Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 10:22 PM   #19221
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Going to paint UCP and a lot of their supporters with a broad brush here, so let me acknowledge that, but I think one of the underlying reasons for their disdain for low-income Albertans comes from a belief that if you are poor you are a) lazy b) unqualified/uneducated (nice way of saying dumb), c) not righteous, or d) all of the above.

Just my personal experience recently: I've run into more of a certain type of religious people who believe that the only way you can have this temporal success is by being super pious, and those folks who are struggling financially are, in effect, less righteous.

With the TBA idiots and their home-schooled zealot leadership, I wouldn't be surprised if that was an underlying part of their cruelty: "we aren't punishing the poor because they are poor, but because they haven't been blessed enough."
Thanked your post as this is also how I feel. The mix between religion and politics is so gross.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 11:31 PM   #19222
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Anyone up for a canoe trip before they flood it? Nothing bad ever happened on a Canoe trip.
Is that Banjo music I hear?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 04:39 AM   #19223
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
How much do other provinces fund low income transit passes for their respective major cities as a comparison? (BC, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec)
Other non-Alberta Canadian cities either only have a modest discount or limit them to just low-income seniors/disabled. As of 2019:

Calgary has the most generous discount and most universal since it's based on income and household size (about 2/3rd of program users qualified for the cheapest pass), so it's a costly program that nobody else has and Alberta never agreed to fund permanently.

Last edited by accord1999; 05-01-2024 at 05:01 AM.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:27 AM   #19224
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stated plainly... UCP is a threat to democracy

https://drjaredwesley.substack.com/p...t-to-democracy
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 07:37 AM   #19225
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Going to paint UCP and a lot of their supporters with a broad brush here, so let me acknowledge that, but I think one of the underlying reasons for their disdain for low-income Albertans comes from a belief that if you are poor you are a) lazy b) unqualified/uneducated (nice way of saying dumb), c) not righteous, or d) all of the above.

Just my personal experience recently: I've run into more of a certain type of religious people who believe that the only way you can have this temporal success is by being super pious, and those folks who are struggling financially are, in effect, less righteous.

With the TBA idiots and their home-schooled zealot leadership, I wouldn't be surprised if that was an underlying part of their cruelty: "we aren't punishing the poor because they are poor, but because they haven't been blessed enough."

You just described prosperity gospel. The wealthy are God's favorite hence the money, but also there for the poor are being punished by God and you don't want to defy the lords will.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:52 AM   #19226
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
You just described prosperity gospel. The wealthy are God's favorite hence the money, but also there for the poor are being punished by God and you don't want to defy the lords will.
Ah, just as Jesus preached. #### the poor.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 07:57 AM   #19227
FacePaint
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Other non-Alberta Canadian cities either only have a modest discount or limit them to just low-income seniors/disabled. As of 2019:

Calgary has the most generous discount and most universal since it's based on income and household size (about 2/3rd of program users qualified for the cheapest pass), so it's a costly program that nobody else has and Alberta never agreed to fund permanently.
Strange because it's in the Mandate Letter - Ensuring adequate funding is provided to partners to ensure low-income Albertans can access municipal transit at lower prices.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:29 AM   #19228
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post

Toronto now has a (modest) discount program, as does Saskatoon.
And I remember a time in this city and province when 'We aren't the worst' wasn't the bar to jump over to be happy about a policy or support when 'we are the best' was actually an ideal.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 08:32 AM   #19229
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Jesus rode a donkey.

The poor should just find themselves a donkey.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:44 AM   #19230
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Which is funny because according to the bible, God loves everyone equally... so why is he (suspiciously) playing favourites? Things that make you go hmmmm.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 08:52 AM   #19231
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Which is funny because according to the bible, God loves everyone equally... so why is he (suspiciously) playing favourites? Things that make you go hmmmm.
Religions behaving hypocritically makes you go hmmm? Are you new here?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:58 AM   #19232
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Religions behaving hypocritically makes you go hmmm? Are you new here?
Lol, chill... obvious post is obvious.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:30 AM   #19233
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is that Banjo music I hear?
You gotta real purty mouth, ain't ya.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:06 AM   #19234
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ah, just as Jesus preached. #### the poor.
Gospel of Supply Side Jesus.
https://imgur.com/gallery/bCqRp

And
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 11:33 AM   #19235
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Walking back the pulling of low income transit pass funding...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1785723148945813836
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 11:40 AM   #19236
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Occasionally Rick Bell gets it right, but he probably also understands his audience has a contingent of those affected.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 12:09 PM   #19237
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

All credit goes to Albertans for this reversal. Absolutely none to the UCP. And no, the Dinger did not foment this reversal.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 12:48 PM   #19238
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
All credit goes to Albertans for this reversal. Absolutely none to the UCP. And no, the Dinger did not foment this reversal.
Maybe I’m becoming too much of a softy but I have a hard time not giving them credit for pulling their heads out of their asses even if it was only stuck there in the first place because they went looking for a solution to a problem no one was asking them to fix.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 12:53 PM   #19239
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Which is just so antithetical to the teachings of, you know, Jesus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
God actually doesnt love everyone equally. He despises the rich.

Quote:
"How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

— Matthew 19:23–27, NRS
Quote:
And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in; it chokes the Word, which becomes unfruitful

— Mark 4:19, NRSV[
This has been largely ignored by most, and for the most part lessened by the belief that god doesn't hate the rich so long as they use their wealth "righteously"

Last edited by Cappy; 05-01-2024 at 01:00 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 12:54 PM   #19240
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

The statement from Nixon is worded as such that it blames the cities for this, and the UCP is heroes for stepping back in.

Just vile, disgusting agenda-led leadership. They're doing this by design, too.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: