Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #41
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aw, goalies steal your heart, don't they?

My guess is that he ends up on Drury Lane somewhere.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickk382 View Post
Man, I feel like Smith is going to disappoint you guys. Don't get me wrong, I really hope not.

Can't wait for this forum to blow up about him staying in his net and quit playing with the puck.
After the last couple of seasons of preposterously bad goaltending all Smith has to do is not epically suck and he'll be a home-run.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #43
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is he done in Calgary for sure? He can still be the backup IMO if he were to take on less than what he made when he signed on with Calgary. Yeah, his first year was a failed attempt but I think hes still got what it takes to be a pretty damn good goalie.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:43 AM   #44
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just want the days to be over when there is a shot on goal from any distance or angle and I cringe because I am not sure if there will be a big juicy rebound or another fluky goal for the other team. It gets painful after a while.

Elliott was good and saved our season, crapping the bed in the playoffs, just inexcusable IMO. Maybe another season here could have helped him become more comfortable, who knows. I think we will see some growing pains to start the season with Smith, no matter what just until he gets used to playing with his new teammates.

Thank you Brian for coming in and helping us make the playoffs in your first season, at times you were a rock. I hope he lands somewhere and gets another shot.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #45
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
Is he done in Calgary for sure? He can still be the backup IMO if he were to take on less than what he made when he signed on with Calgary. Yeah, his first year was a failed attempt but I think hes still got what it takes to be a pretty damn good goalie.
As stated before, it would cost us a 3rd round pick to re-sign him. That would make that option far less likely.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #46
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
I just want the days to be over when there is a shot on goal from any distance or angle and I cringe because I am not sure if there will be a big juicy rebound or another fluky goal for the other team. It gets painful after a while.

Elliott was good and saved our season, crapping the bed in the playoffs, just inexcusable IMO. Maybe another season here could have helped him become more comfortable, who knows. I think we will see some growing pains to start the season with Smith, no matter what just until he gets used to playing with his new teammates.

Thank you Brian for coming in and helping us make the playoffs in your first season, at times you were a rock. I hope he lands somewhere and gets another shot.
The season likely wouldnt have needed saving if he hadnt stumbled out of the gates like a drunk on New Year's.

He likely will land somewhere, I'm sure he'll be fine, but hes probably looking at a backup position for likely less money than he'd prefer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #47
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
As stated before, it would cost us a 3rd round pick to re-sign him. That would make that option far less likely.

Oh right, I forgot about the Conditional pick we traded to get him.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #48
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The team also set a record and at the end of the day were still a wildcard team that was swept in the first round. Elliott did not steal games during that run. He played very well during that stretch but so did the whole group
We don't beat Pittsburgh without Elliott standing on his head in OT and the shootout.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #49
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully both Elliott and the Flames organization learned something from this experience and can apply that knowledge in future play and dealings. It's too bad it didn't work out as planned/expected for both sides.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
The team also set a record and at the end of the day were still a wildcard team that was swept in the first round. Elliott did not steal games during that run. He played very well during that stretch but so did the whole group
My point is that you could say the same about Vernon's previous record. I don't think Johnson sets the record in that stretch.

Anyway, during that streak he had save% above .940 7 times. He had two shutouts. He faced over 35 shots 4 times. 2 goals or less in 8 games.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #51
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without him, Flames miss playoffs. Unfortunately this is a team that should be aspiring for more than just making playoffs and he fell flat in the playoffs.

I wish so bad he could have worked out but those are the breaks. Good luck in the future Moose.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #52
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames may regret this one. Smith over Elliot is a downgrade in goaltending IMHO.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #53
daredevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does the 3rd round compensation pick count ONLY if the Flames sign him?

What if Vegas (or any other random team) signs him for a deal that the Flames agree to, and then they flip him to CGY for a 5-7th round pick? Win for the other team, and Flames... not so much for Blues.

Guess it's more a question of wording of compensation clauses, and if a team is willing to burn a bridge to go through a potential loophole.
daredevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #54
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
Does the 3rd round compensation pick count ONLY if the Flames sign him?
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #55
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Hard not to feel bad for Brian. Really tough way to end a season, and more importantly, a contract. Pretty easy to see there was very little chance of him coming back though.

Hope he rebounds well.
pun intentional?
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Flames may regret this one. Smith over Elliot is a downgrade in goaltending IMHO.
Well, the numbers from last season for both goalies would suggest that you are probably wrong. I think at worst this is a lateral move. It is a slight upgrade in that Smith's MD and HD SP are very good, he handles the puck well, and he is a known commodity who can play well in the course of +55 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I dont see that at all, Elliott was wild. He was either amazing or terrible and again, probably cost more games than he stole.

Smith is proven that he can deliver what we need. Stability in net. A steady, veteran presence. Consistent performance.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #58
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Without him, Flames miss playoffs.
That is impossible to say without knowing who we would have lieu of Elliott. Every opportunity has an opportunity cost as well.

I can't recall at this point who the other options were, besides Jones and Talbot (who we were outbid on).
Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 AM   #59
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
My point is that you could say the same about Vernon's previous record. I don't think Johnson sets the record in that stretch.

Anyway, during that streak he had save% above .940 7 times. He had two shutouts. He faced over 35 shots 4 times. 2 goals or less in 8 games.
He played well no doubt about it and was a key player during the streak but not the sole reason the team won 10 in a row and he was in net for 11 straight wins. He was however the sole reason the team lost game 3 (along with a BS high stick goal that counted).

I am not a really big fan of the Smith deal but did feel strongly that the team simply could not come back with Elliott next year. He finished with a very average .910 which is the result of him going .930 for a huge stretch and .890 for a huge stretch. Never has been a legit starter always a 1a/b type.

Elliott might be sad to leave the team but I am happy they moved on. Wish him well wherever he goes unless he plays the Flames
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #60
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Ultimately our other option was Bishop, but at the expense of the 6th (Tkachuk).

Flames are better off today.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote