Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #61
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doe anyone have an extra public mobile sim?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #62
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

PM'ed
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #63
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just activated one SIM, waiting for the number to port. Don't freak out that the 4 GB plan isn't accessible from the website anymore, it can still be set up through the activation process.

Edit: Number port took about 2 hours from Rogers.

Last edited by InglewoodFan; 11-19-2016 at 08:15 PM.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #64
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
PM'ed
Thanks jeep991! Would love to get one more if anyone has an extra they ordered and didn't end up using.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #65
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The $40 deal is done (I assume), but what happens when you go to renew your 90 day plan? If you got in on the $40 deal wouldnt you just go right back up to current prices? Looks like the same plan is around $65/month. My concern with Public Mobile is that they might drop the 90 day plans to get more customers signed up, and then raise their prices when they go to renew the plan
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:42 PM   #66
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
The $40 deal is done (I assume), but what happens when you go to renew your 90 day plan? If you got in on the $40 deal wouldnt you just go right back up to current prices? Looks like the same plan is around $65/month. My concern with Public Mobile is that they might drop the 90 day plans to get more customers signed up, and then raise their prices when they go to renew the plan
They've been saying they grandfather the rate but who really knows. But the parent company is Telus so I can't see them pulling anything fishy like this without any back laah.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #67
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
But the parent company is Telus so I can't see them pulling anything fishy like this
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #68
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just paid for the next 90 days, with discounts for auto-pay and one referral and including taxes it is working out to $72.95 a month for two phones with 4 GB each. Less than half of what we were paying with Rogers. On the first 90 days out of 12 GB available I used about 8.9 GB. Coverage was never a problem but we didn't stray far out of town during that period.

All in all, very satisfied and am on the lookout for them to offer the deal again so I can get the kids on it too. I have them on Freedom and the coverage is just not as good. Plus I can save another $6-7 changing from Freedom to Public.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #69
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, also hit first renewal. Very happy with PM. Other than what name shows up as my carrier on my phone, no difference in quality of service at all. Oh, and the bill is obviously a hell of a lot better.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #70
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Just paid for the next 90 days, with discounts for auto-pay and one referral and including taxes it is working out to $72.95 a month for two phones with 4 GB each. Less than half of what we were paying with Rogers. On the first 90 days out of 12 GB available I used about 8.9 GB. Coverage was never a problem but we didn't stray far out of town during that period.

All in all, very satisfied and am on the lookout for them to offer the deal again so I can get the kids on it too. I have them on Freedom and the coverage is just not as good. Plus I can save another $6-7 changing from Freedom to Public.
That is a really good deal. So assuming one phone instead of two it would work out to around $36 per month? If so - I need to watch for their next deal. I was hesitant at first as I didn't know what their rates would be on renewal (after 90 days) but sounds like they're keeping it the same
Old 02-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #71
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am happy so far but I ran into problems with my auto renewal. On the day of my renewal my service disconnected for a day because apparently my account was in "arrears". Thing is I had auto renewal payment that was properly set up with the right payment method and everything so I should have never ran into this situation.

I was messing around with APN settings and everything for half a day trying to figure out what was going on because I couldn't dial out or get data and it wasn't until I sat down and looked at the forum posts that I went to my account and manually clicked the payment button. Account was up again within half hour after that. It's really annoying they don't have a help line for situations like this and you have to either message a Mod on the forum or email them and wait up to 48 hours.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #72
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to Public mobile too, thanks to CP. The best part was cancelling my Rogers account. My experience and savings are on par with InglewoodFan.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #73
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
It's really annoying they don't have a help line for situations like this and you have to either message a Mod on the forum or email them and wait up to 48 hours.
You should have been fully aware of this going in though.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #74
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
You should have been fully aware of this going in though.
Oh I was aware, just expected there to be much less issues and a more tolerant billing system.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #75
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll agree the billing system needs some polishing. Luckily my first renewal went through without issue. Hope it keeps up.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:09 PM   #76
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
That is a really good deal. So assuming one phone instead of two it would work out to around $36 per month? If so - I need to watch for their next deal. I was hesitant at first as I didn't know what their rates would be on renewal (after 90 days) but sounds like they're keeping it the same
Probably $38 or so for one phone, it starts at $40 and there is $2 a month off for autopay and then more for referrals (in my case I referred my wife after setting up my account)
Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #77
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Public Mobile currently has a deal for bonus data on most of their plans. For anyone who has signed up for one of their plans - any issues with auto renewal after 90 days? If you sign up for the 3 + 3GB data plan for 90 days, does that continually roll forward every 90 days or is that just for the first 90 days then the bonus data disappears? I'm with Koodo right now ($55 SK plan) and wouldnt mind switching but not if its a big hassle every 90 days

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/plans
Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #78
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been through 3 90 day renewals now. No problems with any of them. I've remained on the same plan each time I renew.

I was a bit nervous making the switch as I did read about some people having issues with no service on their phone when porting their number. I did not have any problems like that, you just have to follow the instructions.

I'm still happy I made the switch. The only downside to PM is no service outside Canada or US. But for how often that comes up, it's well worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #79
GreenHardHat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just got a message from Public Mobile that they are raising the price of the plan but I could switch to Koodo for a similar price:

Quote:
Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for [phone number]. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.
Looks like there is a big thread on red flad deals about it too.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/publ...redit-2171469/

I'm not sure what I'll do yet...
GreenHardHat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #80
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. I haven't received a text like that myself. But if that's the kind of plans Koodo is going to start rolling out, no harm in switching.

As I said in my above post, the only gripe I have with PM is no service outside Canada/US. Does Koodo have a roam like home package? If so, I'd switch now.

**edit**

N/M, just had to read what was in front of me......

Yes, they do. A bit more than others I think at $7/day in the US and $10/day international. I may actually make the switch, thanks for posting this!

**more edit**

Wow, even on the International roam package, calls back to Canada are included as well as calls around whatever country you are in. That's pretty damn reasonable.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 02-15-2018 at 02:58 PM.