Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #201
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is that a fact? If so, I sure don't recall anything of the sort.

Even if this was Brouwer's response I am quite certain that it was not in conflict with how the team wanted him to respond.

Troy Brouwer dismissed such a notion with a grin, which was fitting, given he’d lost two teeth in the same game Johnny Gaudreau had his season digitally altered"

Brower laughed about it even though somebody had knocked out a couple of his teeth in the same game. #Leadership.

From the Herald article. Yet there are posters who think we need players like basic on our opening roster as a deterrent.

Last edited by Jimdon; 08-04-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #202
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I tend to think that since players ignore virtually everything printed in the media this response was not at all an issue. Why would anyone on the team who speaks to Brouwer every day care about something he said in an interview?
Taken out of context, I must say that sounds spurious.
Samonadreau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #203
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is that a fact? If so, I sure don't recall anything of the sort.

Even if this was Brouwer's response I am quite certain that it was not in conflict with how the team wanted him to respond.

It was the game where Johnny got slashed like 15-20 times ( depending what you read ) . I thought the comment from Brower that he wasn't going to step up and defend your best player was kinda lame but then nobody stepped up
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #204
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdon View Post
Troy Brouwer dismissed such a notion with a grin, which was fitting, given he’d lost two teeth in the same game Johnny Gaudreau had his season digitally altered"

Brower laughed about it even though somebody had knocked out a couple of his teeth in the same game. #Leadership.

From the Herald article. Yet there are posters who think we need players like basic on our opening roster as a deterrent.

Again, why does any roster player care about what Troy Brouwer says in a newspaper interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #205
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Here's the actual quotes from Brouwer:

Quote:
“It’s an unfortunate circumstance,” said Brouwer, who has made a living out of administering the same sort of abuse to every star player he’s ever faced.

“I know in my game I give a lot of top players good whacks and stuff. You obviously don’t want to let it be happening to your team, but star players are going to be keyed on. It’s no different than what we do (to the opposition).”
Same sentiment from Gultuzan:
Quote:
“We’re not new to the game – we’ve seen this for years,” said Gulutzan, who accepts it as part of the game.

“We’ve had conversations about other stars around the league and no one wants to lose a player like that. But these things happen. Everybody has to go through this stuff. It’s just the way it is.”

“I don’t know if greater team toughness could prevent a whack – I don’t agree with that,” said Gulutzan.

“You can only do so such. When guys are swinging sticks on power plays and penalty kills – and they’re not vicious swings – they’re slashes.”
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #206
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Again, why does any roster player care about what Troy Brouwer says in a newspaper interview?
If one if my teammates said to the media that another player taking liberties and injuring me was no big deal while simultaneously doing nothing about it on the ice when he was being paid a big paycheck because he was a tough guy I would care. Maybe that's just me. Brouwer did nothing that I can recall to ever stick up for his teammates last yesr, and then makes a statement like this when asked about it. If he was contributing elsewhere this would be a non issue. You seem to be implying that what he said in his interview was different than what he did on the ice. My argument is that they were one and the same.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #207
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't necessarily blame Brouwer for his take on the Johnny situation.

I do think it's false how people point to "enforcers" or "sherriffs" as deterrents, and cite those reasons to keep subpar players around. Not Brouwer nor Ferland nor Engelland nor Hamonic nor Bollig nor McGrattan will deter this stuff. So evaluate them for what they bring, not what you perceive them to influence.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #208
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Here's the actual quotes from Brouwer:

Same sentiment from Gultuzan:
Seems different than how some others were characterizing it.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #209
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

and they’re not vicious swings – they’re slashes.”

I have no idea what this statement means. It seems pretty silly to me. Players and coaches can't say what they actually mean in he media, the league would lose their mind if they both said we should go after them for what they did.

But just for curiosity sakes, can you find any other times when a team's best player was injured on an illegal play, whether it was slashing, elbowing, boarding or any other time when their teammate went on the record as saying it was no big deal because it was just part of the game?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #210
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I don't necessarily blame Brouwer for his take on the Johnny situation.

I do think it's false how people point to "enforcers" or "sherriffs" as deterrents, and cite those reasons to keep subpar players around. Not Brouwer nor Ferland nor Engelland nor Hamonic nor Bollig nor McGrattan will deter this stuff. So evaluate them for what they bring, not what you perceive them to influence.
That's fair. How would you evaluate Brouwer on what he actually brought?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #211
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Brouwer's and Gulutzan's statements were the proper way to reply in the media: it's part of the game, no big deal, etc.

If you talk about retribution, all you do is bring the attention of the league and referees upon your team.

If you whine, you sound like whiners.

The correct response is "it's part of the game". But then you have to get even - and by that I mean you have to demonstrate to other teams that you won't take that crap and if they dish it out, they're going to get it back in spades.

And that's where the Flames regularly let me down.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: