Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help! Thoughts on potential computer upgrades?

Hey guys!

My computer currently has an ATI 4850 video card installed.

Any opinions on whether I should get another 4850 and CrossFire them or buy a newer card? What are the limits/problems associated with CrossFire?

If I bought another 4850 it would run me between $100-150. A newer card that would perform better than CrossFire 4850s would be (at minimum) the 5850 which would be ~$300.

Also, I am currently running a 500 GB SATA II drive as my main and a 350 GB IDE for extra storage.

Would upgrading to a Kingston 128 GB SSD and a 1.0 TB SATA II for storage significantly improve my performance?

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Thanks!

For reference, my baby:

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition
4 GB RAM
Sapphire ATI 4850 512 MB Video Card
HD 1: SATA II 500 GB
HD 2: IDE 350GB
Antec Skeleton Case
750W Antec Power Supply
Windows 7 Home Premium

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!

Last edited by Nehkara; 08-07-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Does your motherboard support crossfire? I have an 8800GT still and I can SLI them with a 2nd, but my motherboard only supports crossfire and not nvidia's SLI

That's a tough call.. crossfire and SLI have gotten a lot better recently with their performance but it still usually requires specific support in the driver (though I've read you can make your own profiles), so one thing would be to check if the games you play the most work well with crossfire.. it would suck if you got it and found out your #1 game got zero benefit.

You'd definitely see some benefit for the SSD as well, everyone that has one will tell you it's night and day, Anandtech says it's the one upgrade you can do that has the most impact on how fast you perceive your computer running. Just be careful with the Kingston ones make sure you do the full research on the drive, I think there's ones that are reasonably fast for the price, and ones that are cheaper but really slow.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Check out this Toms Hardware graphic card benchmark chart to get a basic idea of how 4850s in crossfire will stack up against a single faster card. They also have pretty good recommendations in the Best Graphic Cards for the Money articles.

Also consider that adding a 2nd graphic card is going to draw a lot of power and add heat to the case interior. If you go this route make sure your power supply and cooling is up to the task.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
Check out this Toms Hardware graphic card benchmark chart to get a basic idea of how 4850s in crossfire will stack up against a single faster card. They also have pretty good recommendations in the Best Graphic Cards for the Money articles.

Also consider that adding a 2nd graphic card is going to draw a lot of power and add heat to the case interior. If you go this route make sure your power supply and cooling is up to the task.
With my 750W PS I don't think it should be a problem.

Plus, I have an Antec Skeleton case, so cooling has never been an issue for me.

Thanks for the insight!

Antec Skeleton:

Old 08-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
FlamingStuffedTiger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just out of curiosity, how much is the SSD you are looking at? I'm also thinking of upgrading my hard drive to SSD soon and it would be nice to know how much I should be expecting to shell out for one. Thanks.

~ Calvin & Hobbes ~
FlamingStuffedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Does your motherboard support crossfire? I have an 8800GT still and I can SLI them with a 2nd, but my motherboard only supports crossfire and not nvidia's SLI

That's a tough call.. crossfire and SLI have gotten a lot better recently with their performance but it still usually requires specific support in the driver (though I've read you can make your own profiles), so one thing would be to check if the games you play the most work well with crossfire.. it would suck if you got it and found out your #1 game got zero benefit.

You'd definitely see some benefit for the SSD as well, everyone that has one will tell you it's night and day, Anandtech says it's the one upgrade you can do that has the most impact on how fast you perceive your computer running. Just be careful with the Kingston ones make sure you do the full research on the drive, I think there's ones that are reasonably fast for the price, and ones that are cheaper but really slow.
Have you heard anything bad about the Kingston SSDs? The user reviews at Newegg are good.

I read website reviews on it as well, they all say pretty much the same thing. It is on the slower end for SSDs but still blows away any HDD on the market by a wide margin and is by far the best price for an SSD (128 GB is $240).

Quote:
The Kingston V SNV425-S2 may not be the fastest SSD on the market, but it's no slouch, and with an excellent price, you get a very capable SSD, and the value offered here is the most impressive feature. The Kingston SNV425-S2 is probably one of the first "affordable" SSDs on the market that isn't a basement-dweller in terms of performance. Frankly, with these respectable numbers and amazing price, this drive is sure to make many consumers jump onto the SSD bandwagon.
~ PureOC Review

Quote:
Legit Bottom Line: Kingston has really put the pressure on the other SSD manufacturers with their 128GB SSDNow V Series drive. With solid performance for an entry-level drive and $2/GB pricing that even SSD upgrade holdouts will find hard to resist, I have a feeling retailers will have a hard time keeping these drives on the shelves.
~ Legit Reviews

Last edited by Nehkara; 08-07-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingStuffedTiger View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much is the SSD you are looking at? I'm also thinking of upgrading my hard drive to SSD soon and it would be nice to know how much I should be expecting to shell out for one. Thanks.
Prices are nice right now for the Kingston SSDs.

At Memory Express (as of today):

Bare Drive/Kit
$100/110 for 30 GB.
$110/130 for 64 GB.
$205/240 for 128 GB. (Bare Drive completely sold out)

The Following User Says Thank You to Nehkara For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
photon

Exp:

The Kingston is good though it really hurts in the random write category:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3667/o...-mp-firmware/5

As you say it's still a lot stronger than a normal hard drive, but for me I'd rather go a little bit further, spend the extra $60 and get a drive that doesn't have the same slowness in that area:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...y&promoid=1058
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

4850's crossfired would be quite powerful, equivalent to a modern day $300+ 5850 despite only have 512MB of ram. Since it is an older card, perhaps you can find one used?

Tom's Hardware 1680x1050 no AA Sum of Benchmarks VGA CHART:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...1050,2258.html

ATI Radeon HD 4850 CF
(2x512 MB)

ATI Radeon HD 5850
(1024 MB)

Tom's Hardware 1920x1200 4xAA Sum of Benchmarks VGA CHART:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...1200,2261.html

ATI Radeon HD 4850 CF
(2x512 MB)

Sapphire Toxic HD5850 2G GDDR5
(HD 5850 2048 MB)

I'd say it's value for money versus buying a new $300 card to just spend $150 to CF them. The only area of concern is that the 512MB of ram will limit your ability to use higher resolutions and higher levels of AA in addition to the maximum texture sizes of some games like Grand Theft Auto 4 and Starcraft II or if you like to use custom texture packs for some games like Oblivion/Fallout 3, etc.

Use the saved $150 to buy yourself an SSD and you are off to the races. You could also use the money saved to buy a better cooling solution and overclock that Phenom X4 9850 to around 3.0 GHz.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-07-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did SLI once with a pair of 7900 GS. I didn't like it. First of all it gets a bit loud. Secondly even though FRAPS showed framerate increases from a single card a lot of times the graphics did not seem smooth as indicated and some games gave me mouse lag. Google SLI and microstutter to find out more.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
FlamingStuffedTiger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Actually, I have my eye on this guy:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-378-_-Product

Anyone have any idea how this one compares with other SSDs out there?

~ Calvin & Hobbes ~
FlamingStuffedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #12
photon

Exp:

It uses a SF-1200 controller and it's 120GB so it'll be between the OCZ Agility 2 I linked above, and the OCZ Vertex 2 (http://www.anandtech.com/show/3681/o...f1200-reviewed).. There's different versions of firmware that Sandforce (the company making the SF-1200) are giving to manufacturers so while both the Agility 2 and the Vertex 2 (and the Gskill drive) use the SF-1200, they'll have different ratings for IOPS.

From what I'm reading this drive has the same high IOPS firmware that the Vertex 2 does, so it should be the same as the Vertex 2 in terms of performance, which means it'll be one of the best drives out there.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/343...e/index12.html

And the Vertex 2 has a mail-in rebate where this doesn't!
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #13
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If we are derailing Nek's thread into SSD discussion, I understand that there were issues with raiding SSDs before due to loss of trim support. Has this changed lately? All my regular SATAs are full but I have two RAID ports unused and sometimes it's economically cheaper to buy two smaller capacity drives and Raid 0 them.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a video card, I'd look at the new GTX 460 and 465. The 460 is about $200 and is said to be the best bang for the buck right now.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #15
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingStuffedTiger View Post
Actually, I have my eye on this guy:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...-378-_-Product

Anyone have any idea how this one compares with other SSDs out there?

Here are some benchmarks:

'

Note, a lot of the drives Photon is speaking of are not included in these benchmarks and are better than the ones that are.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, Photon, a drive like the Corsair F120 which uses the SandForce SD-1200 and is only $320 and has a $50 mail-in rebate is probably a good deal?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #17
photon

Exp:

Yeah that's a pretty good deal, the F120 is listed as having a lower IOPS rating as the Vertex 2, but the difference doesn't seem to make much difference in real world performance, and only a tiny difference in the benchmarks:

http://www.storagereview.com/corsair...120_ssd_review

It's kind of annoying though, with Sandforce basically playing with the parameters of the chips for different manufacturers. Makes it hard to compare apples to apples.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If we are derailing Nek's thread into SSD discussion, I understand that there were issues with raiding SSDs before due to loss of trim support. Has this changed lately? All my regular SATAs are full but I have two RAID ports unused and sometimes it's economically cheaper to buy two smaller capacity drives and Raid 0 them.
It's still true; RAID controllers don't currently pass through TRIM commands to the drives. But I've read some articles trying that and said that it isn't as bad as it would seem, that the latest drives are more resilient to performance degradation. I'll try and find some of the articles later.

Once you price it out though it's almost the same thing, at least for the 64GB drives and the 120ish GB drives.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
It's still true; RAID controllers don't currently pass through TRIM commands to the drives. But I've read some articles trying that and said that it isn't as bad as it would seem, that the latest drives are more resilient to performance degradation. I'll try and find some of the articles later.

Once you price it out though it's almost the same thing, at least for the 64GB drives and the 120ish GB drives.
Use software RAID instead, and then the TRIM commands will be passed down. Keep in mind that unless you have a dedicated RAID controller, and I’m not talking about the junk on consumer motherboards, that software RAID is going to run just as fast, particularly RAID-0 and RAID-1, where there is no CPU overhead for parity calculations.

There are other benefits to software RAID too, namely that you can take those drives and plug them into any other system and the RAID’ed partitions will be usable without being tied to specific hardware implementations.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #20
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't answer any questions about trim but still an interesting video about SSDs in Raid.

Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote