Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #561
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
One of the witnesses, I think it was the DNA expert, said that there was some DNA found in the kitchen from an unidentified male. It wasn't linked to Alvin, Douglas, Nathan or the O'Brian's younger boy. They wasn't much discussion or questioning about that DNA and I don't think that the defence asked about it during cross examination.
But wasn't there an estate sale at the Liknes house in the weeks leading up to the murder? It could have been anyone. I wonder how the DNA expert was able to weed out any unknown DNA found at the scene.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #562
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know everything nowadays when the public discusses crimes such as this is DNA DNA DNA!

One thing to keep in mind is no DNA found at the scene does not equal he didn't leave any DNA. Just that if he did they couldn't find it or distinguish it adequately from other sources etc. From what I've seen there is adequate evidence to convict even if you ignore DNA completely.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #563
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
How difficult is it to plant DNA evidence? Anyone have a realistic guess, that doesn't include television examples. Or is the notion of effectively doing this something from a cheap whodunnit novel?
Assuming Garland is guilty, it's fortunate he didnt plant the DNA of at least one other individual behind at the residence.
That might have provided an avenue for reasonable doubt?
For the truck alone, the only DNA they found was when they removed and license plate and disassembled the truck bed. I would think secretly planning DNA in those areas would be pretty hard.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #564
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose the evidence of him being at the house is circumstantial, but there is no doubt they were at his farm and the defence noted that in their closing arguments. So it seems pretty much open and shut. They basically admitted the goings on at the farm, so unless there is some kind of evidence that someone else killed them at the house and decided to just bring them to the farm for him to do what he pleased it should be straight-forward.

And frankly, without a defence case of some kind it does boggle the mind how they would anticipate the jury coming to that kind of conclusion.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #565
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
But wasn't there an estate sale at the Liknes house in the weeks leading up to the murder? It could have been anyone. I wonder how the DNA expert was able to weed out any unknown DNA found at the scene.
If I remember correctly, the estate sale was earlier that day, so there would've been a ton of people coming and going in that house. Did the police ask for people who had been at the house that day to submit DNA so as to eliminate them from the investigation?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #566
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
If I remember correctly, the estate sale was earlier that day, so there would've been a ton of people coming and going in that house. Did the police ask for people who had been at the house that day to submit DNA so as to eliminate them from the investigation?
I don't know if they asked for or collected DNA but I remember the police asking anyone that was at the estate sale to stop by the community centre right after the family went missing. If I remember correctly they had, or expected, about 300 people.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #567
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I suppose the evidence of him being at the house is circumstantial, but there is no doubt they were at his farm and the defence noted that in their closing arguments. So it seems pretty much open and shut. They basically admitted the goings on at the farm, so unless there is some kind of evidence that someone else killed them at the house and decided to just bring them to the farm for him to do what he pleased it should be straight-forward.

And frankly, without a defence case of some kind it does boggle the mind how they would anticipate the jury coming to that kind of conclusion.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the prosecution was also being quite clear that the victims left the house alive so they sort of counter the DNA "problem" (which isn't really a problem) by placing the scene of the deaths to the farm.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #568
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like this is in the hands of the jury right now.

The judge gave some evidence summaries according to the tweets. Reminding them certain facts of the case (for example, 1. that the defense agrees the victims are dead, 2. The images showing the green truck do not show the driver, etc).

Also reminding them that each count must be decided on separately.

Personally, I don't see how you can convict on 1 or 2, and not the third. But let's see how the jury decides. I am hoping for a quick verdict.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #569
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are they allowed to go 2nd degree / Mansalughter for each charge?

If so there could be reasonable doubt that he planned and intended to kill the child or Grandma while still convicting him of 1st degree on the Grampa. But I agree you couldn't get not guilty on one and guilty on the others
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #570
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Looks like this is in the hands of the jury right now.

The judge gave some evidence summaries according to the tweets. Reminding them certain facts of the case (for example, 1. that the defense agrees the victims are dead, 2. The images showing the green truck do not show the driver, etc).

Also reminding them that each count must be decided on separately.

Personally, I don't see how you can convict on 1 or 2, and not the third. But let's see how the jury decides. I am hoping for a quick verdict.
I was a bit surprised with the length of time the judge took giving his instructions. I suppose its normal but I didnt realize he would do another review of the trial in a step by step manner. From reading the tweets it does make sense in that it should make the job of the jury a bit clearer though.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #571
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

If so there could be reasonable doubt that he planned and intended to kill the child or Grandma while still convicting him of 1st degree on the Grampa. But I agree you couldn't get not guilty on one and guilty on the others
Garland was charged with 2nd degree for Obrien's death, so the Crown is already of the opinion that his death was not premediated.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #572
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
"There are four possible verdicts open to you on each count." Guilty of 1st or 2nd degree murder, manslaughter, or not guilty. #Garland

Yes each count (Alvin, Kathy, Nathan) will require a verdict. I could see a possibility that it goes 1st, 1st and 2nd.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #573
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Garland was charged with 2nd degree for Obrien's death, so the Crown is already of the opinion that his death was not premediated.
He was originally charged with second degree but it was upgraded to first degree just like the Grandparents. I believe that is why the Crown was trying to show evidence that the family was not killed in the home. Killing them (or Nathan specifically) outside the home would be premeditated and first degree.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #574
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize that they had 13 jurors and then draw a card to exclude one. At any rate, the jury is now sequestered and will deliberate until 9pm. If no verdict is reached, they begin deliberations again at 9am and continue that schedule until they reach a verdict. Hopefully they make quick work of this and all get to sleep in their own beds this evening.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #575
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

The prosecution contends that they were killed at his farm. If the jury agrees that that is what happened, then first degree is the correct conviction for all three. If Nathan and Kathy were killed at the house, and Alvin taken to the farm for torture, then it would be second degree for the two, and first degree for Alvin.

You can't break into a house to kidnap (and ultimately torture and kill) one person, find three people, and then take all three to another place and then kill them, without it becoming first degree for the other two. If he killed Kathy and Nathan at the house, because they were "in the way" of getting to Alvin, it could be second degree, or possibly manslaughter.

I was surprised when I heard that it was three counts of first degree. Surprised and sickened. I guess I assumed that even the angriest person would be there to kill the man that he blames for a bad business deal. His wife and grandchild, I would have assumed, would be killed on site (only because they happened to be there), and the torture saved for the primary target.

Maybe Kathy was also a target. Maybe his plan was to kill her in front of Alvin, to double up the torture. That might be why he (allegedly) kept her alive, and took her to the farm. Which would mean that Nathan also warrants first degree, because now there were two people to kill in front of Alvin, before Alvin met his end.

This is some of the worst sh*t I've ever had the displeasure of thinking about. I could never be a defense lawyer, or a prosecutor, or a homicide cop.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #576
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kevin Martin ‏@KMartinCourts 10m10 minutes ago
More
Jurors will deliberate until 9 pm tonight and continue at 9 in the morning if they haven't reached a verdict. #Garland
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #577
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some interesting information here about the search and police actions when they were hoping to find attached least Nathan alive. It's pretty chilling and sad though, given that we know the outcome. http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/ful...-in-your-midst
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 06:17 PM   #578
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

i bet the jury is decided tonight with a verdict tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #579
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I didn't realize that they had 13 jurors and then draw a card to exclude one. At any rate, the jury is now sequestered and will deliberate until 9pm. If no verdict is reached, they begin deliberations again at 9am and continue that schedule until they reach a verdict. Hopefully they make quick work of this and all get to sleep in their own beds this evening.
There were originally 14 (2 extras) but one was dismissed earlier, due to a death in his/her family, I believe.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #580
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tley-1.3968039

Discuss.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post: