Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Notes: Ken King (Iginla, New Building)

Thought i'd pass along some highlights from a speaking engagement with Ken King (this is all paraphrased so I hope it's reflects what he said well):

On Iginla: Paraphrased "We didn't invest 80 Million dollars in Iginla to send him off to another team to win there", He also mentioned that they don't owe it to Iginla to have him go win somewhere else [Edit: The tone here seemed directed at fan sentiment, and not anything about dealings between the club and Iginla], he should be here to help us win. Would like to see Iginla be a first ballot hall of famer (and I think the inference was that he play his entire career here).

I don't think he could really say anything else, but he did make it a point of addressing it. I'm sure they could change their mind, but it sounds like the plan is to stick with #12 til the end. I always expected this, as I don't think winning the cup is the most important thing for Iginla.

On New Building: Not a lot here, except that they don't expect to be making any kind of announcement until late fall or beginning of 2014. He did mention that they have been working with the oilers for 4 years, and purposely wanted them to go first for a variety of reasons (that he didn't mention). He said the new facility will be much more than a multi-purpose rink, be the most trans-formative thing the city has seen in 40 years, and has to make the city a better place (or why bother doing it). Suggested the Facility is more for Calgary than just a new rink for the team. He also said they have 4 potential locations, and they think it should be an urban facility.

On Kiprusoff Paraprased: "We notoriously lie about injuries so that coaches can't coach against us, and on the flip side for the potential element of surprise (if a player happens to return early)" Basically no estimate on the injury can ever be taken at face value. He did however qualify that since Kiprosoff is so naturally flexible it made the initial diagnoses harder to make, because all his joints are so loose anyways.

Last edited by Ace; 02-20-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 75 Users Say Thank You to Ace For This Useful Post:
atb, Badgers Nose, BigDogg, BigT112, calgaryred, Canada 02, Captain Hair, cgy2london, chalms04, CofR, corporatejay, cral12, DazzlinDino, Dion, Displaced Flames fan, Domoic, DownhillGoat, drewboy12, DuckmanX, East Coast Flame, EYE_Overstand, Fire in the disco, Flamboyant 14, flamesfever, Flash Walken, Flickered Flame, Freeway, gargamel, getbak, GoFlamesGo89, Gondi Stylez, GreenHardHat, handgroen, HELPNEEDED, Iceman90, Itse, Iveman, Jarome, jayswin, Jbo, Joborule, Johnny Rotten, ken0042, killer_carlson, kyuss275, Lanny'sDaMan, Lil Pedro, mac_82, Miniac, MolsonInBothHands, MrMike, Mustache, Nehkara, neo45, OBCT, oxygen, Phaneufenstein, Phanuthier, Pierre "Monster" McGuire, rayne008, Rubicant, smalltownref, squiggs96, StAlbertFlame, Stealth22, sun, the2bears, the_only_turek_fan, Thor, troutman, united, vilzeh, Vinny01, Yrebmi, zamler
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for the info.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

they think it should be an urban facility

Hip-hop or Hipster?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
On Iginla: Paraphrased "We didn't invest 80 Million dollars in Iginla to send him off to another team to win there", He also mentioned that they don't owe it to Iginla to have him go win somewhere else, he should be here to help us win.
I'd like to know exactly how he said that, because that sounds really dickish. Completely putting the onus on Iginla if a move happens.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good god. Really sounds like it is up to Iggy to ask for a trade. Just stupid.

As for Kipper, my guess is that he is going to be out longer than they said.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Paraphrased "We didn't invest 80 Million dollars in Iginla to send him off to another team to win there", He also mentioned that they don't owe it to Iginla to have him go win somewhere else, he should be here to help us win. Would like to see Iginla be a first ballot hall of famer (and I think the inference was that he play his entire career here).

This should be fun to watch the responses and hyperbole from...
Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So basically on the Iginla front, expect the status quo. On the building front, it's the same song and dance we've been hearing for the last 10 years or so. On the Kipper front, all he's saying is "he's injured and we don't know when he's coming back".

Man I'm so sick of Ken King's s***
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This should be fun to watch the responses and hyperbole from...
Are you one of those guys with a police band radio that rushes out to crime scenes and big accidents?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Told you guys its all up to Iggy. Ownership is just happy with assess in seats they don't really care about being a contender.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Too bad about Iginla, I would be viewing him as "we invested 80 million dollars in him and now we want to get a return. We thought the return might be a Cup, but now we know better", but I suppose he cannot say that in public. As a Flames fan it will be like an early Christmas this year if the move Iginla at the deadline.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'd like to know exactly how he said that, because that sounds really dickish. Completely putting the onus on Iginla if a move happens.
The tone was, in response to the fan sentiment that we owe it to Iginla for him to go win a cup somewhere else. Certainly not about any dealings between the club and Iginla.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Weird comments on Iginla. You'd think the organization would want to be a bit more nuanced on their statements.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Bar-Down
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have no problem with Iggy staying here for his career as his return is just going to be worse and worse and with only 1 goal this year he will be even less desireable.

However, if he does stay I expect him to take a significiant hometown discount this summer to stay here. If he isn't going to be traded to help the team, he must become a good value contract and leave room in the cap for other players to help the team that way.

Will he sign for around 4.5mill? I dunno, but I sure hope he would...

Also, the new arena has to be kept in the downtown area and it does sound pretty cool about making it more than just a hockey rink and more for the city as a whole. Excited to hear the plans when they finally are able to release them.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Told you guys its all up to Iggy. Ownership is just happy with assess in seats they don't really care about being a contender.

I really disagree with this line of thinking. The owners are not spending to the cap to have a team that sucks. I think they have given GMs of the Flames (Sutter / Feaster) the means to ice a competitive team.

The issues has been more a managment problem, then an ownership one. (drafting, spending)

Of course any ownership is going to be happy that the seats are filled, but I don't think trading Iginla has one thing to do with it.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh, no Ken, you didn't "invest" $80 Million dollars into Iginla. You simply agreed to pay him what you and his agent agreed was market value to have him playing on your team each of the last 16 seasons. My employer isn't "investing" in me when I get my paycheque every week, they're simply paying me what I'm owed based upon our contract, just like the Flames have been doing with Iggy (and ever other player ever on the roster). What a bizarre comment...like Iginla owes the Flames something for allowing him to play here? lol

Unless Ken King has arranged $80 million dollars in hockey camps and power skating courses for Iginla over the last 15 years he (or his employers) hasn't "invested" any money into Iginla.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kipperfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Torch
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We have all heard the rumours that Iggy was untouchable, now we know. Untill they change the face of the team we will be stuck in the spot we are now.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
I really disagree with this line of thinking. The owners are not spending to the cap to have a team that sucks. I think they have given GMs of the Flames (Sutter / Feaster) the means to ice a competitive team.

The issues has been more a managment problem, then an ownership one. (drafting, spending)

Of course any ownership is going to be happy that the seats are filled, but I don't think trading Iginla has one thing to do with it.
I think its pretty accepted that getting a return for Iginla would at least give the Flames a better chance at preparing for the future. letting assets erode to 0 worth is bad asset management (via ownership not letting management deal our aging assets). Unless of course you have a stacked team and can afford to hold onto your vets which we don't. We need to get value for what we have at this point. Putting all our eggs just in the draft still seems a bit foolhardy when we can mix in prospects further along in development via trades. This is on ownership.

Last edited by Psytic; 02-20-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
Uh, no Ken, you didn't "invest" $80 Million dollars into Iginla. You simply agreed to pay him what you and his agent agreed was market value to have him playing on your team each of the last 16 seasons. My employer isn't "investing" in me when I get my paycheque every week, they're simply paying me what I'm owed based upon our contract, just like the Flames have been doing with Iggy (and ever other player ever on the roster). What a bizarre comment...like Iginla owes the Flames something for allowing him to play here? lol

Unless Ken King has arranged $80 million dollars in hockey camps and power skating courses for Iginla over the last 15 years he (or his employers) hasn't "invested" any money into Iginla.
I don't think you understand business. Iginla is an investment. He has invested $80 million dollars for Iginla to help lead Calgary to a championship. Winning or not, Iginla is an investment.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #19
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

We are so screwed.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trojan97 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Are you one of those guys with a police band radio that rushes out to crime scenes and big accidents?
Uhhh....no.

Are you?