Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #81
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Why does anyone care if somebody says they have a gluten intolerance? And why is everyone so up in arms over the abundance of available gluten free food?
Two recent examples. The first- because we have a couple of people here at work who are "gluten intolerant"; when it's somebody's birthday we are all subjected to the same gluten free cake. Which tastes terrible. And ironically enough; the one lady who is actually celiac (diagnosed by a doctor) has actually told the rest of us not to change what we order to suit her needs.

The next, my teenage son has a perspective girlfriend who is "gluten intolerant." Her birthday had just passed, and he asked me if I could pick up a GF cake. I did, we paid double what I could have bought a similar cake for at a grocery store, and half of it went into the garbage because nobody liked it.

I've worked with all sorts of people with legitimate food allergies; as well as people who couldn't eat things due to their beliefs. (Try ordering pizza with Muslim co-workers. ) However when my enjoyment of food is affected by people's bad science; it bothers me.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:59 AM   #82
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Two recent examples. The first- because we have a couple of people here at work who are "gluten intolerant"; when it's somebody's birthday we are all subjected to the same gluten free cake. Which tastes terrible. And ironically enough; the one lady who is actually celiac (diagnosed by a doctor) has actually told the rest of us not to change what we order to suit her needs.

The next, my teenage son has a perspective girlfriend who is "gluten intolerant." Her birthday had just passed, and he asked me if I could pick up a GF cake. I did, we paid double what I could have bought a similar cake for at a grocery store, and half of it went into the garbage because nobody liked it.

I've worked with all sorts of people with legitimate food allergies; as well as people who couldn't eat things due to their beliefs. (Try ordering pizza with Muslim co-workers. ) However when my enjoyment of food is affected by people's bad science; it bothers me.
We have a celiac in our office and six others that don't eat gluten due to gluten intolerance and we just order 2 cakes for celebrations. One small gluten free dessert and then something for the rest of us. Also, we've gotten crave cupcakes and they sell gluten free stuff as well. Works pretty good.

But yeah, choosing a place to eat is a big hassle sometimes. But not just because of the gluten free people. Out of 60 people in our department we have 7 that don't eat gluten, 5 that don't eat dairy, 4 that can't eat pork, 3 that don't eat red meat and 1 that can't eat nuts. Try ordering some catering for that group.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #83
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
That's incredible...

I have celiac disease and while there are some issues that come along with people not taking the disease seriously because it's often viewed as a "fad" I'd argue that the increased exposure has made my life a hell of a lot easier. I can actually feel comfortable going out to a restaurant with friends which is something most people probably take for granted.

I honestly don't care what other people choose to put in their bodies and I am not sure why it seems to bother so many posters in this thread. That being said, I'd never wish this diet on my enemy. I miss beer and good pizza.
This is apparently really good for pizza crust

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/23293...er-pizza-crust
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #84
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a don't rock the boat mentality so when my company does lunches I end up not partaking. I wouldn't want anyone else to have to eat a gluten free cake and I sure don't like any special treatment. It kind of sucks missing out on that kind of thing but that's just the way it is. The only thing that bothers me is when people apologize for eating something I can't have.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #85
FlamesFanInOilCountry
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My wife and her sister are both celiac. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I was suggested to try and stop eating gluten, which I followed. Since my wife was already doing it the transition was much easier for me. I tried to eat gluten on several occasions since my dietary change and the symptoms I suffer are quite awful (to say the least). I consider myself to be gluten intolerant. I get quite annoyed when people question my motives, or question if I even "need it [to eat gluten free]."

I get that the gluten free fad is annoying. As far as my diet goes, I only eat gluten free substitutes as a treat (burger bun, baked goods, pasta etc). Gluten free products are more expensive, contain more calories and much more sugar (not to mention consistency issues). As far as I'm concerned if people want to voluntarily pay more money and eat a less healthy diet (most people that voluntarily eat gluten free are unaware of the sugar and calorie differences and eat the same diet by substituting gluten free products instead) all the power to them. I also worked in the restaurant industry for a long time so I can appreciate how annoying it is to cater to fad dieters, but it is what it is.

The gluten free fad is no different than all the other fad diets that have popped up from time to time (Atkins with Atkins company produced products). I do not expect my coworkers to cater to me, but they do every once in awhile (co-workers going away cake and they brought me a gluten free cupcake). My disorder is not everyone else's emergency.

I guess my point with my rant is that there are clearly a lot of idiots out there that have no idea what they're doing, and are only doing it because it's a fad. However, there are some of us out there that do know what we're doing, and are doing it for a reason, so be careful not to lump us all together.
FlamesFanInOilCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #86
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still remember the day my sister in law told my wife and I that she had 'caught lactose intolerance'. My wife had to push me out of the room before I said something my wife would regret.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #87
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanInOilCountry View Post
My wife and her sister are both celiac. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I was suggested to try and stop eating gluten, which I followed. Since my wife was already doing it the transition was much easier for me. I tried to eat gluten on several occasions since my dietary change and the symptoms I suffer are quite awful (to say the least). I consider myself to be gluten intolerant. I get quite annoyed when people question my motives, or question if I even "need it [to eat gluten free]."

I get that the gluten free fad is annoying. As far as my diet goes, I only eat gluten free substitutes as a treat (burger bun, baked goods, pasta etc). Gluten free products are more expensive, contain more calories and much more sugar (not to mention consistency issues). As far as I'm concerned if people want to voluntarily pay more money and eat a less healthy diet (most people that voluntarily eat gluten free are unaware of the sugar and calorie differences and eat the same diet by substituting gluten free products instead) all the power to them. I also worked in the restaurant industry for a long time so I can appreciate how annoying it is to cater to fad dieters, but it is what it is.

The gluten free fad is no different than all the other fad diets that have popped up from time to time (Atkins with Atkins company produced products). I do not expect my coworkers to cater to me, but they do every once in awhile (co-workers going away cake and they brought me a gluten free cupcake). My disorder is not everyone else's emergency.

I guess my point with my rant is that there are clearly a lot of idiots out there that have no idea what they're doing, and are only doing it because it's a fad. However, there are some of us out there that do know what we're doing, and are doing it for a reason, so be careful not to lump us all together.

Yeah, but you have Crohn's disease.

There's a significant difference in play between you and the people that draw much of the ire. I don't think anyone who doesn't eat gluten in order to avoid genuinely ugly symptoms are even being discussed here. I don't think you have to worry about being lumped in with people that don't have any sort of disease, the whole point is that THEY shouldn't be lumping THEMSELVES in with people like yourself.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #88
FlamesFanInOilCountry
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Yeah, but you have Crohn's disease.

There's a significant difference in play between you and the people that draw much of the ire. I don't think anyone who doesn't eat gluten in order to avoid genuinely ugly symptoms are even being discussed here. I don't think you have to worry about being lumped in with people that don't have any sort of disease, the whole point is that THEY shouldn't be lumping THEMSELVES in with people like yourself.
Yeah, I think you and I are on the same page about this one. I'm annoyed because I do get lumped in with the "others," and you're saying that I shouldn't be.
FlamesFanInOilCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanInOilCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #89
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I hate when pizza is ordered for a big group and the ladies insist on veggie. What is the pizza that always has tonnes of leftovers and what pizza is gone in two seconds?
Yes! Our work does this every F'n time. As a pepperoni lover it's annoying.

"Ooooh, get one with chicken!"

"We need a veggie for sure"

"How about something off the board?"

"and grab one of their specialty pizzas"

Then we always end up with like 5 non pepperoni and one peperoni. And this is how the eating goes every single time.

*5 or 6 people go for 1 slice of each non-pepperoni pizza, and the pepperoni gets emptied in the first grab. It's like everyone just wants those entire other pizzas so they can maybe try one slice if they feel like at some point or if everything else is gone.

As kind of a picky eater (I know that's my own fault) it's so annoying after lunch, having one or two slices of pizza, still being kind of hungry and seeing dozens of pieces of crap pizza that everyone made sure we ordered.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #90
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post

Then we always end up with like 5 non pepperoni and one peperoni. And this is how the eating goes every single time.

*5 or 6 people go for 1 slice of each non-pepperoni pizza, and the pepperoni gets emptied in the first grab. It's like everyone just wants those entire other pizzas so they can maybe try one slice if they feel like at some point or if everything else is gone.

As kind of a picky eater (I know that's my own fault) it's so annoying after lunch, having one or two slices of pizza, still being kind of hungry and seeing dozens of pieces of crap pizza that everyone made sure we ordered.
When people say they want a vegetarian pizza I always convince them to get the Greek pizza. Most are vegetarian.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #91
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
When people say they want a vegetarian pizza I always convince them to get the Greek pizza. Most are vegetarian.

I always convince them to shut their damn mouths.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #92
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post

That must be a universal thing at work. Never fails when they bring in 15-20 pizzas and the pepperoni or deluxe ones are gone within minutes and people late to the party have to settle for vegetarian or some #######ized chicken or taco pizza that are left untouched. Two months later we will have another pizza lunch and it will be exactly the same order like the manager or HR person involved still hasn't realized that only a very small portion of the staff like vegetarian or non-traditional pizza's.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #93
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I still laugh at the Celiac awareness month sign on Crowchild Trail. Like Celiacs are being discriminated against or something. I truly believe that whole awareness campaign is being spearheaded by the anti-gluten retailers.

I remember when all of a sudden being Celiac was the fad disease about 5 years ago. We had one girl in our office that had a legit case of the disease. Not a lot of people knew, about it, but a few of us did, and we always ordered her something that was suitable when lunch came, but she never ran around advertising it. Then all of a sudden the big gluten fad started, and half of the women in our building were Celiac cases, and they would remind you any time there was food around. "Oh that looks delicious, but I can't have it because I am Celiac". And they would disclose it like they had terminal AIDS. It was even funnier when 3 months later, all of a sudden they could all wolf down mounds of Pizza when we had lunch brought in. I would ask them if they got the cure for the Celiac.

The other one that makes me lol is people that tell you they have a Astigmatism, like it is some sort life altering, family destroying, bankrupting condition. Something like 70% of people have one to some varying degree, but once their optometrist tells them they have it, they cannot wait to tell people about their new fangly 'disease'. I truly believe some people really, really, REALLY want some sort of disease.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #94
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That must be a universal thing at work. Never fails when they bring in 15-20 pizzas and the pepperoni or deluxe ones are gone within minutes and people late to the party have to settle for vegetarian or some #######ized chicken or taco pizza that are left untouched. Two months later we will have another pizza lunch and it will be exactly the same order like the manager or HR person involved still hasn't realized that only a very small portion of the staff like vegetarian or non-traditional pizza's.

Hawaiian pizza.................####ing aweful
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #95
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I truly believe some people really, really, REALLY want some sort of disease.
Maybe it's because every time you go to the pharmacist for a new prescription they ask you if you; "do you have any allergies?" You say nope then they say; "No allergies to xx, xx, or xx?". You say nope and they give you that "are you sure?" look. I can't be the only person that feels like a strange conversation at times.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #96
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I don't like that one but I will eat it over vegetarian and some of the odd ones but come to think about it they haven't ordered that one at work for a while which is strange because there's always those annoying Hawaiian pizza people in the group that have to have that.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #97
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Can't stand it either. It seems it's always the women folk in the office that need to have it too and then eat one piece. Why the hell would anyone want pizza with fruit on it? Pineapple? Seriously? You want kiwi and strawberries on that too along with the ham?
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #98
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Can't stand it either. It seems it's always the women folk in the office that need to have it too and then eat one piece. Why the hell would anyone want pizza with fruit on it? Pineapple? Seriously? You want kiwi and strawberries on that too along with the ham?
Pepperoni, bacon and pineapple is the best pizza you can get!

My wife does a lot of cooking and baking for crafties on tv and movie sets. The amount of gluten free request she gets is ridiculous. One of the problems she has is the consistency of the baked goods, sometimes things just don't turn out and she has to toss it out. No rhyme or reason to it it just happens. Gluten free drives her nuts. She makes a gluten free peanut butter cookie that is basically sugar and peanut butter. People love it. Don't think they realize that it probably isn't the healthiest thing for you.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #99
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Pepperoni, bacon and pineapple is the best pizza you can get!

Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #100
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Maybe it's because every time you go to the pharmacist for a new prescription they ask you if you; "do you have any allergies?" You say nope then they say; "No allergies to xx, xx, or xx?". You say nope and they give you that "are you sure?" look. I can't be the only person that feels like a strange conversation at times.
I find that it's because people lie or forget about their allergies. I'll ask them, they'll say no. My partner or a nurse will ask them and they'll spout off a list of ailments and allergies and I end up looking like an idiot. Plus some drug allergies are lethal.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote