. They've repeatedly shown they'll spend what it takes, misguided or not.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #55
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I'm sure the message wasn't meant to be delivered as harsh as it was, it doesn't surprise me the least bit (nor should it surprise anyone at all) that KK and the Flames have no plans to trade Iginla, and they want to win a cup with Iginla.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #56
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
They've repeatedly shown they'll spend what it takes, misguided or not.
This. "Dollar Bill" Wirtz was a cheap as possible to the point of lunacy. Can't say that about King and company.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #57
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
I don't think you understand business. Iginla is an investment. He has invested $80 million dollars for Iginla to help lead Calgary to a championship. Winning or not, Iginla is an investment.
And that $80 million dollars is gone - it's a sunk cost. Whatever we've invested in Iginla in the past should be irrelevant to whether or not he stays a Flame moving forwards. It's economics 101. Continuing to pump money at the issue when he's clearly not going to win a cup here just compounds the problem.

By the time we're at in the conversation for winning a Cup Iginla is either retired or ineffective so at what point do you pull the plug on the investment and get whatever assets you can in exchange before it loses all value?

A statement like this reminds me of a prideful captain going down with a sinking ship.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #58
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
...and they want to win a cup with Iginla.
They don't actually believe they can at this point, do they?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #59
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does King really pay attention to the games I wonder? Maybe they still think Iggy is making a difference out there. I know Feaster would never suggest otherwise, he seems like a yes man to me compared to Daryl.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #60
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
In addition to Kyuss points above, pretty clear that a change in leadership is required within the room.
Especially if these kind of rumors are true:

Iginla mostly wants to play with his friends.

Potential Flames trades are run by Iginla for approval.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote