Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2024, 11:36 AM   #19161
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Can you expand on how this would be a disincentive for retaining doctors.

I would have thought this would be an opportunity for Doctors with existing practices to expand hours and maximize income by employing NPs along side their existing practice.
Expand hours? My wife currently works 10 -12 hours a day. She usually works 2-4 hours after the clinic closes. My family doctor just shut down his practice because his work life balance was terrible and he has a young daughter, he's gone back to school.

The NPs are getting their own clinics if I'm not mistaken. If NPs were being employed in clinics with doctors I think it would help. They have their place and are very useful but this is just a slap in the face.

Seems like anyone is better off being a NP than a doctor. No complicated cases, small panels, way less school, way less training, same pay.

You work in a province where the government constantly tries to tell the public you're greedy, and over paid (while straight up lying about what they are paid), changing time modifiers etc to reduce pay and make it more difficult to provide good care among MANY other issues.

Then they offer a group with nowhere near the same training, qualifications, and experience basically the same pay without batting an eye, for a 900 person panel. Alberta has a bunch of open residencies for a reason. If they treated MDs like they are planning on treating NPs they might have way less.

There are bunch of other issues that most people wouldn't be aware of as well. How do they determine panel size? Currently if you go to a walk in clinic you become part of their panel. So your family doctor does the work 90% of the time, followup, complicated issues, but now you're under the walk in clinic as their panel not your family doctor. Is that how they are going to determine NP pay? So the NP will be paid more while not really seeing many of those patients.They've already used this system for a payment they provided for clinics.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 11:53 AM   #19162
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Green text:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1783906624715035057
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 12:02 PM   #19163
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post

The NPs are getting their own clinics if I'm not mistaken. If NPs were being employed in clinics with doctors I think it would help. They have their place and are very useful but this is just a slap in the face.
They are getting their own clinics? As in, AHS is setting up specific clinics for them to work in or that they will have an opportunity to open and operate clinics the same way that Doctors do?

Also, is there anything stopping Doctors and NPs from partnering and operating our of the same clinic or anything stopping Doctors from hiring NPs into their existing practice?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:18 PM   #19164
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why increasing health care capacity in this country is going to be such an uphill battle. Every mooted measure is going to piss someone off.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:18 PM   #19165
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's also a massive insult to physicians, who rack up something like 20,000 clinical hours during residency, & pay people who are nowhere near as qualified with 4500 clinical hours the same while you vilainize them for being paid too much.

Also important is that the province consistently lies about how much doctors are paid in order to make them look greedy.

So Alberta Doctors are paid too well, but people who aren't nearly as qualified should be paid basically the same. There's no logic in this province, absolutely brilliant, the province just made the case that doctors should be paid way more.
and to no surprise the NPs are gunning for full parity- as you point out then- I guess to be paid as highly as the apparently grossly overpaid family MDs

Nurse practitioner primary care program funding finalized: Health minister | CTV News

"We're not naive to the fact that our physician colleagues have been struggling with their funding model," she said. "That's not lost on us.
"So we need to ensure that over the long term that the funding model is sustainable and keeps these NP clinics viable."
Mador said she was hoping to see a higher level of compensation offered, and she will be looking to renegotiate in the future.
"Of course, we would like to see equal pay for equal work," she said. "Nurse practitioners won't be getting a 20 per cent discount on their overhead or any other expenses that they need to be able to run these clinics."
The province said overhead and practice-related costs have been factored into the 80 per cent compensation rate.
According to Lorian Hardcastle, a law professor at the University of Calgary, that funding model could see some pushback from Alberta's doctors, souring an already strained relationship.
looooob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 12:36 PM   #19166
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Holy ####, and with the move towards alternative healthcare models, they're basically going to just wipe out family doctors entirely if they give them equal pay.

Seems like their solution is just to run them out of town, and expect Albertans to pay full price for a substandard model of primary care.

If you're a family doc, I'd be looking at leaving. Full stop now.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 01:04 PM   #19167
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

My desire to go to Alberta even to visit family and friends keeps going down.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 01:15 PM   #19168
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

Apart from the word Commissar this could be real
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 01:16 PM   #19169
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Apart from the word Commissar this could be real
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 01:48 PM   #19170
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Don't make us send a convoy to you!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:08 PM   #19171
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
They are getting their own clinics? As in, AHS is setting up specific clinics for them to work in or that they will have an opportunity to open and operate clinics the same way that Doctors do?

Also, is there anything stopping Doctors and NPs from partnering and operating our of the same clinic or anything stopping Doctors from hiring NPs into their existing practice?

They can partner up, and that's honestly what it should be. The NPs shouldn't be getting clinics outside of places that have no doctors obviously. Having HP's work in a clinic with Doctors taking stuff that is less complex off the doctors plates would be a great system in my opinion.

I believe they are opening their own if I'm not mistaken. Last I saw was NPs see 4 patients an hour and were asking for the same pay as physicians, which is insane when our government has forced physicians to see more than 4 an hour due to the pay structure/modifiers nonsense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 03:12 PM   #19172
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This is why increasing health care capacity in this country is going to be such an uphill battle. Every mooted measure is going to piss someone off.
It's going to piss them off if you're clearly trying make life harder for one group. Don't act like this is a good solution after all the absolute garbage we've seen from the provincial government with doctors.

You want to have more doctors? Stop fighting with them all day everyday, subsidize some more seats at medical schools in the province, treat residents fairly, use healthcare systems (IT side) that aren't an absolute joke, offer some kind of incentive for clinics to bring residents in, and stop lying about them being greedy.

It's not complicated and we seem to do everything to avoid any of these simple solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Holy ####, and with the move towards alternative healthcare models, they're basically going to just wipe out family doctors entirely if they give them equal pay.

Seems like their solution is just to run them out of town, and expect Albertans to pay full price for a substandard model of primary care.

If you're a family doc, I'd be looking at leaving. Full stop now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
and to no surprise the NPs are gunning for full parity- as you point out then- I guess to be paid as highly as the apparently grossly overpaid family MDs
My wife's clinic have been in discussions about shutting down for awhile, this may be the final straw.

Their initial request as far as I can remember was to have something like 300k/yr with a 900 patient panel. Anyone that knows, would know that doctors typically don't make 300k/yr for 900 patients. Every family doctor I know would take that deal in a heartbeat. I could be mistaken on that initial request but that's what I recall from a couple months back.

Last edited by AFireInside; 04-26-2024 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:29 PM   #19173
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's not complicated and we seem to do everything to avoid any of these simple solutions.
Health care capacity has been a worsening problem in every province under every party for 20 years now. So it doesn’t seem to be an easy problem to solve at all.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 03:45 PM   #19174
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Health care capacity has been a worsening problem in every province under every party for 20 years now. So it doesn’t seem to be an easy problem to solve at all.
The first step in solving it should be to stop going out of their way to make it worse.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 04:19 PM   #19175
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They can partner up, and that's honestly what it should be. The NPs shouldn't be getting clinics outside of places that have no doctors obviously. Having HP's work in a clinic with Doctors taking stuff that is less complex off the doctors plates would be a great system in my opinion.

I believe they are opening their own if I'm not mistaken. Last I saw was NPs see 4 patients an hour and were asking for the same pay as physicians, which is insane when our government has forced physicians to see more than 4 an hour due to the pay structure/modifiers nonsense.
The first paragraph was my thought process on how doctors could expand hours by hiring NPs and increasing utilization of the office. By adding NPs you enabable an office to open 8-8 7 days a week without needing additional office space. Hopefully it ends up as an opportunity for practices to expand.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:30 PM   #19176
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

“Seventy per cent of the public don’t want political parties and over 98 per cent of municipalities won’t have them,” said McIver
He also said they wouldnt be affiliated with any already existing provincial or federal party

But wait...guess which turd has already started a conservative muni party? Any guesses?
Says right in their statement that they support busboobs and pp.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:19 PM   #19177
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Me too...and I live in Calgary.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:11 PM   #19178
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Posted in bike thread, but prob appropriate here as well...

"If there's no forests, no trees, there can be no wildfires..."
UCP logic. Probably.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1783930409161728245
Old 04-26-2024, 10:32 PM   #19179
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Posted in bike thread, but prob appropriate here as well...

"If there's no forests, no trees, there can be no wildfires..."
UCP logic. Probably.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1783930409161728245
This, in an area that you need to pay for a "Conservation Pass" to access. From a government that want to double tourism. Absolutely ridiculous.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2024, 10:34 PM   #19180
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Also, this.

Will flood an area where millions were just donated to create a park and cancel any dreams of a Cochrane to Cgy bike path.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1784061600728809881
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote