Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Leak-proofing a Gas Can

I want to take a 20-liter jerry can with us on a trip to Idaho this weekend to see the eclipse. The government expects huge influx of people there and the road service in those areas is very sparse from what I have heard. I have three relatively new 20-l red plastic cans. Problem is, they all smell when filled with gasoline, which leads me to believe all of their caps are leaking a bit. OK for emergencies, but not OK to have in a vehicle for long travel. There are metal ones on amazon marketed as "NATO Jerry Can" for $80US, but buyers' feedback says that with the new regulation spouts, they leak too.

Does anyone have good experience in how to 100% leak-proof a plastic gas can cap?

Here's mine:

Old 08-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plastic bag over the spout then screw the cap on? Then maybe put the can into a garbage bag and tie it up. I've never tried it but it may work.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt it. Gasoline may react to polyethylene.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

ffs... look at these reviews...
Old 08-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

With good O rings, they shouldn't leak. Gas is smelly stuff, and they usually smell becasue it's hard to not get a bit off gas on the outside while pouring. If gas leaked regularly, there would be many more issues that they create. If you are worried, I'd get a plastic bucket to place it in to hold any leak - and wrap it in a garbage bag.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the rubber seals too thin or old? I also seem to recall gas can lids that didn't have a "hole" in them and not having the gas smell issue. The modern ones have that hole so you can flip the donkey dick funnel inside and pour. I believe you might find success if you get a replacement for those and just store the cap/tube on the side. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-POUR-Gas-...-/112016596228

Personally, I think part of your solution might also be to get a wood crate box to ensure the gas cans stay vertical and cannot tip. IIRC, when I was younger, my dad used a crate of sorts and ran a bungee cord between the hand holes and handle of the gas can. I don't think it completely stopped the fumes, but at least the gas cans were never on their side and the smell wasn't as strong or something. If you consider this though, keep in mind the "modern" crate boxes are often too light and thus might not be adequate enough to keep the can from tipping over.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have 2 of these since they didn't have a 20L at the store and as far as I can tell they don't stink when shut. I only notice a smell when I leave them partly cracked so they don't collapse or expand.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.g...000111540.html
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

the key is to not fill them right up. as im sure you know, gas will expand when heated, so its not so much the sealing (which it is too) but the gas being forced out due to expansion of the volume.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Are the rubber seals too thin or old? ...
They are less than 4 years old and not used much at all. I bought them at Canadian Tire in 2013. Still look like brand new. They are this new CARB-compliant design, which seems to have made all fuel containers less reliable for some reason. I remember older green military-looking metal gas cans - old and rusty, but simple latch or a screw-on cap with no leaks whatsoever...

They do not smell when filled and static. But as the vehicle starts moving, the smell is noticeable. Obviously, through either the big cap or vent cap...
Old 08-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could leave it in the sun and wait for it to warm up and build some pressure. Then drip some soap/water solution around where the caps are and see if you can spot the bubbles.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once the cans have been tested to ensure they are not leaking could you then put them in a larger plastic tub with a lid, and then close the lid to try and contain the smell.

The best solution would be to somehow keep the cans in a rack on the outside of the vehicle.

Could also try an wait until as long as possible before filling up the cans
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Plastic bag over the spout then screw the cap on? Then maybe put the can into a garbage bag and tie it up. I've never tried it but it may work.
Excellent way to make a bomb, vapours will leak into the bag just waiting for oxygen and a spark.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you concerned with stations running out of gas or just a lack of gas stations?

For example around Craters of the moon Carry has a gas station and I think Arco did to and you really are within 200k of the I-15 from Dubois so if you filled up there you have plenty of gas for an out and back. With a modern 600k tank you can likely get back to twin falls, Pocatello or Boisie from wherever you are.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:44 PM   #14
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Crack a window?
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:05 AM   #15
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Are you concerned with stations running out of gas or just a lack of gas stations?.
Well, yeah. Could be millions of people potentially descending on a few small towns in Idaho and Montana and consuming all of their supplies. We're going to fill up in Butte, then go to camp on a farm in Rigby, which is 300km south, roughly; that's 1/2 tank. There will be thousands of vehicles there, in all likelihood. I am not sure if their few local gas stations would be able to keep up with the demand.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #16
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Um... spend the ten bucks on a new gas can?
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #17
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well I would just carry the gas cans in the bed of my truck instead of the passenger compartment...

But seriously, try plumbers tape on the threads maybe. If you have a bike rack and arent taking your bikes, use that to carry the gas cans, Ive seen that done.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #18
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finding a way to store them outside of the vehicle would be best. If you have a hitch, little hitch racks aren't expensive. Roof rack terrific option, but pricey. Fuel vapours inside a vehicle aren't something I'd say is a good idea, even if you can't smell them
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, keep your eye on the white car....

Propane, but still...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #20
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Maybe look into these. https://rotopax.com/

Not sure how leak proof they are, but hoping the price means they are better. Give em a shout.