Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #21
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
For some reason Hockeyreference omitted a bunch of results to the previous search. I searched again, and have added the players omitted:

Rasmus Ristolainen
Adam Larsson
Victor Hedman
Noah Hanifin
Cam Fowler
Drew Doughty
Brent Burns
Luke Schenn
Luca Sbisa
Alex Pietrangelo
Dmitry Kulikov
Steve Eminger

I think the expanded list only furthers my assertion that the Flames rewarding Kylington with a game as an 18 year old has some meaning. As far as I can recall most of these players were Blue Chippers even Luke Schenn who Burke himself was hyping to high hell.

Kulak is waiver exempt next season. Wotherspoon is waiver eligible though.
and you think that playing in game 82 on a team playing out the string is significant?

Sieloff had the game winning goal in that game.

Backstrom was the the 1st star in that game making 35 saves.

Are you implying that Kylington moved ahead of Provonov, because Provonov didn't play in the NHL as an 18 year old and never will.

There was a weird alignment of circumstances that got Kylington in the NHL as a 18 year old. If Anderssen did not have to play in the OHL would have he got an NHL game in instead of Kylington?...

Seth Jones played in the NHL as soon as the CBA would allow him... 19 by 5 days.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #22
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Oh god I agree with ricardodw once.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #23
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ricardo has been pretty reasonable lately. Certainly not a bad poster.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I truly love the debate on Jankowski and he is maybe the most interesting prospect on the team for that reason. You could rank him from 2 to 10 on the prospect list and have some valid reasons.

How much weight do you put on his performance on the AHL last season? IIRC Morrison had a similarly impressive stint year before last and then almost fell off the map.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #25
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I truly love the debate on Jankowski and he is maybe the most interesting prospect on the team for that reason. You could rank him from 2 to 10 on the prospect list and have some valid reasons.

How much weight do you put on his performance on the AHL last season? IIRC Morrison had a similarly impressive stint year before last and then almost fell off the map.
Morrison was overrated by fans and I'm not sure why. He was never a top prospect. He got a bit of buzz from a few overzealous farm watchers and the hype built around a guy who was behind probably 6-8 defensemen on the long term depth chart.

As for Jankowski his season was extremely promising even if he hadn't gone to the AHL. I think even from just his college season alone and his potential he deserves a top 3 ranking.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #26
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brandon Kisker (Stockton Heat PBP) raving about Jankowski, Kylington, Kulak.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-...ski-bandwagon/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
and you think that playing in game 82 on a team playing out the string is significant?
It is significant in the sense of the team showing belief in him as an 18 year old and rewarding him for a strong season in a league populated primarily by 21 to 28 year olds. You mention Sieloff, but Sieloff did not get that same game 82 a year prior as a 20 year old. And many would feel he only got called up here because he was on the verge of being traded.

The question mark about Kylington here on CP is whether Kylington "will" become strong in his own zone.

I'm not so sure. It is only conjection but I believe Kylington got called up to evaluate "how close is he" not to evaluate "how likely is he". It's not "whether" Kylington figures it all out, but how soon and to what extent. To me that is a blue chipper. He wouldn't be called up even for a game 82 if there were major questions about his ability to figure it all out.

Now does that mean he is a comparable prospect to a guy like Provorov? Never said anything of the sort. With a guy like Provorov you're expecting a hopeful #1D... a Ryan Suter or such. Anything less would be pretty disappointing. With a guy like Kylington, obviously the sky is still the limit (I can't help but think "Brodie/OEL/Keith tier") but the base expectation would be closer to a guy like Keith Yandle, Dougie Hamilton, or Sami Vatanen. That would still solidify him as a blue chipper if like me you think he has a higher NHL likelyhood than he seemingly gets credit for.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-27-2016 at 10:15 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: