Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Friedman: Elliott sad to leave Calgary

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...inal-nhl-game/

Quote:
17. Smith’s arrival in Calgary meant a departure for Elliott. Flames GM Brad Treliving phoned him with the news before the trade was final.

“I was disappointed for sure,” Elliott said Sunday night. “You put your heart and soul into a new team and city, knowing there’s a chance it’s only for the one year. You create relationships and friendships… fit in well, mesh well, to say goodbyes for now is kind of hard. I prepared myself for it, but it still feels like a kick in the gut when I got the call. They are going to be good, do great things. I wish them all well and wanted to be a part of that. Now I look for other opportunities out there.”

Elliott, a long shot as the 291st pick in the 2003 draft, is always at his best when challenged.

“I’m excited for this. I thrive on that type of atmosphere: if you tell me I can’t do it, I’ll be the first guy to tell you I can, and show you how I can. That’s how you get better. You have to battle your self-doubts and prove everyone wrong. I’m not going to shy away from a new city, a new team. The NHL provides you a unique ride. You can’t be mad at moving around, at the end of the day, it gives you another jersey to put on the wall.”

He and wife Amanda have an eight-month-old son, Owen, and are unafraid of moving around. Elliott added that the last time he was a free agent (2011), he had to sign a two-way contract in St. Louis. That was far more stressful.

18. Elliott had some interesting things to say about his year in Calgary and how he played. He thinks his early struggles came because he knew exactly how the St. Louis defencemen would make certain plays, and needed time to adjust to the Flames.

“Wherever I go next, I’m going to focus a lot right away on communication so I can hit the ground running. Jay Bouwmeester, Alex Pietrangelo, Kevin Shattenkirk, whether they would slide on a two-on-one, take away the back door or focus on the slot, I’d been with them so long I knew what they’d do. I knew when I could cheat a little more, or should do it less. It took a lot of video work with (Calgary goalie coach) Jordan Sigalet, but finally I felt better and could be more aggressive. It was a reminder that players aren’t going to change their tendencies in front of you, so you have to learn how to read a different team.”

I did ask Elliott about his final game for the Flames, Game 4 of the first-round series against Anaheim. The Ducks swept Calgary as he was pulled six minutes after puck drop.

“I felt good, made a couple of good saves right away. I set up to face that shot in that same situation 100 times before. This time, it went in. The nature of goaltending is that some times you don’t have the chance to redeem yourself. It’s not the successes you learn from, it’s your failures.”

Based in Wisconsin during the summers, he attends a goalie camp run by former Dallas coach Mike Valley. Among the other students: Jake Allen, Ben Bishop, Kari Lehtonen, and Darling. He joked they are enemies in the winter, friends in the summer. “You’re not doing yourself any favours if you’re not changing — goaltending evolves faster than the skaters do. We train together, talk to each other, watch video. Discuss how to play certain situations.”

19. Elliott took a couple of weeks off, and is now back preparing for next season. One of his off-season staples? Yoga. I hope I’m explaining this properly, but he says he’s a student of “Yin” Yoga, opposite the the traditional “Yang” Yoga.

“It forces you to hold stretches for five minutes. Your body wants to stop, your brain wants to stop, but you push through and open a lot of corners. I heard that Tim Thomas, late in his career, would only do yoga. He was like Gumby back there. Keeping your breathing calm helps in stressful exercises like goaltending.” Elliott paused. “Sometimes in the off-season, it’s a little harder to get going, but not this time. This is not the way I want to go out, for sure.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I wish him nothing but the best. I have no doubt that he'll land on his feet and do well wherever he ends up.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish he could have worked out.
He seemed like he was genuinely happy to be here, and to be part of the success. You always like to see that your players are really invested in the team and city.
I wish him all the best.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Unfortunate that things didn't click like everyone had hoped. I think the new team, new coach, late start for some players...wasn't a recipe for success. I hope he gets a shot somewhere else. Great guy and deserving of another go somewhere. Best of luck to him!
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sorry Ells, you're as nice as they come and didn't deserve to be publicly humiliated the way you did in game 4, but you just weren't good enough. I think you could have a chance to redeem yourself and be the guy on a young Winnipeg Jets team because I definitely think you have more to give than what you showed here.

Last edited by Love; 06-20-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Hard not to feel bad for Brian. Really tough way to end a season, and more importantly, a contract. Pretty easy to see there was very little chance of him coming back though.

Hope he rebounds well.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

He was a big part in us making the playoffs, I'll even say it, without him we wouldn't have made the playoffs and had a 10 game win streak. Unfortunately, he cracked under pressure. I'd love for him to be a starter elsewhere as he deserves it.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Sorry that it didn't work out here but I'm sure he will move on and find success elsewhere. I think he lands in Winnipeg and that they make the playoffs.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:42 PM   #9
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brutal way for his season to end, I really liked Moose and I wish him all the best in the upcoming season. Heck I would take him back as a backup if they had room for him.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Not only am I sad that Elliott didn't work out, I am also disappointed that he abandoned his all-red gear mid way through the season. It was beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #11
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Unfortunate it didn't work out any better. I liked Elliott and really thought he'd be the guy for a couple seasons. After the playoffs though there was just no way he'd be back. Wish him the best unless he ends up in Vancouver or Winnipeg.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #12
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

One of the best human beings, just didn't work out this time. Wish him and his family all the best!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great guy and it's a shame it didn't work out. I hope he finds a good situation for himself and his family.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #14
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy, but if Elliott did better against the Ducks, he probably has a nice 2-3 year contract right now. All that work to bounce back from his terrible start, and one bad playoff series completely ruined it.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #15
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Hope he does well.

I would not mind seeing him take a second chance, one year at backup pay here. I don't feel good about Smith.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #16
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah good luck Mr Elliott. I wish things worked out differently. You'll forever be in the Flames record books beside the franchises all time greatest (or 2ND greatest if you bump Vernon under Kipper)
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #17
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really wish it had worked out and he was able to establish himself as a true #1 for this team. But he gets to continue living the dream of playing hockey for a living so he will be fine.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Flames management would have given him a second chance based on the overall body of work but I don't think any goalie could perform well with the intense scrutiny he would be under in Calgary if he returned. It's best for Elliott to play elsewhere..
Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #19
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Am I the only one who read the thread title as Elliotte Friedman sad to leave Calgary?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #20
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always enjoyed chatting with Brian. He's a very interesting guy.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote