Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2024, 09:13 AM   #8581
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
On this note, I watched The A-Team (2010). Unironically, I had a better time than most Mission Impossible movies (maybe outside of 1&3).

It just leaned so hard into its ridiculousness and knew what it was. I don't care they used a tank turret to break its fall out of an airplane or the multitude of physics laws they broke throughout the movie.

They just seemed to have a great time making it and I was happy to go along with it.
In a similar vein, I loved The Losers from the same year. Really a shame it wasn't as well received.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:17 AM   #8582
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenarms View Post
In a similar vein, I loved The Losers from the same year. Really a shame it wasn't as well received.
That movie was great! Its fun, its funny, it has a great cast, I have no idea why it didnt really catch on.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 09:23 AM   #8583
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for the Losers. Saw it in the theatre and a few times since. Always a fun time. Great cast. Jeffery Dean Morgan, Chris Evans, Zoe Saldana, Idris Elba, Jason Patric.

Just a good, fun action movie.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:54 AM   #8584
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Why do you guys choose to watch movies like Road House? Clearly it is going to be bad, there was no scenario where it might surprise and be good, yet you still chose to sit down and commit your time to this movie. Why?
Sometime you just want a box of Kraft Dinner for lunch. It's not for the culinary experience.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 10:00 AM   #8585
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Sometime you just want a box of Kraft Dinner for lunch. It's not for the culinary experience.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-23-2024, 10:55 AM   #8586
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I liked the Losers, but couldn't stand Zoe Seldana in that role. Her overpowering Jeffrey Dean Morgan in a fight to the point where his arms were shaking because she was just so strong? I can suspend disbelief, but no, that was ridiculous. I get they want hot chicks in action movies being tough and badass, but she had barely any muscle to make me think there's any world where that would happen. There are women they could have had in the role that actually have some muscle who still look good beating men up. Zoe Seldana in Star Trek or a ballerina dance movie? All day. Overpowering Jeffrey Dean Morgan? Nope. Such a massive pet peeve of mine when they shoehorn some whisper of a chick and just say she's super strong.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:10 AM   #8587
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was the only thing I disliked as well. She wasn't an alien superhero, she was just a woman. She weighs a buck ten and she's tossing around JDM? Nope.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 11:22 AM   #8588
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't remember that specific scene. Pure strength on strength, yeah that's a tough sell. That said, one of the smallest, slightest women I know was a black belt that I've seen overpower (in some way) men much larger than her. Training can go a long way. That said, Morgans character is also a special ops trainee so...yeah you can find a more creative way a smaller person can overcome their counterpart.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:32 AM   #8589
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
I liked the Losers, but couldn't stand Zoe Seldana in that role. Her overpowering Jeffrey Dean Morgan in a fight to the point where his arms were shaking because she was just so strong? I can suspend disbelief, but no, that was ridiculous. I get they want hot chicks in action movies being tough and badass, but she had barely any muscle to make me think there's any world where that would happen. There are women they could have had in the role that actually have some muscle who still look good beating men up. Zoe Seldana in Star Trek or a ballerina dance movie? All day. Overpowering Jeffrey Dean Morgan? Nope. Such a massive pet peeve of mine when they shoehorn some whisper of a chick and just say she's super strong.
Lol! For whatever I reason I just glossed that over, but I remember on this occasion and many others that this is a giant pet-peeve of my wife's.

Just..."Nope. JDM is going to one-punch feed her lunch."

He's twice her size, he's got reach advantage and he's a trained Special Forces operative. They cant expect us to buy this.

I'm not saying small women or men cant defeat larger opponents, but there has to be a realistic gap somewhere.

Alls I'm saying is...if I fought a 90-pound martial arts master of a woman, she would probably destroy me. Sure, I'm twice her size, stronger, but I have no training of any kind.

When Mr. Miyagi was teaching 'Wax-on, Wax-off' I was training with "Pringles up, Beer down!" Developing skills of which I am assured have very few Martial Arts applications.

Replace me with a similarly sized Special Forces operative with similar martial arts training and the outcome is likely going to be different.

Anyways, it was still a fun movie! I inexplicably love Idris Elba and I'm a huge fan of JDM. That guy seems like he'd be incredibly fun to hang out with in real life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 11:34 AM   #8590
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's also the possibility that Morgan's character didn't want to actually hurt or subdue Saldana's character given their relationship, and she used that to her advantage.
Old 03-23-2024, 11:37 AM   #8591
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
This is the perspective I was looking for.
flames_fan_down_under is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 12:24 PM   #8592
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

The scene in the movie I am talking about is when she first approaches him and they go back to his hotel. They are fighting and such and she ends up on top of him. He's lying on his back and she has (I believe) a broken chair leg in each hand and she's trying to stab at him with it. He has both her arms at the wrist and his arms are shaking, because presumably she is just so strong. No. Can smaller people defeat larger people in fights using technique? Yes. In that moment though, it was strength v. strength and he was struggling.

Even if he didn't want to hurt her, I cannot imagine he couldn't have just tossed her off of him and been done with it.

It's right at the end of this clip. His arms are shaking. Give me a damn break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmkTHqo0Obw
Old 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM   #8593
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I love Live Die Repeat!
The Japanese novel name is better. All you Need is Kill!
Old 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM   #8594
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is fine, I wasn't a massive fan or the 80s movies but still like these new ones. Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, Patton Oswalt and Kumail Nanjiani are all so talented and likeable, they're fun to watch, the casting is great. So weird to see the kids grown up but that does happen!
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 02:54 PM   #8595
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Strange Brew on YouTube. Beauty, eh?

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2024, 04:16 PM   #8596
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
The scene in the movie I am talking about is when she first approaches him and they go back to his hotel. They are fighting and such and she ends up on top of him. He's lying on his back and she has (I believe) a broken chair leg in each hand and she's trying to stab at him with it. He has both her arms at the wrist and his arms are shaking, because presumably she is just so strong. No. Can smaller people defeat larger people in fights using technique? Yes. In that moment though, it was strength v. strength and he was struggling.

Even if he didn't want to hurt her, I cannot imagine he couldn't have just tossed her off of him and been done with it.

It's right at the end of this clip. His arms are shaking. Give me a damn break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmkTHqo0Obw
My wife used to do Shotokan karate. There was a woman in her class who was very skilled, great technique. She had a black belt. When she sparred with the guy black belts, she got destroyed. Just not enough strength. She was built similar to Saldana. Didn’t hold up to 200lb men.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:49 PM   #8597
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
My wife used to do Shotokan karate. There was a woman in her class who was very skilled, great technique. She had a black belt. When she sparred with the guy black belts, she got destroyed. Just not enough strength. She was built similar to Saldana. Didn’t hold up to 200lb men.
Right. Which makes perfect sense.

Again, for instance, if I fought that woman at ~200lbs, that little lady would probably kick my ass halfway to hell and back.

But take two people of essentially equal training and skill, the bigger, stronger one is probably gonna win, again, assuming ceteris paribus.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:30 PM   #8598
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was lucky enough to get my hands on the new 4K release of The Abyss and watched it for the first time. Amazing movie, I was expecting more horror type film, I wasn't expecting it to be like Contact. Ed Harris gives the performance of a lifetime, he is so so good in it. The ending is great, and ends on an uplifting note, if you haven't seen it before give it a watch. Oh and the 4K disk looks stunning, it's a demo worthy disk. James Cameron never misses.
Nadal Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 12:52 AM   #8599
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I was lucky enough to get my hands on the new 4K release of The Abyss and watched it for the first time. Amazing movie, I was expecting more horror type film, I wasn't expecting it to be like Contact. Ed Harris gives the performance of a lifetime, he is so so good in it. The ending is great, and ends on an uplifting note, if you haven't seen it before give it a watch. Oh and the 4K disk looks stunning, it's a demo worthy disk. James Cameron never misses.
I'm surprised you're so positive about the 4K release, apparently all 3 of the Cameron remasters (Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies) have been botched with bad AI denoising to the point of waxy visuals throughout.

Maybe The Abyss is the best looking of the 3, because these look like they're from a videogame:

Edit: Yeah, looking deeper it sounds like there's evidence that The Abyss had a new 4K scan at least, and as a result had better AI results. Whereas Aliens and True Lies were just upscales from their previous 2K scans, so the DNR applied causes much waxier results.

Last edited by AC; 03-24-2024 at 01:05 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:46 AM   #8600
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Ghostbusters Frozen Empire is fine, I wasn't a massive fan or the 80s movies but still like these new ones. Paul Rudd, Carrie Coon, Patton Oswalt and Kumail Nanjiani are all so talented and likeable, they're fun to watch, the casting is great. So weird to see the kids grown up but that does happen!
Yeah, I saw it yesterday and my immediate takeaway was " Eh, it's fine." Not great by any means, but not all-out terrible. There are too many characters, too many callbacks, and it's short on thrills and fun.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote