Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #121
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Irrelevant
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #122
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Did everyone hear that rumor about Gaudreau signing this week? Anyone????
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #123
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I haven't heard anything, but I would expect something gets signed prior to the World Cup. Gaudreau's agent is bluffing when he says that he'll play in the tournament without a contract - the risk associated with playing in that tournament, without having a contract, is much greater than the few hundred thousand per year that they're likely squabbling over.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #124
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
From where?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:19 PM   #125
Money Baer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Are you referring to the 7 x 7.4 rumour before the World Cup?
I saw this on Instagram l, but have no idea what site they got it from?
Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #126
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
This.

We are always hearing about how some player wants a move to a city to be close to home. It almost always doesn't happen. More often they don't want a trade because they've made a home (see Shane Doan).
I think it might be a Canadian inferiority complex thing. We don't apply the same logic to Canadian players. "Oh for sure Jonathan Toews wants to play for the Jets". "Sidney Crosby wants out of Pittsburgh because he's Canadian".

But it happens a lot with American players. It's almost like we think "why would Johnny want to stay with the Flames when he could live in New Jersey?" and "Tkachuk would rather be in St. Louis/Phoenix" like these places are paradise on earth, and Calgary sucks.

If hockey players were so interested in playing close to home, a Canadian team would win the Stanley Cup every year.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #127
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I think it might be a Canadian inferiority complex thing. We don't apply the same logic to Canadian players. "Oh for sure Jonathan Toews wants to play for the Jets". "Sidney Crosby wants out of Pittsburgh because he's Canadian".

But it happens a lot with American players. It's almost like we think "why would Johnny want to stay with the Flames when he could live in New Jersey?" and "Tkachuk would rather be in St. Louis/Phoenix" like these places are paradise on earth, and Calgary sucks.

If hockey players were so interested in playing close to home, a Canadian team would win the Stanley Cup every year.
Nobody, hockey player or not, wants to live in Winnipeg.
Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal are desirable cities to live in but for players that dont want the circus that comes along with being a hockey players in those cities, they are not desirable. Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa are in similar boats to Winnipeg.

Back to the topic at hand, Im working on a multi-player proposal with Philly. It needs to be multi-player to make it work for positional need. For those saying 1 for 1, I dont see this happening regardless of who the trading partner is. It will be a blockbuster deal, not like the Phaneuf for spare parts deal.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #128
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal are desirable cities to live in but for players that dont want the circus that comes along with being a hockey players in those cities, they are not desirable. Calgary, Edmonton, and Ottawa are in similar boats to Winnipeg.

Back to the topic at hand, Im working on a multi-player proposal with Philly. It needs to be multi-player to make it work for positional need. For those saying 1 for 1, I dont see this happening regardless of who the trading partner is. It will be a blockbuster deal, not like the Phaneuf for spare parts deal.
Sure, some cities are more attractive than others, all else equal.

But I think that, for the most part, athletes want to be on a team where they can excel personally and excel as part of their team.

Plenty of time to decide where to retire once they retire.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #129
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why?

It isn't happening.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:56 PM   #130
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, you just sort of proved my point. For some reason we think places like St.Louis, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Phoenix are these great places that people dream of living in if they are from the area, but we don't believe the same of Canadian cities.

Anyway, let us know how your proposal goes.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post: