Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2016, 08:00 AM   #21
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bolland and Vermette are basically the same generic player. Using a small amount of cap to get Crouse for a 3rd and either a 2nd or 3rd is brilliant.

Crouse is a good but not great prospect.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Craig Custance @CraigCustance
If Crouse doesn't play in Arizona this season, the 2nd round pick becomes a 3rd round pick.
Wow. Good condition. Wouldn't hurt the guy to go to the A for one more year anyway, he's 19, and the Yotes aren't going anywhere this year with or without him.

I agree with those who have said that Crouse was overhyped and isn't some future superstar, but as part of the cast of characters that the Yotes have assembled, he could be a hugely important piece. Their biggest issue right now appears to be three more years of Mike Smith.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #23
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also should be noted that Bolland is injured, so the Coyotes will not even have to pay him until he's better because insurance. The cats wanted to buy him out but couldn't due to the injury.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 08-25-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #24
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can anyone explain to me what sorcery bolland used to get that contract in the first place?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #25
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phoenix has $15 million dollars worth of cap hit for players that won't wear their uniform this year.

They are also at 50 contracts and have only $2.3 million left in cap space. Bonuses to Strome, Domi, Duclair, and potentially some other young guys that may force their way on the team could put them OVER the cap at year's end.

Crazy...

General Fanager is showing 14 forwards and 8 defensemen on their NHL roster.

I guess that means Tobias Reider gets traded or hard-balled to Europe.

The Yotes may move out a defenseman as well.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #26
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Can anyone explain to me what sorcery bolland used to get that contract in the first place?
He played on two championship teams ergo he is better than players that didn't.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #27
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Bolland contract is disgusting. 5.5 million USD (7.1 million CDN!) for another 3 seasons. Christ.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #28
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a good trade for Arizona since they probably weren't going to use this cap space anyway, but Crouse is just another example of why you don't draft players who really only excel physically in the top 10.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #29
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

sureloss beat himself: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=156249
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #30
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess there is debate on just how good a prospect Crouse is, which really affects how you judge the trade.

The fact Florida gets a couple of decent picks is not insignificant but in all, a really nice use of cap space by Arizona.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Also, if the Coyotes trade Crouse this year the 2nd round pick locks in as a second. Complicated deal. Wouldn't rule this out either.

The coyotes are thin on d prospects, so maybe they flip some of their forward prospects for a young d-man.
So would people be willing to trade one of our D prospects for Crouse?

I would assume it would take one of the top 3 (Kylington, Andersson or Hickey).

My first thought is no, but we could use another big winger - Crouse would certainly fill a need.

I could live with trading Andersson or Hickey for him, but I don't think I would give up Kylington.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #32
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand why we didn't make moves like this a couple years ago when we had all the cap space in the world and no chance of contending.

Good move.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #33
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also, if the Coyotes trade Crouse this year the 2nd round pick locks in as a second. Complicated deal. Wouldn't rule this out either.

Given the Panthers scooped up the guys who created the premier (in public anyway) prospect grading system to run their drafting, a system that was low on Crouse, not a surprise they dealt him. Likewise, you have to think with the Coyotes' GM, Chayka, being an analytics guy, there is a good possibility the Coyotes flip him to an organization who places a priority on size/grit/hitz.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #34
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I don't understand why we didn't make moves like this a couple years ago when we had all the cap space in the world and no chance of contending.

Good move.
This is the exact type of move that Feaster kept promising but could never deliver. It looks like the deals do exist but Jay was just unable to get one done. As we all know, Feaster was good in a few areas but trading was not one of them.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post

Good move.
I have asked myself the same question. But there is always an opportunity cost, in that we wouldn't have had the room to sign a guy like Frolik or Brouwer.

So let me ask you this: Would you rather have an overpriced veteran and a top prospect in the system, or Frolik for 4 years?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #36
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Also should be noted that Bolland is injured, so the Coyotes will not even have to pay him until he's better because insurance. The cats wanted to buy him out but couldn't due to the injury.
That assumes the Panthers insured his contract, which they might not have.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #37
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
This is the exact type of move that Feaster kept promising but could never deliver. It looks like the deals do exist but Jay was just unable to get one done. As we all know, Feaster was good in a few areas but trading was not one of them.
These deals weren't as prevalent then because the cap was rising more quickly, and teams were able to use compliance buy outs in 2014 which lessened pressure on teams with crap contracts.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2016, 08:52 AM   #38
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So would people be willing to trade one of our D prospects for Crouse?

I would assume it would take one of the top 3 (Kylington, Andersson or Hickey).

My first thought is no, but we could use another big winger - Crouse would certainly fill a need.

I could live with trading Andersson or Hickey for him, but I don't think I would give up Kylington.

I'd move any of those guys for Crouse. Big wingers are seriously lacking in our system. Fits the age of our team well too -- should be a full time replacement for Frolik or Brouwer by the time their deals expire.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #39
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

@generalfanager
ARI 2 big cap trades:

2016: $11.88M (Datsyuk + Bolland - Vitale)
2017,2018: $5.5M
Chychrun
Crouse

FOR

Cholowski
Hronek
2018 2nd*
2017 3rd

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #40
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I have asked myself the same question. But there is always an opportunity cost, in that we wouldn't have had the room to sign a guy like Frolik or Brouwer.

So let me ask you this: Would you rather have an overpriced veteran and a top prospect in the system, or Frolik for 4 years?
Completely the former. With the former, we might have even gotten a Puljijarvi or Matthews rather than Tkachuk (not that Tkachuk is bad or anything).

I guess my view of how the NHL works is exactly what Chayka is seeing. Basically if you're gonna suck, then suck. But if you're gonna be good, be REALLY good. Both are only made possible by top prospects. Everything else is secondary. It's clear that Chayka believes that his window is in about 3 years, when this contract gets off the books and he goes all in with his developed talent.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote