Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #481
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Were hitting the Burgess Shales - Walcott Quarry hike this weekend. Anyone do this one? It seems pretty daunting from the emails from parks canada and such they have sent and what is required. But the actual hike seems not bad - 21 km and 825 m elevation gain.
If you hike regularly it's a pretty standard big day hike with some steep sections. If you don't hike regularly it would be difficult.

I think the warnings are because it's set up like a tour package they get people who may not be fit enough coming on the hike. Every tourist can't do the hike so they make it sound worse than it is.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #482
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Checked the expiry date on my bear spray after seeing that story about the lady who's expired bear spray came out in a trickle and noticed it is a year past due. Where do you recycle these? Will MEC take care of it?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #483
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Were hitting the Burgess Shales - Walcott Quarry hike this weekend. Anyone do this one? It seems pretty daunting from the emails from parks canada and such they have sent and what is required. But the actual hike seems not bad - 21 km and 825 m elevation gain.

Yeah, that doesn't seem too harsh, although loose scree will make it feel longer and higher. I would be interested in seeing photos if you take many. Burgess Shale seems really cool.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #484
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Checked the expiry date on my bear spray after seeing that story about the lady who's expired bear spray came out in a trickle and noticed it is a year past due. Where do you recycle these? Will MEC take care of it?
I usually find other people with expired cans and have a bear spray fight to drain the Canister.

But really you should go to a field somewhere and practice firing it. Even in non windy conditions you get some back spray that burns like hell
Old 07-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #485
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I organized a Walcott Quarry trip a few years back with a work group. We went out the night before and camped, which lead to a fairly brutal hangover setting out the next day. Considering that, it was a bit of a long day, but nothing about the hike was difficult. There were a number of non-hikers in our group that were pretty sore and tired at the end, but everyone enjoyed the trip and there were no significant troubles.

I'd highly recommend the trip, pretty good scenery, IMO the payoff of getting to the quarry was worth it. Depending on who you get for a babysitter, they can add a lot of value and information for "not rock people". Even the enginerds seemed happy with the trip for the most part.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RockLicker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 AM   #486
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a couple pretty cool fossil hikes just off highway 40, much closer and much easier though not as interesting I'm sure. Rockfall lake is just 5-6 km's and loaded with coral because the whole mountain slid at some point and created a little lake.

Lake of the Horns is another but is a bit longer.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #487
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLicker View Post
I organized a Walcott Quarry trip a few years back with a work group. We went out the night before and camped, which lead to a fairly brutal hangover setting out the next day. Considering that, it was a bit of a long day, but nothing about the hike was difficult. There were a number of non-hikers in our group that were pretty sore and tired at the end, but everyone enjoyed the trip and there were no significant troubles.

I'd highly recommend the trip, pretty good scenery, IMO the payoff of getting to the quarry was worth it. Depending on who you get for a babysitter, they can add a lot of value and information for "not rock people". Even the enginerds seemed happy with the trip for the most part.
Yah we have 8 in our group all pretty good hikers.. so hopefully the other 4 we get paired up with are good too! haha.

We waited too long to set up somewhere to stay the night before and were not big campers so will be driving from Calgary in the morning. Going to be an early day!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #488
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
MEC will not take care of it. You have to take it to the Fire Station.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #489
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
But really you should go to a field somewhere and practice firing it. Even in non windy conditions you get some back spray that burns like hell
Seconded. Nothing worse than having the first time you use it be when you're face to face with a bear. Always good to see what it's like to use before you need it.

If you just want to discharge it for disposal, fill up your bathtub and discharge it under water.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #490
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you spray it on a steak for seasoning? Mmmmm pepper steak.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #491
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

That’s also known as Cretien-style steak poivre.

I guess if I decide to go and spray it in the wild, I should probably record the hilarity that ensues when a sudden wind-gust blows it all back at me.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #492
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
One squirt and you're south of the border!

cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #493
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s also known as Cretien-style steak poivre.

I guess if I decide to go and spray it in the wild, I should probably record the hilarity that ensues when a sudden wind-gust blows it all back at me.
You could always wear goggles if you're worried.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #494
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
You could always wear goggles if you're worried.

Everything that I know of goggles is that they do nothing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #495
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So we did this hike yesterday. We had an absolute blast! Was awesome hiking up to see fossils. Something you don’t get to do or see every day. We had a great guide that was very knowledgeable and was able to tell us a ton of information which was great. The only complaint is the pace she set could have been faster and less breaks. We could have been 2-3 hours quicker i thought. Started at 7:30 am back at the cars at 6:00 pm.

Highly recommend you guys check this out. Was a great experience.

We drove in from Calgary that morning so it was a very long day. I suggest you get a place closer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #496
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So we did this hike yesterday. We had an absolute blast! Was awesome hiking up to see fossils. Something you don’t get to do or see every day. We had a great guide that was very knowledgeable and was able to tell us a ton of information which was great. The only complaint is the pace she set could have been faster and less breaks. We could have been 2-3 hours quicker i thought. Started at 7:30 am back at the cars at 6:00 pm.

Highly recommend you guys check this out. Was a great experience.

We drove in from Calgary that morning so it was a very long day. I suggest you get a place closer!
Were there other people in your group who needed the slower pace? Did the guide need it?
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #497
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was down in writing in stone for the weekend and hiked into Davis couliee. It’s a really neat 5km or so off trail hike and the coulee narrows down to form a neat little canyon section.

That and hiking through the hoodoos was real neat. Had never been there before.

Last edited by GGG; 08-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:14 PM   #498
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Were there other people in your group who needed the slower pace? Did the guide need it?
I think a couple in the other part of group sort of appreciated it, but I got the feeling the guide did the pace they are sort of told to do. We left and got back right at the times they said we would but some of us could have shaved 2-3 hours off I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #499
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife, a friend and I just got back from the Ha Ling trail out by Canmore. Decent little hike, to be sure. Was nice to get there early and do it, as the trail was pretty narrow in a lot of places, making passing other hikers (as we came down) a bit tricky at times.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #500
zuluking
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would anyone recommend Tent Ridge in K-Country?

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness