Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Danny Taylor

13 straight starts since the Heat picked him up, and to this point he's posted:

8-3-1 record
1.99 GAA
0.942 save percentage
2 shut outs

This kid has bounced around quite a bit, and has played as many ECHL games as AHL games. Funnily enough, his ECHL numbers are terrible, while his AHL numbers haven't been too bad.

He's only 25, is there any chance he's a late bloomer, and that the Flames might ink him to some sort of contract after the season is over?

Someone posted in that other thread, that Ortio might be loaned to a team in Sweden next season, but either way it wouldn't hurt to keep Taylor around if he keeps this up.

So, Abby watchers, is Taylor the real deal, or will he likely fade?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He's good, but I can't see him climbing through the ranks of the Flames. He's playing for a chance at an NHL contract, but it'll likely be with another club.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have quite a few goalies now as it is, so I don't think he'd be in their plan.

As for how he plays, he's probably one of the most focused goalies I've ever watched. Between the time the team hits the ice and the end of the game, I swear he doesn't speak to anyone. On commercial breaks, he goes down on one knee at the hash marks and simply stares at the net at the other end of the rink.

That's really all I can give for input, I don't really pay much attention to goaltending.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

This kid makes me wonder a lot about the Heat, and about Irving.

How does he compare to Irving? Was Irving having a really great season based on how great the team in front of him was, as comparing him to Taylor?

25 or not, even 30.. those numbers are real good. I wonder if he can keep them up for as long as Irving is up with the Flames. If he does, I would assume the Flames would probably want to sign him, unless they feel it is more of the Heat playing so well in front of him.

I haven't watched Taylor at all thus far - how do you guys really feel in comparison to Irving? Those numbers listed by the OP (and I just checked hockeyDB, and they have actually improved) are better numbers than Irving has gotten with the heat, and in a time of injuries and call-ups. Was the team sheltering Taylor much more, or has he really been that much better than Irving?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
On commercial breaks, he goes down on one knee at the hash marks and simply stares at the net at the other end of the rink.
This sounds hilarious!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

His numbers are fantastic and I'm glad that he is doing so well in Irving's place, but I can't see him being in the Flames' plans. They already have four goaltenders under contract right now plus two interesting prospects in Ramo (probably the best goaltender in Europe right now) and Brossoit (a longshot project, but among the best goaltenders in the WHL and a year younger than all the other top goalies there). I don't see it happen ... unless

a) the Flames somehow end up trading one or two of Kipper/Karlsson/Irving
b) the Flames loan Ortio back to Europe next year
c) Ramo stays over next year.

If two of those things happen, then Taylor could be an interesting short-time option.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
His numbers are fantastic and I'm glad that he is doing so well in Irving's place, but I can't see him being in the Flames' plans. They already have four goaltenders under contract right now plus two interesting prospects in Ramo (probably the best goaltender in Europe right now) and Brossoit (a longshot project, but among the best goaltenders in the WHL and a year younger than all the other top goalies there). I don't see it happen ... unless

a) the Flames somehow end up trading one or two of Kipper/Karlsson/Irving
b) the Flames loan Ortio back to Europe next year
c) Ramo stays over next year.

If two of those things happen, then Taylor could be an interesting short-time option.
That was my line of thinking with Taylor as well.

I think option C is a lock, since Ramo is under contract with Omsk one more year and basically said on twitter that he plans on honoring it.

There was a rumor in the other thread that option B might happen.

...and even option A is something I can see happening. IMO Irving might be good trade bait as part of a package for a decent center, and we know Feaster is on the hunt for one.

If.....

1. Ramo isn't an option until 2013/14 season, stays in Russia
2. Ortio goes back to Europe for a year or two
3. Irving were to be traded to upgrade our forward group

....that would leave us with Kipper/Karlsson in Calgary, and Brossoit in junior with Ramo and Ortio still part of the long term plan over in Europe.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have Taylor, who is only 25, under contract as a the Heat's mainstay with potential to battle Karlsson for the back up spot in Calgary next season.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 01-16-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any videos online focused on him? All I can find are the Heat highlights and they basically are goals and good scoring chances.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think both goaltenders have benefitted from Troy Ward's system. And the fact that the Heat have a goalie coach, something not every AHL organization has. I'm not ready to deem Taylor as good as Irving until he has a better sample size to look at. He's not sustained numbers like this in the past, but maybe this is his big year.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 playoff starts and wins.... It will be interesting to see where he fits in the Flames plans.... Obviously he has Ward's confidence.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
4 playoff starts and wins.... It will be interesting to see where he fits in the Flames plans.... Obviously he has Ward's confidence.
Yeah, he's killin' it right now. I feel bad for Irving, but at the same time Irving's a true teammate and wants the team to win no matter what.

Next season, I expect Taylor to get a full-year PTO or SPC and stick with the Heat.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

makes me wonder what it is Ward does that speaks volumes to these players like Taylor and Aliu .....if he can reach what has been referred to as a reclamation project by other teams maybe the vets would buy into his philosophy in Calgary????
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
makes me wonder what it is Ward does that speaks volumes to these players like Taylor and Aliu .....if he can reach what has been referred to as a reclamation project by other teams maybe the vets would buy into his philosophy in Calgary????

Really helps that he has an incredibily deep roster (for the AHL).... he can easily bench Aliu because he has Rienhardt waiting for a chance.

Lots of players with NHL games on his roster.

It becomes more difficult to motivate Bouwmeester, Tanguay, or Gio or Glencross when they lose focus.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Obviously take this for what it's worth just as an opinion from a goalie who likes to think he can assess talent, but from watching highlights I don't really see a hidden gem in Taylor nor do I see him likely sticking in the NHL for long. On one hand he's put up decent numbers in scattered through different of years in the AHL, but if you think about it on the other hand then you have to wonder why someone with that success hasn't been able to garner more interest as an NHL option. Obviously some guys get unlucky being stuck on a deep depth chart and stuff, but still you have to think he's really failed to impress enough in his NHL camps. From both looking at his career stats and highlights I see a guy that just isn't quite good enough to take it to the next level.

As for his good performance this year, I see it as part of normal ups and downs that goalies go through more than a breakout. Of course he's still young enough to be developing and some goalies will grow in leaps and bounds rapidly from where he's at. As nice as it is when it happens, it's still usually a longshot and hot streaks are just way more common. Wherever Taylor fits into our plans obviously depends on where all our goalies will be next year, but I do think he's a good short-term option to have around if needed to help the Heat out and keep an eye on. He should probably be rewarded with an invite to the Flames' main camp in fall to have a look at.

I'm not entirely sure if Feaster is just saying what he has to about Ramo while he tries to bring him over for next year or not, but he does seem genuine in saying he'll be in the KHL for another year. It does seem to fit well into a plan of trying to rebuild on-the-fly while trying to remain competitive. It would allow a year to see Irving play 20 games behind Kipper rather than having two question marks in goal and hoping for the best with Irving and Ramo. On the other hand Kipper is probably one of the Flames' easiest and most valuable assets to move if you want to really shake things up.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the Flames are looking to give Taylor an NHL contract this off-season. That 50 contract cap is too valuable. At the most, I think he'll just get another SPC and either be the starter or backup again in 2012/13.

I do agree with you that he had his ups and downs throughout the season (maybe a few more ups than downs), but there were times this season where he'd be spectacular. I don't think he'll be an NHL option at all, but I do think he's ahead of Ortio and Brossoit at this point in time. I know, that goes without saying, but he definitely deserves another spot next season with the Heat. Yes, invite him to Flames training camp, but ultimately, he's a fairly good AHL goalie.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has there been any backlash toward Ward for not playing Irving against the Marlies?
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #17
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
Has there been any backlash toward Ward for not playing Irving against the Marlies?
Not from a Heat fan perspective. There's been much more backlash from the Flames fans on CP.

I think the Heat fans' primary concern was going deep in the playoffs regardless of the goalie. Flames fans' primary concern was playing time and development of Irving.