Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #61
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I'd be fine with Klein as a number 5, which is what we lacked after we acquired stone (Engelland is more of a number 6, Bart and wides number 7's)
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #62
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there any team more reluctant to play their in house defenseman? It's like 'well you came up for a few games and weren't top 4 material, enjoy your time in the AHL.'
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #63
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I'd be okay with Raanta. I'd hedge it though by going the tandem route until a true starter emerged.

I know, been there, done that.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #64
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Calgary Flames would be making a big mistake trading Gillies. He is a 6'5" goalie with agility and talent. The Rangers would win this trade in one or two years. Calgary has only played Gillies one game and he looked good in that one game.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #65
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames do trade Gillies, I think it would make more sense to wait a year.

Parsons should be the starter in the ECHL for a year.

For the mean time, I think a Gillies/Rittich tandem (with some time in the NHL) works.
However, once Parsons moves up, the Heat will have a crowded crease.
Hopefully one of Gillies/Rittich could at least be a regular NHL backup by then though.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #66
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a sneaky feeling that rittich has more chance of making it that gillies. Then again, I know nothing.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #67
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gillies needs to work on his rebound control. Whether it's in the NHL as a backup or in the AHL as the starter. He didnt look ready to be part of a 1a/1b tandem last year.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #68
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Gillies needs to work on his rebound control. Whether it's in the NHL as a backup or in the AHL as the starter. He didnt look ready to be part of a 1a/1b tandem last year.
But I would fathom a guess that he is really close if not ready for a true backup spot in the NHL. Depending on how he comes out in Training camp.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #69
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

If the Rangers can't get one of those forwards signed, does Shinkaruk and a 3rd get it done for Raanta
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #70
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
I have a sneaky feeling that rittich has more chance of making it that gillies. Then again, I know nothing.
I liked Gillies a lot in his one game. Rittich had only a period, so unfair to judge him on it (it was a bit underwhelming).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #71
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
If the Rangers can't get one of those forwards signed, does Shinkaruk and a 3rd get it done for Raanta
Shinkaruk doesn't meet the exposure requirements either, so he wouldn't solve any problems for the Rangers.

If the Rangers can't sign one of their own guys and want to ensure they can protect one of Hayes or Grabner, they'd have to take back either Stajan, Bouma, or Brouwer to get a player who meets the exposure requirement.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:23 PM   #72
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Is there any team more reluctant to play their in house defenseman? It's like 'well you came up for a few games and weren't top 4 material, enjoy your time in the AHL.'
3rd RD spot is Rasmus' to lose
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #73
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
3rd RD spot is Rasmus' to lose
A little early to say that, isn't it? We have no idea who the Flames defensemen will be next year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #74
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kulak, Rasmus, Wotherspoon and Kylington are going to have to all suck horribly next camp for two of them not to be on the opening night roster IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #75
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I am just hoping that Andersson shows up to camp in shape for once.

Hopefully all the progress he made this season won't be undercut by lack of conditioning when he isn't directly under the eye of the Flames in the offseason.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #76
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is a good chance only one of them will make it, and that the Flames are going to be looking at adding a veteran for the 5th spot (with the best out of Kulak, Wotherspoon, etc., getting the 6th).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #77
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hoping Stone re-signs for a friendly amount and we see:

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone
[Veteran] - Andersson
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #78
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017/...to-flames-jets

Quote:
However, if Raanta is moved for an imported forward exposure satisfier, the team would need to tender a qualifying offer and subsequently expose Mackenzie Skapski. That is, the goaltending exposure quota is the least strict, where an RFA goalie can be eligibly exposed without having a contract, but must have been qualified prior to Vegas exposure.
Got me thinking, what about something like

To CGY: 21st Overall (1st) + Antti Raanta
To NYR: 16th Overall (1st) + Lance Bouma + Shinkaruk/Wotherspoon/Poirier level prospect

Rangers move up a bit in the draft, solve their exposure problem in the easiest way possible for a contract with only 1 year left in Bouma, and they get a decent prospect for a weak prospect pool that they don't have to protect.

Flames lose one of their mid-level prospects and drop 5 spots but gain a potential starting goalie, keep current goalie prospect depth in tact, and clear out Bouma's contract.

Last edited by Groot; 06-13-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #79
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017/...to-flames-jets

Got me thinking, what about something like

To CGY: 21st Overall (1st) + Antti Raanta
To NYR: 16th Overall (1st) + Lance Bouma + Shinkaruk/Wotherspoon/Poirier level prospect

Rangers move up a bit in the draft, solve their exposure problem in the easiest way possible for a contract with only 1 year left in Bouma, and they get a decent prospect for a weak prospect pool that they don't have to protect.

Flames lose one of their mid-level prospects and drop 5 spots but gain a potential starting goalie, keep current goalie prospect depth in tact, and clear out Bouma's contract.
I don't think NYR want to loose Raanta, and take a salary dump and a useless prospect to move up 5 picks in a terrible draft The prospects you mention are not decent, but playing in Europe soon type players!

Last edited by Jason14h; 06-13-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 AM   #80
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They risk losing Raanta to Vegas anyway for nothing, Bouma isn't just a camp dump but allows them to meet the exposure requirements easily which they have a very short time to do or face penalties, and maybe up the quality of the prospect going their way, maybe, it's a value add since you're already giving up draft position and a prospect to help Rangers meet exposure requirements and get any sort of return on Raanta.

It was just a thought anyway, just seems the Rangers may benefit more from a forward they can expose and a prospect they don't have to protect.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote