Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #161
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, just happening to reduce or remove gluten while also completely overhauling your diet, and then claiming you had a gluten sensitivity seems kinda silly.
What are you referring to?
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #162
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm referring to someone who completely overhauls their diet, cutting out a ton of processed foods, and then puts the blame on gluten when they feel better after the change.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #163
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Again, you act like a complete jerk. You could have said, sorry, I meant that sarcastically, but no, you have to imply I am a complete moron.

You continually try to defend your rude behaviour by tossing it off as others misunderstanding you or merely implying, that is how I am, read that into my posts.

In your own words "I might just be a complete jerk" and "I might be politeness-sensitive".

You can get help for that.

Why get help for it?
I like me!

Seriously man, let it go and relax. This is not the hill you want to be dying on. I know I'm a jerk, I get it, I'm a jerk because I'm generally just blunt and condescending and I get carried away with it, I KNOW that. You've made three posts stating that I'm "a complete jerk," don't worry, I get it, I have the ability to understand the English language on the first try. Native speaker and all that. Call it a gift!

Is that a no to best friends then? Because I'm still open to the idea. I give great hugs, with only a little bit of bum touching.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #164
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
What are you referring to?
Did a general practitioner do your gluten test or a naturopath?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #165
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I still want to know what happened between you and Mr. Yamato, sad when a friendship falls apart

Maybe that's why I'm desperate for a new best friend. I've got nobody to love. Nobody to thank my post. Nobody to run through a meadow with.

I'm so alone
Old 05-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #166
CSS
Draft Pick

Quote:
Like you, I'm sensitive to the issue because my little brother is celiac, and I've actually witnessed the pain and discomfort it causes, along with the reality that he is more likely to die because of complications related to his disease. It's great eating gluten free if you want to or if it makes you feel better, but as soon as you spread things that encourage fad dieting and diminish actual diagnosable conditions, that's where I take issue. It's just pseudoscience.
I had to re-read these to be sure I only posted facts.
Not once did CUPOFJO make any claims to fad dieting or the promotion of fad dieting.

YOU made that assumption then chose to jump down his throat. Even after he explained his, and only his experience, you still chose to falsely accuse him to promote your case.

I’m calling out that disrespectful and ignorant behaviour.

I feel for your younger brother. That is a terrible strain on him and your family. I have friends with young Celiacs and have witnessed the challenges parent and child struggle with daily. A parent’s hell is hospitalizing their 5-year-old for stealing cake at a friend’s house because he doesn’t understand why he is different from the other kids and just wanted to know what cake tasted like.

I too hate the gluten-free diet fad. I despise seeing gluten-free donuts as a food choice. It’s ridiculous! Give it a year, and the diet fad will move on to the next big thing, but those suffering from gluten intolerance will still be here.

There are too many documented and published medical findings on both sides of the gluten-free debate. Both sides claim victory. We may have to wait for the ink to dry and a few more years’ worth of studies to get the end results.
CSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #167
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Maybe that's why I'm desperate for a new best friend. I've got nobody to love. Nobody to thank my post. Nobody to run through a meadow with.

I'm so alone

Were you being a jerk to him?
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #168
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You really know how to push peoples buttons huh strombad? The schtick does get a little tiresome though.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #169
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm referring to someone who completely overhauls their diet, cutting out a ton of processed foods, and then puts the blame on gluten when they feel better after the change.
Totally agree.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #170
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
did a general practitioner do your gluten test or a naturopath?
gp
Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #171
maverickstruth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You assume that everyone who feels better ate a lot of processed foods and did a complete diet overhaul, and then decided that it was gluten that was the culprit.

Granted, there are likely a large proportion of people who fit that bill.

But what about those who don't eat a ton of processed foods - they eat a clean, whole-foods-based diet - who see improvement when they eliminate gluten-based foods (not just wheat, but barley, etc. as well)?

You seem to be suggesting that it's all or nothing: that you either eat processed foods, or you eat gluten free. That, of course, is nonsense. Many gluten free eaters eat more poorly on a GF diet than they did before going gluten-free.

But on the flip side, there are those who decide to cut out the one piece of toast they were eating in the morning, or the sandwich bun that they made their lunch with ... and notice that they are less fatigued, think more clearly, have less digestive issues upon doing so. They go back on a holiday and have a small serving of stuffing and those issues recur - they don't start eating entirely different, they just add in one small thing.

Could it be psychosomatic? Sure.

Could it be gluten sensitivity? Sure.

Could it be undiagnosed Celiac? Sure.

We simply don't know enough to say one way or another, definitively, at this point. That's the entire point that the most recent study was trying to make.
maverickstruth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maverickstruth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #172
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSS View Post
I had to re-read these to be sure I only posted facts.

Not once did CUPOFJO make any claims to fad dieting or the promotion of fad dieting.

YOU made that assumption then chose to jump down his throat. Even after he explained his, and only his experience, you still chose to falsely accuse him to promote your case.

I’m calling out that disrespectful and ignorant behaviour.

The link he posted did, as in my opinion the author is not properly educated on the subject and did not treat it with the levity that it truly deserves.

My fault was likely responding to both cup and the article without any proper distinction between the two. I really have no problem with cup or his story, but I don't like the article because I think it's careless.

So I DO apologise for that not being abundantly clear. As I said a couple posts back, I get a little carried away, it's just my "schtick".
Old 05-28-2014, 11:48 AM   #173
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickstruth View Post
You assume that everyone who feels better ate a lot of processed foods and did a complete diet overhaul, and then decided that it was gluten that was the culprit.

Granted, there are likely a large proportion of people who fit that bill.

But what about those who don't eat a ton of processed foods - they eat a clean, whole-foods-based diet - who see improvement when they eliminate gluten-based foods (not just wheat, but barley, etc. as well)?

You seem to be suggesting that it's all or nothing: that you either eat processed foods, or you eat gluten free. That, of course, is nonsense. Many gluten free eaters eat more poorly on a GF diet than they did before going gluten-free.

But on the flip side, there are those who decide to cut out the one piece of toast they were eating in the morning, or the sandwich bun that they made their lunch with ... and notice that they are less fatigued, think more clearly, have less digestive issues upon doing so. They go back on a holiday and have a small serving of stuffing and those issues recur - they don't start eating entirely different, they just add in one small thing.

Could it be psychosomatic? Sure.

Could it be gluten sensitivity? Sure.

Could it be undiagnosed Celiac? Sure.

We simply don't know enough to say one way or another, definitively, at this point. That's the entire point that the most recent study was trying to make.
I'm not suggesting there's no such thing as gluten sensitivity. I'm suggesting it doesn't exist even close to the scale we're seeing it at during this trend.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #174
maverickstruth
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not suggesting there's no such thing as gluten sensitivity. I'm suggesting it doesn't exist even close to the scale we're seeing it at during this trend.
Ah, gotcha. In which case, I'm 100% with you.

(Sorry, it's hard to keep track of who is firmly in which camp, sometimes! The posts, they all start to blur together...)
maverickstruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #175
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Again, you act like a complete jerk. You could have said, sorry, I meant that sarcastically, but no, you have to imply I am a complete moron.

You continually try to defend your rude behaviour by tossing it off as others misunderstanding you or merely implying, that is how I am, read that into my posts.

In your own words "I might just be a complete jerk" and "I might be politeness-sensitive".

You can get help for that.
Naomi Lakritz wrote a good article in Herald a few months ago about people acting like complete jerks on Internet forums. She referenced a study paper on this subject that calls such behaviour "micro-aggression", or in other words, people getting angry and rude over insignificant little things posted by others, something that would never happen in a normal conversation. She was writing mainly about modern intolerance to a difference of opinion. For some weird reasons, those who cannot tolerate a difference of opinion are very much attracted to Internet forums.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #176
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainyooh View Post
naomi lakritz wrote a good article in herald a few months ago about people acting like complete jerks on internet forums. She referenced a study paper on this subject that calls such behaviour "micro-aggression", or in other words, people getting angry and rude over insignificant little things posted by others, something that would never happen in a normal conversation. She was writing mainly about modern intolerance to a difference of opinion. For some weird reasons, those who cannot tolerate a difference of opinion are very much attracted to internet forums.
why don't you shut your face captainyooh!?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #177
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Were you being a jerk to him?

I blame you. He's so shy and you scared him off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
You really know how to push peoples buttons huh strombad? The schtick does get a little tiresome though.

The worst part is that I do it purposely effectively enough that it just constantly happens accidentally.

Trust me, even I get tired of my schtick sometimes. I'm not even a bad dude, I just can't help myself sometimes.

At very least I've probably gotten BETTER since I joined. I haven't even had an infraction in months! So we can only go up from here!
Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #178
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Naomi Lakritz wrote a good article in Herald a few months ago about people acting like complete jerks on Internet forums. She referenced a study paper on this subject that calls such behaviour "micro-aggression", or in other words, people getting angry and rude over insignificant little things posted by others, something that would never happen in a normal conversation. She was writing mainly about modern intolerance to a difference of opinion. For some weird reasons, those who cannot tolerate a difference of opinion are very much attracted to Internet forums.
That is why encourage CP posters to come out and meet other CP posters at events. When you get to know the real people, the discussion becomes more civil.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #179
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
why don't you shut your face captainyooh!?
Watch it, buddy. I draw my tolerance line at misspelling my forum nickname!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That is why encourage CP posters to come out and meet other CP posters at events. When you get to know the real people, the discussion becomes more civil.
One day, one day...

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 05-28-2014 at 12:03 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #180
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Civil yes, but I find that anonymity can provide a dose of honest opinion that is usually filtered away when two or more people know each other personally.

This thread is a prime example. In a work, social, or family setting it's not polite or worth the social cost of questioning 'gluten sensitivity' even if there's very good reason to believe it's self-diagnosed (like half of the office requesting gluten-free meals). Which is why you won't witness an honest conversation about it in those settings.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post: