Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #21
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hope we are not dangling Bennett for Harmonic...
Old 06-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Is he worth the kind of rumored assets NYI want? Heck no
Which are?
I haven't seen anything mentioned.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #23
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like we should just go after Demers and take the full cap hit off Florida's hands.

Probably comes a lot cheaper.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #24
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrader View Post
Hope we are not dangling Bennett for Harmonic...
Zero chance IMO
Old 06-22-2017, 01:01 PM   #25
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Harmonic is quickly becoming the most overated D in the league.

I actually wonder how many people have ever watched him play!

Is he above average? Sure. Would he be great as a 4th D? Sure. Is he worth the kind of rumored assets NYI want? Heck no
Top 4 dmen are worth boatloads in trade. Especially when they are signed for reasonable prices.

Dmen in general are worth a ton in trades. Look at every trade deadline.

You'd have to think Treliving won't give up more for Hamonic than he gave up for Hamilton.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #26
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Like I said in the trade rumours thread, adding Methot/Hamonic and Stone would give us one of the best defences in the league. Don't know exactly how feasible it is. But I do like the names being mentioned. Ideally we'd add two #4 defensemen who are more the physical, defensive defensemen types. That allows us to work in an Andersson or Kulak as the 6th dman and have a nice balance of puck moving, skating, physicality, strength, etc.
These so called `Super' defense units with too many top 3-4 guys seldom seem to work out.

Nashville works well because they have a clearly established top 4, and a third pair that they can play for 12 minutes a night. Tying to shuffle 5 guys for top 4 ice time just seems to result in a unit that lacks cohesiveness.

Really I thought Stone was a nice addition last year because him and Brodie did play well together and the Flames had a top 4 they could put out for 48 minutes a night. The players all seemed to know what their role was, and were able to play that role.

I think you want to have that top 4, and emerging guys on the bottom pair who can take a bit more when injuries hit. But if you try to play an entire season with 5 top 4 guys...I think the unit as a whole doesn't seem to find it's stride.

So once they find a true number 4, I'd be looking to the bargain bin for another 5-6-7 guy come in and compete with the lower end depth.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #27
DallasFlamesFan
Draft Pick

I'm not sure that Hamonic will be good value right now and I'm just as happy signing Stone and going after a top 6RW. With that said, he could be a nice addition if he could be had for something around 1st + Wotherspoon/Poirier/Klimchuk or possibly 1st + Kulak/Shinkaruk. Doesn't sound like those get it done though and we shouldn't be paying any more.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #28
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather use the 16th pick on a skill player than use it in a package for one of these guys. Seems to be a little early in the rebuild to abandon the draft/develop process and trade first round picks especially for an older player like Methot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #30
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano - Hamilton
TJ Brodie - Hamonic
Kylington - Stone

Pretty balanced D. A lot of cap into it with Stone signed at $3.5 or so but its deep, well balanced and 5 of them are 27 or under.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #31
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

@Erick Estrada: Hamonic is 26...

Old 06-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Giordano - Hamilton
TJ Brodie - Hamonic
Kylington - Stone

Pretty balanced D. A lot of cap into it with Stone signed at $3.5 or so but its deep, well balanced and 5 of them are 27 or under.
I think there's at least two or maybe three defensemen ahead of Kylington in the organizational depth chart.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
@Erick Estrada: Hamonic is 26...
@TheScorpion: Please re-read my post..... I realize Hamonic isn't old but I still don't like the team going for it this early.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #34
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think there's at least two or maybe three defensemen ahead of Kylington in the organizational depth chart.
I would assume Andersson goes the other way in a Hamonic trade but yeah go ahead and put Kulak or Wotherspoon in place of Kylington as it IMO it would be those three battling for the 6 and 7 spots along with Bartkowsi.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #35
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noooooooo on methotrexate pls
Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #37
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic makes 3.87m until 2020. That's a pretty sweet deal for a legitimate top 4 defenseman in his mid 20s, I thought he'd make more. In terms of cap, the Flames could easily trade for Hamonic, re-sign Stone and take care of their RFAs.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #38
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am certainly pro Hamonic. He replaces a lot of what Engellend did butnisnyounger and better. His contract is appealing as he does not even make $4M per. Trade for him and give Stone a 3 year deal the Flames blueline would be among the most formidable in the league for the next 3 years.

No to trading Bennett, Jankowski, Anderson, Parsons. I am okay with other prospects and picks being in the deal.

Do this and sign a decent winger in free agency like a Marleau for 2 years and the team is shaping up nicely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #39
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

If Hamonic was acquired, there is a serious log jam for our D prospects, one would have to be going the other way.

I'll play the trade game

To NYI - 2017 1st, Kylington, Kulak

To YYC - Hamonic, 2018 2nd Rd pick
Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #40
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Like I said in the trade rumours thread, adding Methot/Hamonic and Stone would give us one of the best defences in the league. Don't know exactly how feasible it is. But I do like the names being mentioned. Ideally we'd add two #4 defensemen who are more the physical, defensive defensemen types. That allows us to work in an Andersson or Kulak as the 6th dman and have a nice balance of puck moving, skating, physicality, strength, etc.
If they can pick up Methot/Hamonic and re-sign Stone then I think they should just roll with what they have at that point.

Would probably be too difficult to add a top RW with the money tied up on D and Stajan and Bouma contracts still on the books for a year, but the Flames offence with the current crop over the past 3 seasons has still been in the upper half of the league. So if you can really beef up the blue line, just go with the same forwards, add a Jankowski and see what Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett and Tkachuk can do with another year of maturation.

I'd see a team similar to Nashville if they can really bolster the 4-6 positions on defence.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread