Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #41
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer has the most "value" of any of the players that we have available and the GM for Vegas did burn a 1st previously to acquire him. However, they may opt not to go with his contract and go with Kulak, who probably has the 2nd most value of anyone on that list.

Despite everything Brouwer is only overpaid about 1 million dollars and that is only due to him having an abysmal season. I don't think that's too much of an inconvenience to Vegas.

We will see.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #42
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
How are some of you so sure that Vegas will want to take Brouwer?
Not sure at all. But I wouldn't be surprised. He has bigger resume than most on expansion list, he scored 20 a few times, and McPhee knows him very well. He had a terrible year, no doubt. The question is what they think his next year will be. And also their philosophy in building the team.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #43
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames can convince Vegas to take Brouwer, the Flames might be able to sign Oshie for that top line RW spot. That'd be nice.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #44
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
So, yet again, Treliving proves that he has no ego and is completely able to admit his mistakes. Hopefully, this can finally shut those up who keep second guessing him on that aspect.
Most people are second guessing him on the signing, not anything else. I guess we can praise Treliving for exposing him but that is rather faint praise, isn't it?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #45
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think Kulak, Wotherspoon, Shinkaruk, Stajan, Brouwer and Engelland seem like the realistic options for VGK. Almost impossible for us to guess which one as we don't know their opinions on these guys. Complicating matters is the waiver status of some of the kids and the positional requirements VGK will take.

My short list is Brouwer, Stajan, Kulak or Wotherspoon
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #46
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess Spector is just used to that "loyalty" thinking from EDM, after all, their management knows "a thing or two about winning".

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TBone290 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #47
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
How are some of you so sure that Vegas will want to take Brouwer?
Because Vegas will have trouble scoring goals and he's scored 163 career goals. Veteran leadership while still being relatively young, a known asset that McPhee is familiar with... just seems to make sense rather than taking one of our other unprotected players that either can't crack an NHL lineup or are approaching the end of their careers.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #48
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
so assuming Francis is correct and everyone else protected follows common logic:

Exposed:
Brouwer
Stajan
Shinkaruk
Poirier
F. Hamilton
Bollig
Vey
Chiasson
Versteeg

Bartowski
Engelland
Kulak
Culkin
Stone
Wotherspoon
Kostka
Wideman

McCollum
Elliott

everyone else in the org is exempt
So assuming Vegas isn't crazy - the guys you could potentially see them take:
Brouwer
Stajan
Shinkaruk
F. Hamilton
Chiasson
Bartowski
Kulak
Wotherspoon

Really not much there. I could see Stajan, Chiasson and maybe Bartowski as they'd be guys they could potentially move again at the trade deadline for an asset.

Brouwer is probably a pipe dream given the Flames already moved a pick today and can't see them offering up a sweetener to Vegas.

Hamilton, Kulak and Wotherspoon are cheap guys who've got reasonable NHL experience. Shinkauk probably has the biggest upside of the list but I'm sure there's about 20 guys like him available on other teams.

If I were to rank them as most likely to go:
1. Kulak
2. Chiasson
3. F.Hamilton
4. Stajan
5. Wotherspoon
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #49
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Spector is such a joke. It's like he was trying to put out there that if Treliving should feel much shame and embarrassment if he didn't protect Brouwer. Except our GM isn't a tool. Eat dirt Spector.

I know it's been discussed at length but now that this is confirmed, only good things can come of it.

1. Brouwer does NOT get picked by Vegas.

If Brouwer is still a Flame after the expansion draft I do believe he will have a fire lit under his arse next year because of this. Be the guy that Treliving was throwing that contract at. Show some leadership, heart and grit that he has in his career. That was the biggest part of giving him that contract. He will be better because of this.

2. Vegas picks Brouwer.

Can you say jackpot?

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #50
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My only reasons for hoping that they will take Brouwer are that he is an experienced player that the GM is familiar with and he would be a useful player for establishing a professional culture for what looks like it will be a roster full of younger players. Also, he has a contract for 3 more seasons, so it would be one of the few players who they wouldn't have to negotiate a contract with over the next two seasons.

I'd still be pretty surprised if they took him.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #51
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Spector is such a joke. It's like he was trying to put out there that if Treliving should feel much shame and embarrassment if he didn't protect Brouwer. Except our GM isn't a tool. Eat dirt Spector.

I know it's been discussed at length but now that this is confirmed, only good things can come of it.

1. Brouwer does NOT get picked by Vegas.

If Brouwer is still a Flame after the expansion draft I do believe he will have a fire lit under his arse next year because of this. Be the guy that Treliving was throwing that contract at. Show some leadership, heart and grit that he has in his career. That was the biggest part of giving him that contract. He will be better because of this.

2. Vegas picks Brouwer.

Can you say jackpot?
pretty much this.

i don't think anyone is 'sure' that Brouwer would get picked by vegas, but if he did, i think most fans would view it as a net gain (including guys that were pro-brouwer when he was signed, like myself)...

compare that to losing Ferland/Lazar... which would be a big loss of potential and which virtually all Flames fans would see as a major, avoidable loss...

I see this decision as a big kick in the butt for Brouwer and he will be better next year for it, be it with calgary or vegas...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #52
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

The reason I see Brouwer possibly being selected is not by only looking at our unprotected list, but by looking at the rest of the league. There are going to be plenty of unproven Grade B prospects available, and every team will have their own Kulak/Wotherspoon and Porier/Shinkaruk available.

If the last year never happened for Brouwer, I would imagine he would be a no-brainier selection for them, despite the warning signs during the last offseason. If his contract was more palatable, it would be an easier selection. But in context of his contract and last year, it's a much tougher sell.

Keep in mind that Las Vegas needs to field an NHL team this fall, and guys with experience and proven ability in the NHL will be important. They will need a 23-man roster of NHL players in September. Simplistically speaking, 7 of their 30 expansion draft selections will be farm or trade fodder, while 23 will be players for opening night.

Of course, there's more to it. They will add NHLers in UFA, and probably heavily. They will likely have more rookies on opening night than a typical team. And they will likely trade some of their selections for proven NHLers later in the offseason. That said, my wild guess is that about 15 players from the expansion draft (~half of their selections) will be on their opening night roster. As a result, I would guess that Las Vegas weighs current NHL ability higher than we weigh the prospect potential of our own players.

On a contradictory note - I think they will easily reach the cap floor. They'll go out and make a splash in the UFA market, and would likely rather overpay for players around their prime (Shattenkirk, Radulov, Oshie, Stone, etc) than for an expansion draft selection with poor trade value, such a Brouwer.

Ultimately, the selection from the Flames is far from a foregone conclusion, but I think it has more to do with what happens from selections from the rest of the league than it does with the Flames' roster.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #53
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
The reason I see Brouwer possibly being selected is not by only looking at our unprotected list, but by looking at the rest of the league. There are going to be plenty of unproven Grade B prospects available, and every team will have their own Kulak/Wotherspoon and Porier/Shinkaruk available.

If the last year never happened for Brouwer, I would imagine he would be a no-brainier selection for them, despite the warning signs during the last offseason. If his contract was more palatable, it would be an easier selection. But in context of his contract and last year, it's a much tougher sell.

Keep in mind that Las Vegas needs to field an NHL team this fall, and guys with experience and proven ability in the NHL will be important. They will need a 23-man roster of NHL players in September. Simplistically speaking, 7 of their 30 expansion draft selections will be farm or trade fodder, while 23 will be players for opening night.

Of course, there's more to it. They will add NHLers in UFA, and probably heavily. They will likely have more rookies on opening night than a typical team. And they will likely trade some of their selections for proven NHLers later in the offseason. That said, my wild guess is that about 15 players from the expansion draft (~half of their selections) will be on their opening night roster. As a result, I would guess that Las Vegas weighs current NHL ability higher than we weigh the prospect potential of our own players.

On a contradictory note - I think they will easily reach the cap floor. They'll go out and make a splash in the UFA market, and would likely rather overpay for players around their prime (Shattenkirk, Radulov, Oshie, Stone, etc) than for an expansion draft selection with poor trade value, such a Brouwer.

Ultimately, the selection from the Flames is far from a foregone conclusion, but I think it has more to do with what happens from selections from the rest of the league than it does with the Flames' roster.
Good post.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #54
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why would Vegas not take Brouwer....he's the only NHL player on that list...and by a longshot....everyone else was struggling to make our roster..
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #55
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
So, yet again, Treliving proves that he has no ego and is completely able to admit his mistakes. Hopefully, this can finally shut those up who keep second guessing him on that aspect.
I just wish he would quit making those same mistakes on free agent day...
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #56
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Vegas takes Stajan unless the Flames offer to trade them Kulak in order that they take Brouwer.

Stajan has 1 year left on his contract, is a good veteran influence, is a center, and if he has a half decent season in the faceoff dot will be flipped at the deadline.

I think VGK will think long and hard about Brouwer but also know Cgy would be keen to move that contract along.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:14 PM   #57
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I realize fans tend to get real down on disappointing players and think they have negative values. But really if you look at who's available from our list Brouwer likely has the best value league wide. Brouwer has been traded for a 1st rounder. Brouwer has been traded for TJ Oshie. Obviously he's not coming off his best season but whereas some fans see a guy who they think can never rebound, most GM's often give 2nd chances or fresh starts to players, especially ones they have a history with, know and trust. McPhee being the GM of VGK and his history of acquiring Brouwer makes it much more likely they take him IMO. But I also don't think its inconceivable that VGK gets some calls in the next week wondering if they'd take Brouwer, flip him to another team, maybe eating 1 million in salary in the process. Brouwer at 3.5 million may be very attractive to several teams. And Brouwer at 4.5 million may still be somewhat attractive to VGK or another team.

I'd say Brouwer has the most value of our exposed players. Stajan likely has the 2nd most. Unless the VGK scouts are really high on Kulak or Shinkaruk or somebody I think losing one of those 2 vets may what happens.

What is impossible to predict is if Treliving has a deal worked out with VGK to take someone in particular.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #58
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Vegas just takes BPA, it will probably be Brouwer.

If there are better wingers available from other teams and a weak selection of centres, I think Stajan is a definite possibility.

They'll also need players who can move between the AHL and NHL next year, so someone like Kulak or Wotherspoon could fit that bill.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #59
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Vegas is also picking players for the Chicago Wolves. It's not inconceivable they select a few project-type players.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett protected eh? So Monahan and Gaudreau as well?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: