Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #2501
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we follow the UK, we will almost certainly have even more price cuts to the Xbone instead of price increases (for any reason, currency or otherwise).

http://ht.ly/uFrOW

Xbone + FIFA for £300. Down from the original £430 that had recently been just cut to £400.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #2502
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
If we follow the UK, we will almost certainly have even more price cuts to the Xbone instead of price increases (for any reason, currency or otherwise).

http://ht.ly/uFrOW

Xbone + FIFA for £300. Down from the original £430 that had recently been just cut to £400.
The UK is different, as Microsoft is absolutely getting crushed by Sony everywhere outside of North America
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #2503
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm just baffled that no one remembers games costing more. They did. It's a fact. I don't know how old many of you are but every big new release on consoles pre-2006 was $70. The Gamecube was $199 in the US and $299 in Canada. PS2 was $299 in US and over $400 here. You can't tell me that has nothing to do with the dollar -- when our dollar was at par, game prices were at par. Now that it is falling, game prices are going up.

Even if it's just an excuse to raise the prices and doesn't actually correlate, it's always been the excuse, so it's still the reason.
I am sorry but you're mistaken. You claim that PS2/Xbox launch titles were $59.99 USD but you're wrong. Halo: Combat Evolved was a launch title for the Xbox (November 15, 2001) and it cost $49.99 USD. Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/hal.../1100-6084021/

I paid $60 for that title in Canada on launch day.

$60 USD games are only a relatively recent thing. Here's an article from 2006 discussing a possible price increase in PS3 games (before the system launched).

Quote:
People were understandably upset when companies decided next-generation meant charging everyone $10 more for their games -- especially when the price was applied to last-generation ports like GUN and Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. Nonetheless, most have sucked it up at this point, but no one anticipated Sony would actually up the ante when PlayStation 3 dropped in November.

Yet SCEA president Kaz Hirai isn't promising a $59.99 price tag for PS3 games this fall. In an interview with PSM, the Sony leader explained. So, what I can say now is, I think it would be a bit of a stretch to think that we could suddenly turn around and say "PS3 games now $99.99" I don't think the consumers expect the software pricing to suddenly be double," he told the magazine. "So, if it becomes a bit higher than fifty-nine bucks don't ding me, but, again, as I said, I don't expect it to be a hundred bucks."
Over the past two console generations the price of games has remained the same here in Canada. They did however, increase the price of games in America by $10 last generation. We didn't get any "breaks" because of the strength of our dollar. Perhaps I am wrong, but I'd like to see some proof.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #2504
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.1up.com/news/90s-game-pri...ison-charticle
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #2505
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Over the past two console generations the price of games has remained the same here in Canada. They did however, increase the price of games in America by $10 last generation. We didn't get any "breaks" because of the strength of our dollar. Perhaps I am wrong, but I'd like to see some proof.
Didn't you just prove it yourself?

Maybe I was off in the numbers but I wasn't wrong that our games used to cost $10 more than the US games. Then when they bumped the price in the States (around the time our dollar got strong) we were spared the price bump. Now that our dollar is weakening, we're getting that $10 increase (next-gen games are still 59.99 in the US, and are almost universally 69.99 here now).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #2506
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Didn't you just prove it yourself?

Maybe I was off in the numbers but I wasn't wrong that our games used to cost $10 more than the US games. Then when they bumped the price in the States (around the time our dollar got strong) we were spared the price bump. Now that our dollar is weakening, we're getting that $10 increase (next-gen games are still 59.99 in the US, and are almost universally 69.99 here now).
How so? You said games cost $70 here in Canada in 2001 and I am telling you they were $60. You were trying to say that games here in Canada went from $70 to $60 when in fact they remained $60 for two generations and the cost of games in the States went up from $50 to $60. That's totally different. And if the dollar actually accounted for why games are priced the way they are then that still doesn't explain why the EU and Australia pay such higher prices for games.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #2507
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The UK is different, as Microsoft is absolutely getting crushed by Sony everywhere outside of North America
Not disagreeing very much but North America and UK were the main Microsoft "strongholds" the previous generation (42mil/26mil and 9mil/6mil - 360/PS3 respectively).

It is still sorta close at this stage in both North America 2.3mil/2.6mil and UK is 0.5mil/0.7mil - Xbone/PS4 respectively. But yes, if you take Europe as a whole, they're getting crushed by more than 2 to 1 (or nearly 3 to 1 in countries excluding the UK).

Interesting how numbers have started so far.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #2508
Barbecue
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think Microsoft has anyone to blame but themselves.
Many are pointing to Sony’s successes, but you know what I think the real cause is? It’s because nobody wants to buy the first version console.

For Xbox and Xbox 360, how many versions did each one have to go through before they had a reliable console?

Hearing of all the horror stories of dealing with the “red ring of death” and having to get a new Xbox because the last one broke. It’s previous consoles where gamers have learned and are sitting back and saying “I’ll wait for the next version”. Why do you think 50 CPers have voted “waiting for more info”? I certainly don’t want to shell out $500 for something that’ll only last me 6-12 months
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #2509
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone had an issues with either their Xbox One or PS4 yet? I don't think any of us have?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #2510
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Has anyone had an issues with either their Xbox One or PS4 yet? I don't think any of us have?
I've gone through two PS4s (sold one at launch after deciding to wait it out) and the only problem I've encountered is the joystick on one of my controllers.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #2511
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post
Many are pointing to Sony’s successes, but you know what I think the real cause is? It’s because nobody wants to buy the first version console.

Hearing of all the horror stories of dealing with the “red ring of death” and having to get a new Xbox because the last one broke.
The reliability of the 360 was indeed pretty terrible. But I'm more of the notion that their policies and messaging did more damage than anything else. Nice summary of how things went down "back in the day":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...53&postcount=1

Oh and the $100 extra cost for a substantially weaker console was pretty damaging as well. At least the pricing is starting to come down.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #2512
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

For Xbox and Xbox 360, how many versions did each one have to go through before they had a reliable console?

Hearing of all the horror stories of dealing with the “red ring of death” and having to get a new Xbox because the last one broke. It’s previous consoles where gamers have learned and are sitting back and saying “I’ll wait for the next version”. Why do you think 50 CPers have voted “waiting for more info”? I certainly don’t want to shell out $500 for something that’ll only last me 6-12 months
This might be true. My launch Xbox still works to this day but I've gone through three 360s. I can't speak for everyone that's holding off but I am waiting for the games. There isn't a single compelling game out for either of these systems.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #2513
Barbecue
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This might be true. My launch Xbox still works to this day but I've gone through three 360s. I can't speak for everyone that's holding off but I am waiting for the games. There isn't a single compelling game out for either of these systems.
Did Microsoft have those fixed or did you have to buy another 360 each time?
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #2514
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Did Microsoft have those fixed or did you have to buy another 360 each time?
I believe my first died after 2 years (graphics card went) and it was replaced with a refurbish that died a couple years later (disc drive failed). I had to buy the third one myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #2515
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
I believe my first died after 2 years (graphics card went) and it was replaced with a refurbish that died a couple years later (disc drive failed). I had to buy the third one myself.
Dropped my 360 twice booth times disk drive acted up gave them rrod sent them back got refurbs for free.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #2516
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only complaint I have is the battery life of the DS4 controller but both consoles have been flawless and much, much quieter than last gen.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #2517
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Only complaint I have is the battery life of the DS4 controller but both consoles have been flawless and much, much quieter than last gen.
Yeah, they die quickly. My only peeve.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #2518
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Dropped my 360 twice booth times disk drive acted up gave them rrod sent them back got refurbs for free.
If I remember correctly, the reason why I couldn't get the second one fixed was because MS warranty for it had just expired. I believe I had it for just over 3 years before it crapped out.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 AM   #2519
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

MGS Ground Zeros is downloading and will be ready for me to play after work.

Should have taken a snow day.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:12 AM   #2520
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
MGS Ground Zeros is downloading and will be ready for me to play after work.

Should have taken a snow day.
This game is getting raked over the coals for it's play time. I am reading that it's about 1-4 hours long.